BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

07-01-2013, 12:10 AM   #1
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Had a Laser Interceptor moment tonight

Since I've had it installed, it has only gone off once, and I wasn't able to locate the source. Given that, I wasn't sure whether it was working or not. Tonight I was on the way back from dinner w/my family, and we were cruising on I-35 between San Antonio and Austin, pretty much in the middle of nowhere, and it went off....twice. At first, I thought it was the music or something b/c as I said, it's only gone off one other time, but I quickly realized what it was, and shortly thereafter, we came across a LEO in the grass on the shoulder.

In all the excitement, I forgot to turn it off. (I had slowed by then, so I wasn't worried.) Nevertheless, pretty pleased that I have conclusive proof it works like it is supposed to.

Last edited by whats77inaname; 07-03-2013 at 12:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 03:01 AM   #2
budski
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 SSII E92 DCT ZCP

Nice! Do you have the BMW grill mount? Also, do you have the standard kit or the high powered version?

I missed out on the group buy but am interested in hearing these success stories.

ESS VT2 625 | Brembo 380mm F/R | Stack Gauges | Meisterschaft GT | KW V3 | Perf Steering Wheel | Challenge GT Lip | Perf CF Spoiler | CF Mirror Caps

Tundra TRD Rock Warrior
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #3
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by budski View Post
Nice! Do you have the BMW grill mount? Also, do you have the standard kit or the high powered version?

I missed out on the group buy but am interested in hearing these success stories.
Grill-mounted standard kit. I detailed my install here.

Here's an older pic of how they're mounted (I've made some cosmetic changes since this pic was taken):

The LI offers you the ability to upload *.wav files to personalize your LI experience, IE, make your own warning tone, start up tones, etc. I think I'm going to go ahead and do that so I can recognize the sound more readily. Michael Myers as Dr. Evil saying "Laser, laser!" or something like that

Last edited by whats77inaname; 07-01-2013 at 09:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #4
JFlo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
Since I've had it installed, it has only gone off once, and I wasn't able to locate the source. Given that, I wasn't sure whether it was working or not. Tonight I was on the way back from dinner w/my family, and we were cruising on I-35 between San Antonio and Austin, pretty much in the middle of nowhere, and it went off....twice. At first, I thought it was the music or something b/c as I said, it's only gone off one other time, but I quickly realized what it was, and shortly thereafter, we came across a LEO in the grass on the shoulder.

In all the excitement, I forgot to turn it off. (I had slowed by then, so I wasn't worried.) Nevertheless, pretty pleased that I have conclusive proof it works like it is supposed to.
Thanks for sharing your moment with us! I've decided to get an LI BMW edition after some research. I was kinda bummed that the BMW edition doesnt come in the HP version, but I guess there's enough "power" anyways. I was contemplating getting the quad package, but from what I understand there are very few states/areas where LEO shoots you from behind with a laser. At the same time, I dont want to go through with the rear install either, seems to be a pain in the a**!!! So all in all you seem pretty happy with the LI system.

Again, thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 09:36 AM   #5
JFlo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by budski View Post

Shoot! I missed the group buy too, I picked up the M3 on June 1st so I wasnt quite in the market for a new LI system at the time of the group buy!

How deep was the discount? Can we try to arrange another group buy?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 09:44 AM   #6
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlo View Post
Thanks for sharing your moment with us! I've decided to get an LI BMW edition after some research. I was kinda bummed that the BMW edition doesnt come in the HP version, but I guess there's enough "power" anyways. I was contemplating getting the quad package, but from what I understand there are very few states/areas where LEO shoots you from behind with a laser. At the same time, I dont want to go through with the rear install either, seems to be a pain in the a**!!! So all in all you seem pretty happy with the LI system.

Again, thanks for sharing!
Not a problem, but I plan to upgrade in the future, as I rather be safe than sorry. I had other opportunity costs that I chose to pursue when the group buy arose, but I wanted to get in for the buy, so I compromised. But make no mistake, I do plan on getting the rear units, as well.

Regarding install, as I've taken apart the rear of the car a bunch already (I'll be doing it again to install an LCI trunk and tail lights this weekend), part of my previous installs was to run a pull string down the length of the car, so installation time should be a lot quicker.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
JFlo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Not a problem, but I plan to upgrade in the future, as I rather be safe than sorry. I had other opportunity costs that I chose to pursue when the group buy arose, but I wanted to get in for the buy, so I compromised. But make no mistake, I do plan on getting the rear units, as well.

Regarding install, as I've taken apart the rear of the car a bunch already (I'll be doing it again to install an LCI trunk and tail lights this weekend), part of my previous installs was to run a pull string down the length of the car, so installation time should be a lot quicker.
Ya, you got a point! Go big or go home right? I guess one of my "issues" with the rear install as well is that the LI heads are relatively large as well, which makes them hard to conceal. Not that Im too afraid of LEO knowing that I have a blinder/jammer, but quite frankly it doesnt look pretty. That is why I like the BMW front mount so well.

