BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

03-18-2014, 06:34 AM   #23
335dM
Major
Rep
Drives: 335d m package

Already a check engine in the Audi TTs
Lol
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 08:40 AM   #24
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX1er
Tesla and MBZ S-Class are way out in front of this!

So I can't hold a phone in car, but mount an iPad in the dash and it's all good. I love the pedestrian detection system. So a buzzer goes off if you are about to plow into a farmers market while you are updating your status. Right hand, meet left hand.
+1. This is pulled off way better in the s class and tesla. Only interesting thing here with the Audi is the lower price point. An integrated android tablet seems worthless to me - ur phone can basically transmit the same data to ur car regarding map searches etc...

I don't think behind the steering wheel is the best place for all this data, HUD may fix some of that. But I like having a center console location for this data. Full digital integration of the dash and console is the future however. Looks so good on the new S class.
      03-18-2014, 08:43 AM   #25
Ash83
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i & RS5 (SOLD)/ 18 CTS-V

Audi will always be ahead of the pack in terms of Technology and cabin entertainment.

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 11:14 AM   #26
ItsHectic
But your honour it's my Affluenza I swear!
Australia
Rep
Drives: at a reasonable speed

Remember every1 copied BMWs knob control for the interface.
      03-18-2014, 05:48 PM   #27
TeutonicFlight
Keepin It Real
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahn360Photo
very cool!
2thumbs way up

Never Mistake Activity for Achievement
Parking lots
C Mod
84'
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 11:48 PM   #28
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
I'm not sure it will take that long. LCD panels have become so inexpensive, I wonder if they're not coming to a Honda Civic near you. The software development costs are a significant factor though. However, that is changing as well.

In the past, systems like iDrive were built on top of a special class of operating system called RTOS (real-time operating systems). I believe iDrive is built on VxWorks, which is the same OS that powers a lot of network routers and other embedded devices. An RTOS is a niche technology, which means there aren't a large pool of really talented developers to write software for it. Compare this with something like Google's Android platform and Apple's iOS platform, which are a lot more like a desktop computer OS running on a handheld device, and you can see the differences in the software that gets developed for each pretty easily. It's all about the population of developers who are capable of writing software for the platform. The larger the population, the greater the likelihood that talented developers exist and can be hired to do the job.

The rapid growth of the smartphone market has fueled a mind-bogglingly rapid advancement in low power, system-on-a-chip hardware, as well as huge advances in the quality of the software that runs on them. To borrow a phrase from the tea party (only in this case, it's true), a rising tide floats all ships. Inexpensive processors like the nVidia Tegra/Qualcomm Snapdragon, and next generation software platforms like Blackberry QNX, are going to change the way automobile software is developed. Automobile manufacturers will leverage the commoditization of the hardware and software to push these systems in to lower-line automobiles in an effort to draw in millennial buyers, who have shown reluctance to purchase new cars.
QNX is a real time OS, just like VxWorks. There's plenty of developers out there, developing for these and other real time OS in a magnitude of embedded systems. From spacecrafts, to avionics to weapon systems. There's not much NG about QNX. Its underpinnings go as far back as the 80s.

Next gen iDrive will be based around Genivi.
Appreciate 0