BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

12-07-2009, 12:04 PM   #23
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

i def think so. i know someone posted it isn't but i feel it is shorter. the position is alot better too then oem. i used to move my seat around the shifter to get a good position, now i just put my seat where i want it and i get good shifts. RE moved the position of the shifter as well.

there was a video somewhere on here where it showed the oem and RE one so you could see the difference, i will try to find it

H

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
Thanks for your feedback. Is it noticeable shorter in throw?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 12:40 PM   #24
QTRM3
Second Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2008 6MT

I have the AA SSK for almost a year and highly recommend it.
For a first mod I would say start with something more cost effective, if you looking for HP X-pipe will be a good starting point.

Remus Race Exhaust, AA X-Pipe Castles, AA SSK, AA ECU Tune, Evo Sport Pulleys, AFE Filter & Air Scope, HRE P40 20, H&R Springs ...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 02:09 PM   #25
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Here are some comparison photos of stock vs Rogue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTRM3 View Post
I have the AA SSK for almost a year and highly recommend it.
The AA is an incomplete kit (compared to the RE SSK), you are being resold a stock M3 carrier assembly with a modified socket and replacement shifter handle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb
i def think so. i know someone posted it isn't but i feel it is shorter. the position is alot better too then oem. i used to move my seat around the shifter to get a good position, now i just put my seat where i want it and i get good shifts. RE moved the position of the shifter as well.

there was a video somewhere on here where it showed the oem and RE one so you could see the difference, i will try to find it
Here are the comparison videos/animations you are referring to:

Stock:

RE Shifter installed:

We've installed a LOT of the RE shifters, including in our own S/C M3 project. A full DIY can be found here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271196

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 03:35 PM   #26
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Here are the comparison videos/animations you are referring to:

Stock:

There's no comparison in that video, and to be honest the RE SSK has some play in it as well.
      12-07-2009, 03:38 PM   #27
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
There's no comparison in that video, and to be honest the RE SSK has some play in it as well.
Here's some pictures from our post back in March: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ight=eas+rogue

The Components

1. 6061-T6 ACQ Billet Carrier - Painstakingly CNC machined from a block of aluminum about the size of a brick, this carrier has incredible strength and rigidity over a stock component. It incorporates Rogue Engineering's Pivot Relocation Cup, to raise the pivot point of the shifter higher, allowing the shifter more drivetrain clearance. An important feature is that it realigns the selector rod so that it is near the factory position, preventing off-axis forces against the transmission's selector rod gear joint, preventing shifting notchiness. If you wonder why Rogue Engineering's shifters have always been the SMOOTHEST shifters on the market, this is one of many small details which allow many of our customers to recognize the ingenuity of RE OCTANE SSKs.

The carrier comes complete with custom Delrin carrier bushings, eliminating excessive carrier movement as a result of the factory rubber bushings.

Factory carrier, factory rubber bushings. Too much play

2. RE's OCTANE shifter lever may seem like the same lever we use in our other kits, but at a closer glance, you will see that it incorporates a double bend, to emulate the factory shifter lever. In essence, the top of the factory lever is moved backwards, approximately 1/2 from the axis of the lower part of the shifter. Other companies have made the mistake of only bending the top of another factory lever backwards, hoping to solve this ergonomic challenge. However, bending the top of the lever back only tips the shift knob towards the driver, and does not emulate the factory position accurately.

During development, RE noticed that the E9X M3 represents the first manual transmission vehicle that BMW has produced where the factory shifter lever is actually excessively lowered. Ergonomics is an important feature in any BMW, and if you were like many of us, we discovered that the shift knob in a stock E9X M3 was very low and very forward (where driver's with larger hands could punch the lower console in the forward gear changes). We deduced that BMW wanted to provide a "sporty" feeling shifter (which it is), but at the expense of driving comfort. With this in mind, we have tweaked the shifter so that it is more comfortable for the driver.

STOCK geometry has downward angle to shifter

RE modified shifter geometry improves position

Mainting their use of the Ertalyte TX pivot point, machined from solid Ertalyte TX rod, to exacting specifications. In developmental testing, our pivot has been shown to be 41% smoother than a stock pivot and an alarming 200% smoother than another aftermarket company's shifter. Small details such as these add up in the long run.

3. Rogue Engineering's Self-Adjusting Pivot Point (SAPP) is still used in our E9X M3 application, proving that our simple and effective method of lower pivot tension control maintains reliability, durability, and longevity. Just ask the 50% of the Grand Am Koni Challenge teams racing with Rogue Engineering shifters in their cars.

4. RE replaces the hollow, factory selector rod with a heavier, TIG welded, stainless steel replacement. This adds additional mass, over the press-tube construction of the factory part. This helps the shifts in the vehicle feel factory smooth, while allowing for the reduced throws.

5. RE uses factory replacement pivot cups and locking circlips to secure the shifter together.

Bundle these parts together, and you have a cohesive short shift kit that reduces throws, but also eliminates the factory shifter sloppiness that should have never been in your E9X M3 in the first place.

