BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

BPM

08-12-2009, 08:35 AM   #1
dizman7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 99 E36 M3 Cabio

Question Rain and Leather?

<SIGH> Man I love the midwest weather

The forecast for today was 0% chance of rain with high of 86.

When I get to work I left my windows cracked a bit so it didn't get really hot in there. About 20mins ago just complete crazy @ss downpour out of nowhere! WTF!

Realizing my umbrella is in my car I just ask some random guy who walked in the door for his umbrella and ran the quarter to half a mile to the car (I have to wear business casual so I didn't want to be COMPLETELY soaked). Luckily I had a microfiber towel in the glove box and could wipe most of it off the seats and doors but it wasn't big enough to get it completely dry everywhere.

So my question is how bad is this for the leather? I've never had leather before aside from a couple of jackets. I got the car in Feb and I just started to condition the leather recently (with BMW leather care product) as of this past weekend but only got the drivers seat done.

Now that I think about it I don't think I wiped off the passenger back seat that had water sitting on the edge of it.

<SIGH> Why do I bother to have nice things?
      08-12-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 DY/2010 E92 M3

I don't have any personal experience with the BMW leather - however in terms of leather couches... generally... the most important thing is to take most of the moisture/water away. a little water isn't going to damage the leather extensively.

You raise a very good point though and I will be interested to hear what other people say to your question.

Regards.
1996 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow - SOLD
2004 Honda Accord Euro - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 11:31 AM   #3
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Just recondition it again. And leave windows cracked in your garage until all moisture evaporates. I guess you learned your lesson: never leave your windows cracked again . Buy a windshield sunshield and get your windows tinted instead (and make sure you don't have 'recirc' engaged so heat gets out of the car), which would also prolong the life of your interior . Take care.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
dizman7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Just recondition it again. And leave windows cracked in your garage until all moisture evaporates. I guess you learned your lesson: never leave your windows cracked again . Buy a windshield sunshield and get your windows tinted instead (and make sure you don't have 'recirc' engaged so heat gets out of the car), which would also prolong the life of your interior . Take care.
Ok, thanks for the help!

I do have a windsheild sunscreen for the front window, it was in place too. I don't know if different types make a different but I have a pair of half-ones that are callapsable into a circle so I can hide them under the sit, instead of one of the tall one-piece ones.

It's a lease so I'm pretty sure I can't tint the windows though. Does that really noticiblly help out on keeping the interior cooler in the summer?

Wait, so your saying that by turning OFF Recirculate Air, it makes the inside cool down faster and prolongs the life of the interior? Really? I guess that makes sense as it would just be recirculating the hot air, but it's always been my observation that recirc usually made it get colder faster, at least in my old car, haven't played with it in this one.
      08-12-2009, 04:03 PM   #5
Georgeair
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 Melbourne E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizman7 View Post
Wait, so your saying that by turning OFF Recirculate Air, it makes the inside cool down faster and prolongs the life of the interior? Really?
I'm pretty sure he's talking about while it's parked......
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 05:31 PM   #6
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeair View Post
I'm pretty sure he's talking about while it's parked......
Indeed .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizman7 View Post
Wait, so your saying that by turning OFF Recirculate Air, it makes the inside cool down faster and prolongs the life of the interior? Really?
I mentioned 'recirc' because many folks drive with it ON, and that doesn't allow the heat to escape the car when parked. And yes, tinted windows definitely help a lot, and am almost positive you can install them on a leased car as long as it's legal (usually 35% or higher), so you should check with your dealer.

Those collapsible sunshields are convenient, but allow a ton of heat into the car. I'd get a 1-piece unit. I bought the expensive OEM, but leaves a gaping hole below the mirror, plus it's bulky and heavy as hell, so I don't recommend it. Just buy a 'jumbo' one at any auto parts store (you'd need to leave one of the end flaps folded) while you find a truly custom-built one, then let me know where you bought it . Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 10:33 PM   #7
dizman7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
I bought the expensive OEM, but leaves a gaping hole below the mirror, plus it's bulky and heavy as hell, so I don't recommend it.
When you say "OEM" do you mean the BMW one in the Parts and Accessories catalog? or something else, since I thought of getting that one.

Though I might look like a douch since I'd have a BMW and then put a big sign in the window that says BMW in big print.