BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

04-22-2008, 03:20 PM   #1
Kid A
Rep
Drives: No order yet

Big Dilemma

So I have a m3 "ordered" ( no production number yet) for mid july delivery, its been pushed back because of the rim delay. i just found out though that I can get a loaded 08 Cayman msrp 70K for 59k. It has some option that i dont need like sports chrono...and some others but this deal is really good. I know the M3 is superior beast in this battle but I save about 6k from the M3 which translate to a lower 3 year lease payment and I've driven the porsche and its pretty slick on curvy roads...help out guys, I'm it is a biased crowd but I'd like some objective thoughts..thanks...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 03:23 PM   #2
zieglerc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

I understand the Cayman is a terrific car (I misread it as Cayenne at first... whew!) but personally, I could never imagine buying a Pcar that wasn't ordered to my specifications. Too many options and color combinations.

Ultimately, let's be honest, I don't think you can go wrong either way.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 03:24 PM   #3
j|rz44
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i|E92

Garage List
07 335i  [0.00]
is this your daily driver?
if its money you want to save, then i would get the 335i and mod. it!

GL

Mine will be going up for sale soon BTW
      04-22-2008, 03:45 PM   #4
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT

Which do you like better? If you're going to spend this much on a car you might as well get it custom built right?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 03:49 PM   #5
Kid A
Rep
Drives: No order yet

Honestly, the lease rates on the BMW are rough. I'm looking at saving $400 a month going with the porsche. You guys are right about the customization..lots of stuff I dont need on the Cayman that are on this model im looking at. Right now i'm leaning on the cayman just cause I'm going to lease it for 3 years and I know the M3 will be there..maybe better in a few years..ahh its tough.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 03:59 PM   #6
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
Honestly, the lease rates on the BMW are rough. I'm looking at saving $400 a month going with the porsche. You guys are right about the customization..lots of stuff I dont need on the Cayman that are on this model im looking at. Right now i'm leaning on the cayman just cause I'm going to lease it for 3 years and I know the M3 will be there..maybe better in a few years..ahh its tough.
Tough call. The M3 is a much more practical car for a daily driver. Also, no free maiintenance on the Porsche, which will add up over a few years. Cayman is the best looking and driving Porsche, IMO. Better fuel economy, too.

Hmm....

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 04:25 PM   #7
Pancho
Commander
Mexico
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i

The Cayman's back end is ugly. If you plan to buy a Porsche buy the iconic 911, which is the only "real" Porsche car in my opinion. Otherwise go for the M3.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 05:07 PM   #8
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

cant wrong with either car....if u can get a sweet deal on the cayman, go for it...besides, on a lease, you'll be returning the car in a few yrs...its not the end of the world

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 05:38 PM   #9
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

If you need the practicality and utility get the M3. If you already have another vehicle for that or are single, get the Cayman. M3 is more comfy, practical and a bit faster, but the Cayman gives you better feel of the road.

BTW, sport chrono is not just the stopwatch thingy bulging out in the middle of the dash. I believe it is like the MDrive with the tech package: it gives you more options to configure the car. It's beneficial, but whether it's worth the extra cost only you can answer that. However, you're getting a pretty good deal. Of course, you usually can get good deals on Pcars already on a dealers lot.
      04-22-2008, 06:06 PM   #10
Davinhci
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Get the Cayman and get the M3 later then, since you don't have a production date yet. It sux thinking all the delay is from the 19" wheels, or change your order to the 18's. They are pretty good looking IMO.

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 06:11 PM   #11
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3 Coupe  [8.14]
Cool Kid A get the Cayman

Quote:
So I have a m3 "ordered" ( no production number yet) for mid july delivery, its been pushed back because of the rim delay. i just found out though that I can get a loaded 08 Cayman msrp 70K for 59k. It has some option that i dont need like sports chrono...and some others but this deal is really good. I know the M3 is superior beast in this battle but I save about 6k from the M3 which translate to a lower 3 year lease payment and I've driven the porsche and its pretty slick on curvy roads...help out guys, I'm it is a biased crowd but I'd like some objective thoughts..thanks...

If you have allot of free time months,and months and more months to waste waiting on a BMW M3 with delay, after delay, 19inch rims. M DCT, extended leather, M3 floor mats, along with the next thing you know a delay in paint, engines, or any other BMW come up with . Then by all means get the M3 custom made join the wait party
the gang is all here and we will support you and be here for you during your nice long wait

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger custom tuned,ARH Long Tube Headers,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, ARH X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 06:18 PM   #12
xxruffdmxx
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

Driven the cayman, can't imagine this car as a daily driver. M3 is a special car, you will never regret waiting for it. But at the end of the day, we are talking MONEY here. I'm not gonna comment or ask about your financial situation, but if money is not an issue, I say you wait.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 06:41 PM   #13
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Quote:
Maybe you can get the 18" and buy this wheels in your dealer (or buy others).

The question is what to do with the 18"
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 06:45 PM   #14
Davinhci
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drvai View Post
Maybe you can get the 18" and buy this wheels in your dealer (or buy others).

