BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

EXXEL Distributions

11-15-2011, 01:22 AM   #1
Mprofiler
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: audi

2013 Shelby GT500

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ustang_lineup/
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 01:39 AM   #2
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

I would've taken the "older" GT500 over the ZL1 with some consideration. Now it's a no-brainer.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 01:43 AM   #3
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
I would've taken the "older" GT500 over the ZL1 with some consideration. Now it's a no-brainer.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 01:44 AM   #4
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Hmmm. Adding one next to the C63 would be nice in a year or two.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 06:54 AM   #5
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Seems Ford and the GTR are making big HP changes every year. How much higher will they go for a prodution model? Ford is running away with the HP per dollar value too.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 08:31 AM   #6
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

I really want one. They changed so much. Crazy how they can avoid a gas-guzzler tax on this car.
      11-15-2011, 09:23 AM   #7
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Wow, not only the engine changes but also all the other functional improvements exceeded my expectations on what this would be before the next generation arrives.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 12:15 PM   #8
krnboy817
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i coupe

650hp... 600tq used to be super car specs.

driving is poetry in motion.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #9
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

I have to say I love the outside looks and performance specs, But PLEASE UPGRADE THE DAMN INTERIOR.

Every damn year shitty interior after shitty interior. DESIGN something. Curves, angles, feel, flow. The 1st American car to start some interior design is the CTS. Spend a few extra bucks. The wheel looks like crap too. No thumb rests, no curves. I know the design is future retro, but don't you want to fit like a glove, especially with that performance.

I do like the seats. Hopefully they are not too wide.

Last edited by miiipilot; 11-15-2011 at 01:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 01:19 PM   #10
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

i test drove the old one... although its hella fast and exterior is pretty i just cant stand the plastic pieces that moves around and rattles...

the door panel is had a big gap and OMG that thing moves around... (flimsy design) and they wonder why they cant sell FORD, CHEVY or any AMERICAN CARS...
      11-15-2011, 01:39 PM   #11
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy817 View Post
650hp... 600tq used to be super car specs.
Hell, 400hp used to be super car specs. The Ferrari 355 had "only" 380hp. This things got more horsepower than the McLaren F1.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 10:06 PM   #12
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

I don't get the demands for a nicer interior, but to each his own....

What gets me is: how is this car going to put down 650 HP when it was so severely traction-limited in performance with "just" 550?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 10:31 PM   #13
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
For me...I buy on both exterior and interior design. Performance is a given...we are enthusiasts.

Now, If I could afford a track only, weekend only, nice weather car...I'd could live with just the performance. Look a dedicated track cars...No interior or sparse interior...I get that.

But a DD? I love driving. I'll take the long road home if I've had a bad day to unwind and escape. With that said, we don't drive in the 3rd person. I'm the pilot. I want to feel connected. I want to feel confident. It's visceral.

Not digging on your opinion at all, I wanted to just clarify why it matters to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 10:50 PM   #14
whyrms
Private
Rep
Drives: foot mobile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post

What gets me is: how is this car going to put down 650 HP when it was so severely traction-limited in performance with "just" 550?
"The previous GT500's performance numbers were often traction-limited, resulting in a 0-60 time not much better than the Mustang GT. To deal with this problem, SVT engineers revised the six-speed manual transmission's gearing in an effort to make the GT500's power more usable. SVT ditched the 3.55 final drive ratio for a 3.31 final drive, and then optimized every gear (except fourth) to better use the newfound torque. SVT further beefed up the drivetrain with a dual-disc clutch and carbon-fiber drive shaft."

I think, that, with the new F1-tires will help it put down that power. Hopefully...Otherwise just starts all the race at 40mph.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 09:19 AM   #15
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 335 xdrive

What kind of tires will come on this car that are rated for 200mph?

This thing will be a tire eating machine. Will probably cost about $0.40/mile driven for tires.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 09:45 AM   #16
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miiipilot View Post
For me...I buy on both exterior and interior design. Performance is a given...we are enthusiasts.

Now, If I could afford a track only, weekend only, nice weather car...I'd could live with just the performance. Look a dedicated track cars...No interior or sparse interior...I get that.

But a DD? I love driving. I'll take the long road home if I've had a bad day to unwind and escape. With that said, we don't drive in the 3rd person. I'm the pilot. I want to feel connected. I want to feel confident. It's visceral.

Not digging on your opinion at all, I wanted to just clarify why it matters to me.
Oh I know you're not digging at my opinion at all. The reason why I don't get it is because for a muscle car, to include current muscle cars, it's actually quite good. Another thing is that if you want them to upgrade the interior, that costs money. The great thing about the Mustang is that its performance per dollar is pretty damn high across the range. It costs a lot of money to develop a refined interior with high-grade materials. It would be tragic if the cost of the Stang jumped because of a shifted focus to refinement. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the interior could be absolute shit and be OK; I'm just saying it's pretty good where it's at. Hell, on my old goat the simple and very cheap interior bits were part of the whole muscle car experience, just another hint at the fact that the car was only meant to do one thing really; sound and go like stink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyrms View Post
"The previous GT500's performance numbers were often traction-limited, resulting in a 0-60 time not much better than the Mustang GT. To deal with this problem, SVT engineers revised the six-speed manual transmission's gearing in an effort to make the GT500's power more usable. SVT ditched the 3.55 final drive ratio for a 3.31 final drive, and then optimized every gear (except fourth) to better use the newfound torque. SVT further beefed up the drivetrain with a dual-disc clutch and carbon-fiber drive shaft."