I was/am considering the HP-905 due to the smaller size, but still Im leaning towards the LI.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #8
OilPatch
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: VW TDi & BMW M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 VW Jetta TDI  [0.00]
Did you install this yourself, or did you use a shop? If it was a shop can you PM me the shop?
      07-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #9
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilPatch View Post
Did you install this yourself, or did you use a shop? If it was a shop can you PM me the shop?
Quote:
I detailed my install here.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #10
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
I was kinda bummed that the BMW edition doesnt come in the HP version, but I guess there's enough "power" anyways. I was contemplating getting the quad package, but from what I understand there are very few states/areas where LEO shoots you from behind with a laser.
You're understanding is not quite right. The HP version head has two laser detectors -- one vertically polarized, one horizontally polarized. The "normal" LI head contains only a horizontally polarized detector. The "BMW" version contains a vertically polarized detector, but when you install the head vertically in the grill the detector is then oriented horizontally. The HP version will still work better in a BMW then the BMW edition. Did you talk to Cliff about this?

Fortunately, you still have the option of installing two more heads in the rear. Enforcement from on-ramps where you get shot in the rear is on the rise. This technique may not be used in your are now, but if they have laser someone will discover this. The same sort of technique is used for radar too. Good luck.

Cheers.
      07-18-2013, 10:15 AM   #11
JFlo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
You're understanding is not quite right. The HP version head has two laser detectors -- one vertically polarized, one horizontally polarized. The "normal" LI head contains only a horizontally polarized detector. The "BMW" version contains a vertically polarized detector, but when you install the head vertically in the grill the detector is then oriented horizontally. The HP version will still work better in a BMW then the BMW edition. Did you talk to Cliff about this?

Fortunately, you still have the option of installing two more heads in the rear. Enforcement from on-ramps where you get shot in the rear is on the rise. This technique may not be used in your are now, but if they have laser someone will discover this. The same sort of technique is used for radar too. Good luck.

Cheers.

Thanks for the insight! Sounds like the "normal" version will be plenty sufficient. But from an front installation standpoint, is there a difference between how the two models attach in the front grills on the BMW edition, or could you attach the normal version the same way?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #12
Koldun
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Putting a regular LI head vertically like the BMW ones will give you no protection.

Can't these be mounted behind the grilles? They are an eyesore.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #13
chris3g
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

Quote:
Thanks for the insight! Sounds like the "normal" version will be plenty sufficient. But from an front installation standpoint, is there a difference between how the two models attach in the front grills on the BMW edition, or could you attach the normal version the same way?
if you have the normal version, you need to mount them horizontally down by the radiator opening. if you have the BMW version, you mount them vertically in the grills.

I've spoke to Cliff about this and he thinks the normal version can work well in this location although the bmw version in the grill is probably ideal.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #14
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldun View Post
Putting a regular LI head vertically like the BMW ones will give you no protection.

Function over form in my book.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #15
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Incidentally, if anyone ends up picking up a unit based on my experience, please mention that to Cliff, as I'm eventually going to pick up the rear units and am working on trying to get a discount *lol*
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #16
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldun View Post
Sure. But they won't work.

Cheers.
      07-25-2013, 12:51 AM   #17
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Mine has yet to go off since installed. It kinda scares me.. But then again I'm not speeding around everywhere.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #18
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Up early on Sunday for brunch @ South Congress Cafe (carrot cake french toast FTW!), headed S. on 183. Since the car hadn't fully warmed up, I was in the slow lane, creeping along @ 60, and it went off. Started looking for the LEO, and saw him in a parking lot right off the access road. Motorcycle cop, which is unusual to see on Sundays. He was way off in the distance. Got a laugh b/c my friend who was with me said, "All these cars blowing by you and he targets *you*?" *lol*
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #19
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
"All these cars blowing by you and he targets *you*?" *lol*
LOL. Cops love to give tickets to people with nice cars. Call it a cost of ownership issue.

Cheers.
      08-26-2015, 01:20 AM   #20
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

I was driving down I-35 on my way downtown tonight, in the fast lane doing about 85-90 when I looked to my right and saw a police cruiser in the grass. No sooner than I spotted him and started braking when the laser alarm sounds. I checked my speed and was doing about 70 so I switched it off and went on my way.

This thing has paid for itself and I couldn't be happier with it.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 08:09 PM   #21
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Quote:
I was driving down I-35 on my way downtown tonight, in the fast lane doing about 85-90 when I looked to my right and saw a police cruiser in the grass. No sooner than I spotted him and started braking when the laser alarm sounds. I checked my speed and was doing about 70 so I switched it off and went on my way.

This thing has paid for itself and I couldn't be happier with it.
Where did you mount the radar detector?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 12:01 AM   #22
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-M3 View Post
Where did you mount the radar detector?
Radar detector is mounted in the rear headrest. The laser interceptor is mounted as detailed above http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...37&postcount=3
Appreciate 0