The question is what to do with the 18"
Those are badass wheels but they are 3 series wheels. I don't know if I would want to put that on the M3. Just my opinion, don't scream

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 06:46 PM   #15
PocketRocket
I smile because I dont know whats going on :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:

get the porsche
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 07:20 PM   #16
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
The Cayman's back end is ugly. If you plan to buy a Porsche buy the iconic 911, which is the only "real" Porsche car in my opinion. Otherwise go for the M3.
oh noo..... one of those "it's not a REAL Porsche unless it's a 911" guys

IMO don't buy a car you don't really want just cuz it's a good deal. You'll only end up spending more money shortly thereafter, buying the car you really wanted in the first place! If you can wait a few years, I'm sure there will be discounts on M3's.... just not now.
      04-22-2008, 07:27 PM   #17
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3 Coupe  [8.14]
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck View Post
oh noo..... one of those "it's not a REAL Porsche unless it's a 911" guys

IMO don't buy a car you don't really want just cuz it's a good deal. You'll only end up spending more money shortly thereafter, buying the car you really wanted in the first place! If you can wait a few years, I'm sure there will be discounts on M3's.... just not now.
aaaahhhh is that a few years for the M3 to be built or the discount???

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger custom tuned,ARH Long Tube Headers,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, ARH X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 08:02 PM   #18
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADY1 View Post
aaaahhhh is that a few years for the M3 to be built ???
Seems like it huh!!!
      04-22-2008, 09:19 PM   #19
///austin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW ///M3 Coupe

As a previous Porsche owner (brand new 2005 911 Carrera S "launch edition" loaded), get the M3. It has a V8. Enough said.

Also based on how much Pcars, especially Caymans, depreciate, I would not recommend buying a new one even at that price (if you pay outright for it or do a finance). You want to look for a low mileage Cayman S in the low 40s. They are out there. Or lease.

And I know none of us are budget conscious here but with Porsche you really do pay to play, as has been mentioned. That's part of it so it's nothing to complain about, but it can get expensive even under warranty, whereas with the bimmer maintenance is included. That's a BIG plus!

Not trying to freak you out but here's the list of stuff I remember having to have fixed on my 997:

- Airbag control unit - multiple times
- coolant tank - multiple times
- RMS - once (at that point, I decided not a good sign and unloaded the car)
- carpet peeling off the sides of the doors in the footwell area where you place your feet
- massive coolant leak after driving off from dealership on the day of delivery (service tech. joked that Hans must have had one too many beers that day when he put my car together on the assembly line)
- exhaust weld issue (don't remember what that was about)

It was a launch car, so maybe that's not fair. I've not really kept up with Porsche much since I traded it back in, so I'm not up-to-date on what issues owners might be having with '07 or '08 cars. My sister has an '06 Cayenne Turbo S model which seems to be pretty reliable, except for the TPS sensors which go off every few weeks. Now she's got nitrogen in her tires?!?!

I like pcars but for me I would want one as a third car, not as a daily driver. So until I get there, I've got my bimmer. Then, when I get there, I'll get a Turbo.

If you could buy a Pcar or a Bimmer for the exact same price, they really aren't. The cost of ownership for the Pcar will be much more expensive. If memory serves me correct, under warranty, I still got charged $1,000+every time I took the car in, especially for the major services. If you're cool with that, then that's good. Just want to make sure you're aware of that.

Just some food for thought...

Also ask your dealer if they have a loaner program. Mine used to loan out new Boxsters, Caymans and Cayennes. Now they don't. Now you get a VW, if they have one (from the dealer across the street), or you get to rent a car. I like being able to get a semi-new loaner from the same family of car I drive. When I was kid, my mom had a brand-new E-class convertible, and I remember when she used to take it in for service and the Benz dealer (one of the largest in Texas) would give her a Ford Taurus station wagon to drive (back when they looked like bubbly space ships). So, to me, what kind of loaner you get is important. My local dealer has X5s, 5 series, and 3 series in their loaner pool. I think that's important. It's definitely a plus!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 09:37 PM   #20
oneginee
Banned
Rep
Drives: GT3 RS

obviously some very good advice above.

Don't compromise go with what you envisioned first. Might sound weird but you will better enjoy a car that you paid at price and that you personalized than one that you bought because it was a good deal.

Personally I would have no interest in a Porsche. Unless it is the 911 Turbo or GT2 and even then I would feel that if I consider it I might as well go the whole way and get a Ferrari. Porsche IMO is the entry level cars of supercars/exotics while BMW is the top of sports car. Better be at the top in one category than the bottom of the top league.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 09:43 PM   #21
valeram
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 TTS, 991.2 GT3 T, F80 M3 C

Daily car = M3
Maintenance cost: M3 cheaper
Practicality = M3
Wow factor = Porsche

I traded by 06 Boxster S for a 335 and now I am trading in my 335 for an M3.
If it is a 911 then that is a different story. A month after I traded in my P car, I was thinking that I made a huge mistake. But it change when I factored everything I pointed out earlier. Your call and good luck. There is no wrong decision here. It is just a matter of opinion.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 10:04 PM   #22
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe with DCT

don't you have a deposit on the M3 you ordered? Can you just cancel the order and get your deposit back?

For me, having lived with a 2-seat car nearly 6 years, I am looking forward to a 2+2 car. That's why I didn't look at Corvette, Cayman/Boxster etc.

the M3 V8 engine is very nice and powerful even if the M3 is heavy it's still getting 0-100 mph around 10 seconds.

I believe many people here can afford a M5/M6 at least used and 911S (etc.) as well but the M3 is a great all around car, not as big/heavy as the M5 but still got good strong engine and good room in back, something you won't find with a 911.

Worst feature of the M3 is the gas mileage but if you can live with that, should be just as nice as the Cayman (different) but probably better in some areas (like comfort and utility).

Some people need rear seats so if they get a Cayman they'd need a practical car on the side the M3 is more useful in that it has nice rear seats and it's definatly more gutsy than the Cayman S which (IMO) hard to swallow <300 hp for $60K these days.
Appreciate 0