BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

04-05-2011, 11:24 AM   #243
03BeastCharmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrigavitch View Post
I had a great time last night. I think I screwed up the start time and didn't show up until 9:05 so I missed a few races it sounds like. It seemed like it was over so fast.

I had planned to try out the car a bit before last night, but with 3 kids my plans often don't come off as I'd like. First lap of every race I seemed to have a strong compulsion to play in the sandbox. Once I learned to stay away from my childish sandbox fetish, I think I held my own pretty well.

I definitely want to do this again.
THe 1st corner sandbox urge afflicted a lot of us That or red mist of missing brake points and following cars off track.

If you're looking for the id's that should be on your PS3 under something like recently played with right below your "friends" list. Unless you were playing a bunch of on-line games last night we'd be the only people to appear as playing GT5 last night.

I'm afraid I'd be screaming at Jay, Matt & StrawberryShortCake all evening if I had a mic

I caught Matt online on Saturday night practicing. More reason to ban him

Current: '13 E92 M3 Euro Delivery
Gone: E86 M Coupe; E30 M3, E39 M5, E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 11:39 AM   #244
gobrigavitch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 JZB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03BeastCharmer View Post
THe 1st corner sandbox urge afflicted a lot of us That or red mist of missing brake points and following cars off track.

If you're looking for the id's that should be on your PS3 under something like recently played with right below your "friends" list. Unless you were playing a bunch of on-line games last night we'd be the only people to appear as playing GT5 last night.

I'm afraid I'd be screaming at Jay, Matt & StrawberryShortCake all evening if I had a mic

I caught Matt online on Saturday night practicing. More reason to ban him

I don't have a wireless keyboard so I really can't communicate except little blurbs. Like you say though it could get heated LOL. I think it would be great if we could all talk to each other though. Could be some good banter and ribbing.

I'll have a look at the people on GT5 last night next time I'm on the PS3. I don't know how the recently played list works. Can I join rooms that those people are hosting even if they aren't on my friends list? I was under the impression that someone had to be on your friends list to enter their lobby. If so then I think I'll shoot everyone on the list a friend request in the next few days.

Next time I'll need to put away my sand toys before starting GT5. One trip to the sandbox and your out of the race. I really need to learn to drive at 95%. I always want to drive right on the edge and any little error and I spin or go off.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 11:42 AM   #245
gobrigavitch
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y View Post
Good group last night! Thanks for all that turned out... a new record of nine!

That was fun! The first chicane at Monza was hilarious in the practice lap - there were 4 cars stacked in the barriers...I was laughing so hard I forgot to turn and joined the pile too!
That first chicane in practice was too funny. This was my first time joining you guys and I thought it was some kind of custom for everybody to pile into those barriers. Little did I know that I'd be right back there again on the first lap. For a second I thought we were playing bumper cars at that chicane.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 11:42 AM   #246
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrigavitch View Post
I have a couple of small suggestions. (I know I'm the new guy, but I promise to play nice).

I wonder if we could update the first post with all of the PSN ID's of those that attend. That way we could all add each other to our friends list and then we'd see when each other are on and perhaps pick up some impromptu races in between Mondays.

Also I'm wondering if we could add mics in the future. I had been in a room once before where everyone else was using mics and it seemed to really add to the atmosphere. I didn't have one at the time, but that experience led me to go buy one for myself. I hadn't had a chance to set it up and got it setup just before the race last night (That's why I didn't show up until 9:05 instead of 9:00). It only cost me 20$ at Future Shop and took only 5 mins to setup. I think it would really add to the room if we could all talk to one another during the racing. I'd volunteer to answer any questions on setup issues if that becomes a sticky point for others.

Sorry if this comes off as pushy, because that is not my intent at all. I just thought I'd mention a couple of things which may make it easier for everybody.

When you have supplied everyone with "noobie rims", you can make these demands.
I am pretty sure Matt and you could work out some kind of group buy thing????

One request, if I am slightly behind you, would you mind moving to the right a little so I can see my braking marks? Thanks awfully!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 11:44 AM   #247
gobrigavitch
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
When you have supplied everyone with "noobie rims", you can make these demands.
I am pretty sure Matt and you could work out some kind of group buy thing????

One request, if I am slightly behind you, would you mind moving to the right a little so I can see my braking marks? Thanks awfully!

I'll get those rims on UPS straight away. Although I hear they've been losing a lot of parcels lately
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 12:33 PM   #248
ADV.1 Matt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: N/A

My thoughts/disclaimers/useless excuses for last night are as follows:

1: I should never be allowed to tweak suspension settings. I created the best drift car ever and I hope you all appreciated the massive drift I put on for you guys at turn 1 in Tsukuba.
2: Strawberry is FRIGGIN quick. I thought I had him at Monaco and he got past me and I couldn't close him enough to get back ahead. Hes a GREAT driver. I want to race him stock for stock next week!
3: I don't want to talk about the Top Gear Test Track... I had over 1:30 of penalties by the end of the race... lol.
4: I want a Chameleon M3 w/red wheels now.
5: Never tweak suspension settings at Monaco... it doesn't translate well into hardly any other track.
6: Big_Brewsky is the funnest driver to race with and watch drive... you never quite know what's going to happen but that's what makes it fun!
7: I had a deep case of red mist poisoning causing me to spend 90% of my time in sand traps... I will try and find my inner calm for next week. Apparently if i'm not in the lead I fall to pieces and go ape shit in my braking zones.
8: IT WAS SOOOO MUCH FUN! Thanks for everyone showing up last night - had a great time!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 01:52 PM   #249
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I did have the prettiest car. I also have no idea what is going to happen next.