I think, that, with the new F1-tires will help it put down that power. Hopefully...Otherwise just starts all the race at 40mph.
Those sound like steps that might have cured the problems from 550 HP. I don't know how they're going to get up to 650 HP with an even more insane torque curve.... Even the fixes above seem a bit conservative but who knows. Maybe they found the magic setup.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 01:41 PM   #17
See5
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
the door panel is had a big gap and OMG that thing moves around... (flimsy design) and they wonder why they cant sell FORD, CHEVY or any AMERICAN CARS...
But they can and have been selling very well over the past few years. Don't know what you've been looking at.

It's obvious many of you aren't in the target market for this or any Mustang. I happen to think the interior is actually pretty good in the newer Mustangs. As for the driving experience being "visceral", put the pedal down and I guarantee you're going to feel something.

Anyways, this car should be faster than anything BMW has ever made which is saying a lot. Will most likely be quicker than the Ford GT for 1/3 the price as well. Crazy.

Last edited by See5; 11-16-2011 at 01:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 02:50 PM   #18
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by See5 View Post
But they can and have been selling very well over the past few years. Don't know what you've been looking at.

It's obvious many of you aren't in the target market for this or any Mustang. I happen to think the interior is actually pretty good in the newer Mustangs. As for the driving experience being "visceral", put the pedal down and I guarantee you're going to feel something.

Anyways, this car should be faster than anything BMW has ever made which is saying a lot. Will most likely be quicker than the Ford GT for 1/3 the price as well. Crazy.

LOL dude im not sure WHAT YOUR LOOKING AT... FORD? all FORDS looks so damn cheap... (INTERIOR WISE) PLASTIC ALL OVER.. EVEN THE BOSS, LAGUNA SECA AND THE COBRA...

dude dont get me wrong i love the MUSTANGS always wanted one but i just cant see myself in one with that interior... not saying interior LOOKS SUCKS its just the pieces they put its FREAKIN PLACTIC I MEAN SERIOUSLY gaps are all over... door panels are seems like its falling off... i moved some interior panels and DAMN it moves that it seems like there is an inch of gap and so hollow. WTF... try that on the BMW... i understand the price difference but see why ford is just not selling?

BRO no one will argue with you on how faster is mustang compare to BMW M's well current M's that is... thats what AMERICAN CARS IS MADE OF... fast a lot of HP and a lot of TORQUE... THATS it... BUT ever since they have not made it any better it seems like FORD WILL BE FORD... also 1/3? of the price... the last time i check ... cobra was selling around 60+ the laguna was 50+ ... so if you compare this to the current M3 i dont see much of the difference...

Im going to tell you a story....

I was standing by the ford mustang couple years ago at LA AUTO SHOW... i was with my friend and I said... (joking) I would never drive a FIX OR REPAIR DAILY CAR... or FOUND ON THE ROAD DEAD... People around me was cracking up they know i was joking around... THEN... one guy came up and said "what can i do to convince you to buy one" (i was like WHO IS THIS GUY...in my head) then i started telling him all the flaws... then he gave me hes business card.... until now shit is still the same... apparently he was the VP of something.. but i never did....
      11-16-2011, 03:27 PM   #19
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
... i understand the price difference but see why ford is just not selling?

BRO no one will argue with you on how faster is mustang compare to BMW M's well current M's that is... thats what AMERICAN CARS IS MADE OF... fast a lot of HP and a lot of TORQUE... THATS it... BUT ever since they have not made it any better it seems like FORD WILL BE FORD... also 1/3? of the price... the last time i check ... cobra was selling around 60+ the laguna was 50+ ... so if you compare this to the current M3 i dont see much of the difference...
Fords aren't selling? Really?

Also, you should read the post you quoted a little more carefully. He was saying that the '13 GT500 could very well put up Ford GT-type numbers for a third of the price. He wasn't talking about the M3 there.

...and as for your story, I'm not sure what it has to do with anything at all.

Sentences are you friend.

Last edited by ragingclue; 11-16-2011 at 04:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 03:55 PM   #20
See5
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothing

I can't even decipher that story.

All I saw was some crying about plastic pieces. Once again, the Mustang's interior is fine. You're not paying for leather on the dash and high quality plastics. You're paying for a car with a supercharged 650hp/600tq 5.8L DOHC 32 valve V8 that does 200+mph for ~$55K. If you can't see that, I don't know what else to tell you.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 03:58 PM   #21
CAPSGOD
Major
Rep
Drives: Diesel Son

Quote:

I was standing by the ford mustang couple years ago at LA AUTO SHOW... i was with my friend and I said... (joking) I would never drive a FIX OR REPAIR DAILY CAR... or FOUND ON THE ROAD DEAD... People around me was cracking up they know i was joking around... THEN... one guy came up and said "what can i do to convince you to buy one" (i was like WHO IS THIS GUY...in my head) then i started telling him all the flaws... then he gave me hes business card.... until now shit is still the same... apparently he was the VP of something.. but i never did....
Cool story bro
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 04:00 PM   #22
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
LOL dude im not sure WHAT YOUR LOOKING AT... FORD? all FORDS looks so damn cheap... (INTERIOR WISE) PLASTIC ALL OVER.. EVEN THE BOSS, LAGUNA SECA AND THE COBRA...

dude dont get me wrong i love the MUSTANGS always wanted one but i just cant see myself in one with that interior... not saying interior LOOKS SUCKS its just the pieces they put its FREAKIN PLACTIC I MEAN SERIOUSLY gaps are all over... door panels are seems like its falling off... i moved some interior panels and DAMN it moves that it seems like there is an inch of gap and so hollow. WTF... try that on the BMW... i understand the price difference but see why ford is just not selling?

You sound like a class 5 [insert noun of preference according to reader].

The ignorance is strong in this post.

Last edited by Year's_End; 11-16-2011 at 05:41 PM..
Appreciate 0