What RE has found over a decade of producing short shift kits for BMWs is that overbuilding the shifter components is absolutely worth it. See others use a multitude of microscopic hardware to hold shifter components together may work in the beginning, but will eventually fail when the product is no longer under warranty. Whereas the parts may not be expensive, the reinstallation or repair can at inconvenient times and even costly.

Hope this helps.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 03:39 PM   #28
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000 TT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
Autosolutions will be coming out with one or its out but i haven't seen any feedback on it yet
Where did you hear this? I would love an Autosolutions SSK. I will have to e-mail him.
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 07:52 PM   #29
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

T Lud posted it in one of the shifter threads about it being out or coming out soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Where did you hear this? I would love an Autosolutions SSK. I will have to e-mail him.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 07:53 PM   #30
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

no way. i have the RE unit and there is no play at all. it is tight as can be. makes my old UUC feel like a sloppy mess compared to this. the RE is tight and precise shifts

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 08:05 PM   #31
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
no way. i have the RE unit and there is no play at all. it is tight as can be. makes my old UUC feel like a sloppy mess compared to this. the RE is tight and precise shifts
well mine feels like it does... just a little bit
      12-07-2009, 08:15 PM   #32
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
i have the RE one in my car and love it. do some searches you can find some reviews of it. i wouldn't get the UUC one, i had one in the past and thought it was junk and alot of people on here have it and don't like it.
H Bomb, was your UUC in an E9x M3 or something else?

I've got the UUC SSK in my 2009 E92 M3 and find it excellent. I've now got about 5,000 miles on it, including several weekends of autocross. My business partner also has one on his 2008 E92 M3 and he loves his.

There's another thread with some reporting noise problems with the RE. I suspect that's an installation error, but no one ever was able to clarify the issue.

Dave
      12-07-2009, 08:26 PM   #33
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

you have the RE one?? how many miles on it about??

Quote:
well mine feels like it does... just a little bit
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 08:28 PM   #34
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

the UUC was in my M5 so yeah maybe is better in this car, but in the UUC thread alot of guys were complaining about the same stuff i felt with my M5 one so that is why i got the RE for this car

i don't have any noise problems with mine, so far it is been good to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
H Bomb, was your UUC in an E9x M3 or something else?

I've got the UUC SSK in my 2009 E92 M3 and find it excellent. I've now got about 5,000 miles on it, including several weekends of autocross. My business partner also has one on his 2008 E92 M3 and he loves his.

There's another thread with some reporting noise problems with the RE. I suspect that's an installation error, but no one ever was able to clarify the issue.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 06:12 AM   #35
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
you have the RE one?? how many miles on it about??
yep around 4k now.... There's always been a bit of play, nothing close to OEM, but there is some.
      12-08-2009, 09:20 AM   #36
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Quote:
the UUC was in my M5 so yeah maybe is better in this car, but in the UUC thread alot of guys were complaining about the same stuff i felt with my M5 one so that is why i got the RE for this car

i don't have any noise problems with mine, so far it is been good to me
Yes, but I remember in another thread that you said your M5 also had the DSSR in it, which we all agree that the DSSR is the cause for some slop and play, but the UUC SSK on its own is a great shifter.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 01:23 PM   #37
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

Talking agreed

haven't done the mod because i've heard similar things from friends and forums. heres the thing my buddy just got a Mini CooperS, which odiously isn't an M3.. this I know BUT the transmission was sooo smooth and was fun to drive for hours. w/t the M3 gearbox it's hard to pop into gear 1->2 gear especially. But overall its a hard gearbox to drive.
Sometimes It makes me want the DCT.

I could say that I've at least grinded my sycros trying to shift really fast from 1->2 and have gone no where fast. Now 1->2 shifts I nail b/c I shift smooth.. fast but not the point where thats going to happen again..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000gsr View Post
Not worth it in my opinion. Yes throws are shorter, but not any smoother, 1st to 2nd gear notch is still there. If I could turn things around I wouldn't have got it. I had a short shifter on my integra for around a 100 bucks and that was worth it. It was good because the honda transmission was waaaaaaay smoother than this m3 to begin with. For $600 bucks, definately not worth it.

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey

Last edited by saeedg48; 02-16-2010 at 12:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 01:38 PM   #38
Ca$hOnly
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

1-2 shift is definitely easier with the SSK. No more missing the shift and grinding. I think getting a SSK is worth it. Makes the shifts feel much more crisp and precise. Not much "slop" if any.

The only thing I don't like is the spinning/grinding noise at high rpm's that comes out of the shifter. Hopefully it'll get better with time.
      01-21-2010, 01:52 PM   #39
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca$hOnly View Post
The only thing I don't like is the spinning/grinding noise at high rpm's that comes out of the shifter. Hopefully it'll get better with time.
I doubt that it will because it's all-metal. That's a big part of the reason that the stock unit has plastic, to dampen the sound.

My UUC SSK makes the same noise 6,000-miles later as when I first had it installed.

Dave