BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

11-26-2008, 02:50 AM   #67
Irb Digital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M E90 MANual Jerez

I liked the interior on my Z. However the plastic was cheap looking, and the interior design was starting to look a little dated. The new one will be refreshed and hopefully remedy some of the interior issues. As far as the vibration thing.......I'm not sure what he's talking about. I owned mine for 2 years, and I thought the car was very smooth. Mine was modded though, and the only thing I can relate to that, was the engine (pre rev-up motor) felt labored and started to get raspy near redline. Which is typical of an engine that starts running out of steam near redline. The car was very smooth though, and the ride was more compliant than my ///M, which probably had a lot to do with my Tein springs.

If I was on the market for a secondary car, the 370Z would be on the top of my list.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2008, 09:38 AM   #68
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

I still think it's ugly!
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2008, 01:34 PM   #69
rouxeny
Living the aloha
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

I've owned my 350Z since 2003 and I think it compares well to my new M3. Yes, the M3 is clearly far more refined. The engine is infintely smoother, the materials inside are way better. I am sure the M3 is faster on both the track and in a straight line. Obviously a better car in almost every way.

However, I still really like my 350Z. It's far simpler than the M3. You get in, turn the key, shift into first and go. With the M3, I have to remember not to put the key in before I close the door, or until after I put on my seatbelt, or the car loudly reminds me. I push the start button, fold out the mirrors, push the DCT to the right, adjust shift speed. I like all the technology present in the car, and I think as I get more used to it, it will all seem more instinctive, but it's different. Overall, I think my 350Z still offers a lot of smiles per mile, I like the exhaust snarl and the car still has more than enough power to get you into trouble very quickly. The suspension holds out on the street and I still get looks, although maybe because I have a dent in my bumper.

I'm not so sure I like the looks of the new Z, it's really angular in a way the 350 is not. I'm sure it'll be faster, hopefully ligher, and hopefully with nicer cockpit material.

Will it compare to a new M3. No, no way. One car costs essentially twice as much. It's not a fair comparison. Will it compare to a 335, probably. Either way, a great car.

I had planned on selling my 350Z after buying the M3, now I'm not so sure. I'm not sure I can own 3 cars again though....
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2008, 01:36 PM   #70
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irb Digital View Post
I liked the interior on my Z. However the plastic was cheap looking, and the interior design was starting to look a little dated. The new one will be refreshed and hopefully remedy some of the interior issues. As far as the vibration thing.......I'm not sure what he's talking about. I owned mine for 2 years, and I thought the car was very smooth. Mine was modded though, and the only thing I can relate to that, was the engine (pre rev-up motor) felt labored and started to get raspy near redline. Which is typical of an engine that starts running out of steam near redline. The car was very smooth though, and the ride was more compliant than my ///M, which probably had a lot to do with my Tein springs.

If I was on the market for a secondary car, the 370Z would be on the top of my list.
I've owned an '04 G35, and I don't think that car was smoother than my previous (..and post) E46 ///M3's at all. In fact, the suspension started squeaking about 4 months after I purchased the car. Mind you, I only owned the car for 6 months before buying an '05 Interlagos ///M3. I don't think I'd buy another Z/G35/G37.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2008, 04:52 PM   #71
Advskier
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouxeny View Post
I've owned my 350Z since 2003 and I think it compares well to my new M3. Yes, the M3 is clearly far more refined. The engine is infintely smoother, the materials inside are way better. I am sure the M3 is faster on both the track and in a straight line. Obviously a better car in almost every way.

However, I still really like my 350Z. It's far simpler than the M3. You get in, turn the key, shift into first and go. With the M3, I have to remember not to put the key in before I close the door, or until after I put on my seatbelt, or the car loudly reminds me. I push the start button, fold out the mirrors, push the DCT to the right, adjust shift speed. I like all the technology present in the car, and I think as I get more used to it, it will all seem more instinctive, but it's different. Overall, I think my 350Z still offers a lot of smiles per mile, I like the exhaust snarl and the car still has more than enough power to get you into trouble very quickly. The suspension holds out on the street and I still get looks, although maybe because I have a dent in my bumper.

I'm not so sure I like the looks of the new Z, it's really angular in a way the 350 is not. I'm sure it'll be faster, hopefully ligher, and hopefully with nicer cockpit material.

Will it compare to a new M3. No, no way. One car costs essentially twice as much. It's not a fair comparison. Will it compare to a 335, probably. Either way, a great car.

I had planned on selling my 350Z after buying the M3, now I'm not so sure. I'm not sure I can own 3 cars again though....
I don't see why you have such a hard time starting your M3. I leave my key in my pocket, grab the door handle, get in, push the start button, flip the lever to the right, and go. I leave my mirrors out when it's parked, and the shift speeds are preset with the i-drive programming.

Getting in a car and going really doesn't get any simpler.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2008, 10:12 PM   #72
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Can't remember which one, but one of the car books tested the new Z this month.

