BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Closed Thread

03-03-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

Envy Chargepipe

EDIT: Delayed. (Stated reason below)

Just wanted people to know that I got my Envy chargepipe in the mail just now. Thanks to 05SCM3 for a painless transaction. It's hard to resist the urge to pop this on right now....but I'm HOPING to go to VF-Engineering tomorrow to dyno the thing, if my schedule permits.

If I remember correctly, Technocraft's claims were of 14 horsepower with the inclusion of a BMC air filter. I have had a BMC air filter for a while, and while I haven't had the opportunity to dyno-test the filter alone, my undependable, completely un-scientific, debate-worthless butt-dyno has told me that the filter was worth something.

I'm simply looking to test for one thing at this moment. BMC air filter aside, how much gains can one expect from just the chargepipe? I plan to dyno once (3 pulls) with my current set-up (BMC Air filter) install the chargepipe, and then dyno once more.

To be honest, I'm somewhat skeptical about the power gain claims. But this isn't meant to bash Technocraft in any way: I'm just skeptical about any claims from any company. I will admit though, it's very light, and it looks gorgeous.

Hopefully I'm free tomorrow , and we can find out just what this is worth.

Oh, and if I'm wasting my time and someone has already done this, let me know now so I don't do it. I haven't been on the forum as much lately, so I probably missed it if it's been done already.

Also, here's some crappy iPhone pictures for the picture people.

Last edited by LateBraking; 03-03-2010 at 08:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 05:10 PM   #2
xchosun1x
Track Duty
United_States
Rep
Drives: Track build 08 E92 M3 DCT

i'm staying tuned for this one!

thanks for taking the initiative on this...i would love to see a unbiased dyno test on this charge pipe...

also, please inform us of dyno type, ambient temp, elevation etc...just so all the factors are accounted for
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 05:12 PM   #3
riyatch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

interested in seeing the results.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 05:19 PM   #4
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xchosun1x View Post

thanks for taking the initiative on this...i would love to see a unbiased dyno test on this charge pipe...

also, please inform us of dyno type, ambient temp, elevation etc...just so all the factors are accounted for
I've never dyno'd before, just had an opportunity pop up between me and a couple other BMW enthusiasts for tomorrow, so if anyone else has any other hints like this, I'm all ears. I believe that VF-Engineering uses a Dynojet though.

Edit: Looks like this whole dyno thing is already a maybe. Too many cars that want to dyno, and too little time.

Last edited by LateBraking; 03-03-2010 at 05:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 05:59 PM   #5
xchosun1x
Track Duty
United_States
Rep
Drives: Track build 08 E92 M3 DCT

well...try your best =)

i'm sure there are many people that want to see if this product does what it claims....me included.

it would just be nice to see an uncompromised before and after dyno result....

** crossing my fingers for you!**
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 06:05 PM   #6
930Man
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

pretty nice looking

2009 AW M3
1995 E36 full race
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 06:51 PM   #7
05SCM33
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3

Enjoy it in good health and fast drives!

And if it makes more than Technocraft's advertised power, I want it back!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 07:13 PM   #8
OMID INC
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

nice! that was quick! man i am hoping i can make it out with you tomorrow get some pulls of my own in there.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 07:15 PM   #9
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Update: I will not be dyno testing this on Thursday.

I was holding the chargepipe up (admiring it), and noticed some white freckles along the inside of the chargepipe. Confused, I inspected it closer, and noticed light leaking through.

I know it's not 05SCM3's fault, I'm sure he didn't notice. On the contrary, I hope he didn't run this for too long, I know it was on his car until 2-3 days ago. I'd be worried that particles could have gotten into his engine during extended use. I don't even think 05SCM3 could have done this to the chargepipe, unless he intentionally prodded it with a needle a thousand or so times.

The problem is that the clearcoat on this is not very good and has leaks all over, but it's difficult to notice. Unless you're especially picky about clearcoat, I don't think you would even notice regularly. It's "especially bad" along the seam of the chargepipe, but the clearcoat holes are all over the entire body.