I expected more orange GTS cars to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 01:54 PM   #250
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

It was a fun night. I really need to get back to playing. Setting up the car and a few practice laps before the race night ended up not being a good strategy! Had some pretty good wipeouts though!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 11:30 AM   #251
r53s65e90
United_States
Rep
Drives: r53 s65e90

Quote:
I did have the prettiest car.
Indeed. Attached.

Quote:
I also have no idea what is going to happen next.
How about this: You design a track (or somebody else does an you pick one), give it to people over the weekend for practice and then run a 5 min qualifying session and a 5-10 lap race depending on track size. It is almost like the bmwcca autocross here where you get a track map to mentally go through before the actual autox. Or we could just announce more prizes for people to get when the beat the better drivers... (prices have been sent btw. check your delivery trucks).

Also this was the largest showing evah. Proof attached.

The image with the red cars converging is a picture of the top gear test track before nuclear fusion. Unfortunately the collision does not look good as my car is converted into a ghost (beast, sorry for the inconvenience).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 12:26 PM   #252
gobrigavitch
Private First Class
Rep

Looking forward to this upcoming Monday night. I really enjoyed the last one. I'll leave my sand toys at home this time.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #253
03BeastCharmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

It's all good!! I wasn't going to improve my position in the race. Looks like you already had some front end damage there. Fun having a big group playing, except for the traffic jam at the 1st corner.

You know what we could do..... Make the winner of each race add like 25lbs (GT5 uses Kilos so would have to convert) of ballast to their car before the next event, up to a maximum of twice in an evening.

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 02:10 PM   #254
ADV.1 Matt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

^^^ OOO that could be interesting! Is there any way to regulate that in the setting in MP or would it be on good faith?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 10:06 PM   #255
JS11
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

haha thanks for the mini, whoever sent it to me! im jws111 in the game btw
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 10:21 PM   #256
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3/spece30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03BeastCharmer View Post
SO who has the pictures Jeeves gave me a nice punt on the Top Gear track as we crossed over on the last lap. I'll use that as my excuse for not winning
rubbing is racing!!!

i actually don't remember punting anyone off at the cross over. i was booted from the race at some point last lap, so maybe it was my ghost car seeking to avenge my disappearance.

matt, were you actually racing last night? i didn't see your car moving at all during the races. i remember almost running into your car every lap while it was just parked at the starting grid on monza.

all in all i was pretty happy with myself yesterday. my car was less than fully prepped so a 2nd place and a few 4th and 5th finishes seemed good to me.
      04-06-2011, 10:41 PM   #257
JS11
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

haha i had no freakin idea where i was supposed to go on the top gear test track after everybody knocked the cones down
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 11:08 PM   #258
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Designer Track Posted

I have messed around with the course editor and created a modern masterpiece... The Brewmeister! It should be available to my friends (sorry, Matt, you might not be able to see it!) in GT5. Can someone test it and give some feedback? If it is okay, folks can practice at the weekend and we can run it on Monday.

The editor is a bit restrictive. I was going to generate NJMP, but there is not that much freedom!

Feel free to post up tracks you have designed and we can rotate around.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 11:06 AM   #259
r53s65e90
United_States
Rep
Drives: r53 s65e90

Quote:
I have messed around with the course editor and created a modern masterpiece... The Brewmeister! It should be available to my friends (sorry, Matt, you might not be able to see it!) in GT5. Can someone test it and give some feedback? If it is okay, folks can practice at the weekend and we can run it on Monday.

The editor is a bit restrictive. I was going to generate NJMP, but there is not that much freedom!

Brewmeister is a great track. 29 turns is 2.6 * laguna seca but that is ok. What is more important, I could download the track and set it in my lounge for a race. So you can download a track from any of the participants and use it in a race. This way new people just need to friend you.

The editor is crap but adequate for our purposes.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 11:55 AM   #260
gobrigavitch
Private First Class
Rep

Hello

I looked at the "recently met" list for the PSN and tried to send everyone that raced Monday a friend request. If you raced on Monday, but didn't receive one could you send me one. Even if you didn't race on Monday, but do race some Mondays I'd appreciate one. My PSN is GTP_FastM3. I'm trying to get all the M3Post group on my friends list so that we might be able to do impromptu races from time to time.

I have never used someone elses track before. I assume I find it in the community under that users name. Will I be able to find it easy? Any pointers on where to look for it?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 12:23 PM   #261
ADV.1 Matt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by askjeeves View Post
matt, were you actually racing last night? i didn't see your car moving at all during the races. i remember almost running into your car every lap while it was just parked at the starting grid on monza.
Me? I was racing on monday... weird that I was stationary (unless you're talking to someone else?)
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 08:51 PM   #262
03BeastCharmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Demonic course. 29 corners climbing semi blind corners. Man that is going to be hard. After 6 laps my best is 2:04.007 using my mod car from last Monday.

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 02:08 AM   #263
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3/spece30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV.1 Matt View Post
Me? I was racing on monday... weird that I was stationary (unless you're talking to someone else?)
yea, you are legitlifestyle right? weird, each race it was just showing your car as being stationary. i was wondering why you weren't at the front of the pack each race!
      04-11-2011, 05:43 AM   #264
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Running Tonight!!!! 10.30 EST

I think we will go with the tuners again! Everyone okay with this?

Speak now, or forever hold your peace! Well until next week at least!

I want to see if we can run on this week's guest track "Brewmeister" in the lounge, but I don't know if one can run that out of the a lounge despite being online.
Appreciate 0