I dunno if these holes are big enough to let any significantly damaging particles through to the engine or not, but I just don't feel like taking any risks with my engine. I think I'll get this re-clearcoated first, and then tested properly another time. I'll still go to VF and lay down a baseline dyno, record temps and such, and see if I can get it tested under similar conditions another time.

I might dyno test stock versus BMC filter, maybe, if I get time to do 2 runs. (So far it's 10 cars.)

Last edited by LateBraking; 03-03-2010 at 07:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 07:21 PM   #10
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeJayKaying View Post

I was holding the chargepipe up (admiring it), and noticed some white freckles along the inside of the chargepipe. Confused, I inspected it closer, and noticed light leaking through.

I know it's not 05SCM3's fault, I'm sure he didn't notice. On the contrary, I hope he didn't run this for too long, I know it was on his car until 2-3 days ago. I'd be worried that particles could have gotten into his engine during extended use. I don't even think 05SCM3 could have done this to the chargepipe, unless he intentionally prodded it with a needle a thousand or so times.

The problem is that the clearcoat on this is not very good and has leaks all over, but it's difficult to notice. Unless you're especially picky about clearcoat, I don't think you would even notice regularly. It's "especially bad" along the seam of the chargepipe, but the clearcoat holes are all over the entire body.

I dunno if these holes are big enough to let any significantly damaging particles through to the engine or not, but I just don't feel like taking any risks with my engine. I think I'll get this re-clearcoated first, and then tested properly another time. I'll still go to VF and lay down a baseline dyno, record temps and such, and see if I can get it tested under similar conditions another time.

I might dyno test stock versus BMC filter, maybe, if I get time to do 2 runs. (So far it's 10 cars.)
Jeez! That's horrible. Sorry to hear that. It seems like there are a lot of problems with Technocraft's intake products:

the low-quality clearcoat causing leaks (this thread)
the clearance problem with the badge rubbing on the hood
the potential loss of power on Ed Lin's dyno
the lack of a flex section like the OEM piece or the Dinan piece to compensate for engine movement
random other fitment issues and the necessity of using tape to seal the intake

Last edited by smmmurf; 03-03-2010 at 07:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 07:24 PM   #11
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
Jeez! That's horrible. Sorry to hear that. Between the problem with the badge rubbing on the hood, the shoddy clearcoat, and the potential loss of power on Ed Lin's dyno, I don't see why anybody would buy Technocraft intake products.
Well, try to see the positive in everything. I'll end up paying the same amount of money as a brand-new Chargepipe in the end, but with 100% confidence that I won't have any leaks in the chargepipe. I'll have my own personal guarantee.

I'm just hoping that I don't lose power like Lin. He has the full system, including plenum, enlargened airbox, transition chamber, scoops, and chargepipe. Hopefully it's something other than the chargepipe that's causing the power loss.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 07:29 PM   #12
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Well, try to see the positive in everything. I'll end up paying the same amount of money as a brand-new Chargepipe in the end, but with 100% confidence that I won't have any leaks in the chargepipe. I'll have my own personal guarantee.
Well, I'm glad you are devising a way to fix it, but I don't think you should be making excuses for a company selling products for such a high price with basic quality issues that affect engine safety (not just aesthetics).
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 07:32 PM   #13
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
Well, I'm glad you are devising a way to fix it, but I don't think you should be making excuses for a company selling products for such a high price with basic quality issues that affect engine safety (not just aesthetics).
Far from it! I'm usually outspoken when concerning issues (you can see my Agency Power thread I started a while back) and I'm not defending the product, just publicly updating everyone regarding the situation. The best defense in favor of the Envy Chargepipe right now would have been for me to have just stayed silent. I'm hoping owners benefit from this, and maybe pop open their hoods, take a flash light and maybe a magnifying glass, and go over their chargepipes today. I just harbor no illusions about anyone helping me with the issue, since I did buy it secondhand, and of course, I assume the risk of doing so.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 07:34 PM   #14
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Far from it! I'm usually outspoken when concerning issues (you can see my Agency Power thread I started a while back) and I'm not defending the product, just publicly updating everyone regarding the situation. The best defense in favor of the Envy Chargepipe right now would have been for me to have just stayed silent. I'm hoping owners benefit from this, and maybe pop open their hoods, take a flash light and maybe a magnifying glass, and go over their chargepipes today. I just harbor no illusions about anyone helping me with the issue, since I did buy it secondhand, and of course, I assume the risk of doing so.
Fair enough. Thanks for letting us know. I just feel bad that you and other owners of these products are dealing with such fundamental quality issues with these products.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 07:38 PM   #15
rAdzM
Smashed!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
2006 BMW M5  [9.00]
Just give me that envy charge pipe and I'll dyno it tomorrow!

BBS | BREMBO | RECARO | ig: @euro_rad
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 08:02 PM   #16
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xchosun1x View Post

+1. It would be great to see some hard data on this.

BTW - VF is using an in-ground Dynojet 224LC.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 08:24 PM   #17
tmntmn
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3/M-DCT

Hey iBeJayKaying how about we play a round of COD MW2 for the chargepipe .

updated us if you get the dyno done tomorrow
MODS: MODECARBON V2 GTS FRONT LIP & REAR DIFFUSER, AA GREEN FILTER, RPI SCOOPS, PSW, Verstraβe Extended DCT Shifter, ZCP WHEELS (SEMI-GLOSS), OHLINS R&T, Megan Exhaust, AKRA XPIPE, BMW LED INTERIOR, BLACKOUT W/ORION V4 LED AE, OSRAM CBI
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 08:35 PM   #18
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntmn View Post
Hey iBeJayKaying how about we play a round of COD MW2 for the chargepipe .

updated us if you get the dyno done tomorrow
Pay me 500 bucks to play against you first, and you're on.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 08:46 PM   #19
05SCM33
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3

Quote:

Let me tell you, the first thousand or so holes were a real bitch too!

Seriously though, never saw any thing like what you describe. Then again, I never looked at the inside of the pipe as close as you obviously did. I did wipe the outside and the inside of the charge pipe before shipping it off. The outside, as would be expected, left the usual under hood residue on the towel. This inside left nothing on the other side of the towel, suggesting that nothing was making it through pores in the clear cloat that you describe.

But, like you, I would get another coat of clear on that thing for peace of mind. Indeed, you might just consider a DIY spray on clear coat to the inside of the pipe and save yourself the cost of a paint shop visit.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 08:47 PM   #20
E92M3Guy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black E92 M3

I would install the charge pipe first, around the manifold you will see gaps, that will be bigger gaps than the small pinholes you see in the charge pipe itself. With the gaps around the manifold, vendors have suggested to put in electrical tape, but that doesn't solve anything when you have tight and loose spots around the pipe itself, tape can only cover so much, its not like foam or anything where it will give you a nice seal. The seal you have on your OEM unit can not be reproduced with that unit, the only one that has replicated that seal is Dinan and that would be it.

I ain't trying to bash the product, but just informing people who have it and are skeptical or anal as I am when it comes out to dishes out mad money, but getting mediocre stuff.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 08:56 PM   #21
tmntmn
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3/M-DCT

Quote:
Pay me 500 bucks to play against you first, and you're on.
no deal hahaha
MODS: MODECARBON V2 GTS FRONT LIP & REAR DIFFUSER, AA GREEN FILTER, RPI SCOOPS, PSW, Verstraβe Extended DCT Shifter, ZCP WHEELS (SEMI-GLOSS), OHLINS R&T, Megan Exhaust, AKRA XPIPE, BMW LED INTERIOR, BLACKOUT W/ORION V4 LED AE, OSRAM CBI
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 09:02 PM   #22
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

What if I used this bad boy....?

http://www.rescuetape.com/

Appreciate 0
Closed Thread