It is 4 inches shorter, 200 pounds lighter (to like 3170 pounds), has an additional 20hp and 279ft/lbs of torque at 5200rpm with a 7500rpm redline. The best 0-60 time it posted was 5.1 secs, and they said it handled very well, pulling .97g's on the skid-pad.
It has a new technology called rev matching, with the computer blipping the throttle on the MANUAL transmission on downshifts.

The outside is still ugly (but for some very cool wheels) and the inside looked horrifying.
It
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 12:43 AM   #73
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
The outside is still ugly (but for some very cool wheels) and the inside looked horrifying.
It
Just saw it in person at the LA Auto Show. I thought quite the opposite. It actually was very good looking in person. The smaller proportions really make it look more compact, more like a 911. I wasn't sure about the headlights, but when you see it in person they really work well with the design.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 09:53 AM   #74
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouxeny View Post

Exactly how I felt. Sometimes I prefer driving a simple cheap POS (just hop in and go without any worry) over the m3.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 09:57 AM   #75
graider
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advskier View Post
I don't see why you have such a hard time starting your M3. I leave my key in my pocket, grab the door handle, get in, push the start button, flip the lever to the right, and go. I leave my mirrors out when it's parked, and the shift speeds are preset with the i-drive programming.

Getting in a car and going really doesn't get any simpler.
^^I think you missed his point. actually it does require more effort. Not just start and go, but you have to be careful where to park, not hit the curb, etc. It really depends on the mood and there are lot of time that driving a less expensive, simpler car feel better. Jap cars are good in this regards.

German car offer better performance, but they have a lot of small silly issue here and there that really bother the users sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 10:15 AM   #76
Congoman775
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: hot wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
^^I think you missed his point. actually it does require more effort. Not just start and go, but you have to be careful where to park, not hit the curb, etc. It really depends on the mood and there are lot of time that driving a less expensive, simpler car feel better. Jap cars are good in this regards.

German car offer better performance, but they have a lot of small silly issue here and there that really bother the users sometimes.

just buy a shelby mustang and be happy.

faster than an M3, and that car takes pennies to mantain
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 10:24 AM   #77
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Congoman775 View Post

A great car for going in a straight line, though pretty shit at taking corners.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 04:02 PM   #78
Mr D
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
A great car for going in a straight line, though pretty shit at taking corners.
I hope you're not talking about the newer Mustangs...because the chassis of those cars have proven to be pretty good for track racing as it has won quite a few track events.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 10:15 PM   #79
graider
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

not sure if your points have anything to do with my post, lol
where did the mustang came from?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2008, 12:02 AM   #80
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr D View Post
I hope you're not talking about the newer Mustangs...because the chassis of those cars have proven to be pretty good for track racing as it has won quite a few track events.
I hope you're not talking about the Mustang that still doesn't have an independent rear suspension.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2008, 07:42 AM   #81
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Here's a pretty good review:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...est/index.html

0-60 and quarter mile - still not as fast as the E93, and definitely not up to E90/E92 numbers (still very nice though, esp. for the price - and yes, I'm getting my diggs in for the anti-convertible trolls who think the "M" badge should never adorn a convertible).

0.99g skidpad - very impressive, slightly better than E90/E92 (and noticeably better than my 450lb overweight E93, which I've seen at 0.86g (Edmunds) to 0.92g (car and driver short take?)...

I did not see slalom results - maybe C&D or R&T have tested it? I know the slalom is an area where the M3 really shines...
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2008, 08:55 AM   #82
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr D View Post
I have yet to read any reviews where the current Mustang has been praised for it's handling ability. Comparing a track setup to one for the road is like saying my C180 Merc is the best handling car in the world because Hamilton won the F1 drivers title in a Mercedes. It's not the same thing.

Nice try though.

P.S.
There is a huge difference between ultimate grip and handling finesse, American cars in general fall into the first category (Viper, Corvette, etc) and Europe/Japanese cars fall into the other category.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2008, 11:23 AM   #83
Irb Digital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M E90 MANual Jerez

Quote:
I have yet to read any reviews where the current Mustang has been praised for it's handling ability. Comparing a track setup to one for the road is like saying my C180 Merc is the best handling car in the world because Hamilton won the F1 drivers title in a Mercedes. It's not the same thing.

Nice try though.

P.S.
There is a huge difference between ultimate grip and handling finesse, American cars in general fall into the first category (Viper, Corvette, etc) and Europe/Japanese cars fall into the other category.

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2008, 04:12 PM   #84
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post
Here's a pretty good review:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...est/index.html

0-60 and quarter mile - still not as fast as the E93, and definitely not up to E90/E92 numbers (still very nice though, esp. for the price - and yes, I'm getting my diggs in for the anti-convertible trolls who think the "M" badge should never adorn a convertible).

0.99g skidpad - very impressive, slightly better than E90/E92 (and noticeably better than my 450lb overweight E93, which I've seen at 0.86g (Edmunds) to 0.92g (car and driver short take?)...

I did not see slalom results - maybe C&D or R&T have tested it? I know the slalom is an area where the M3 really shines...
Wow, 0.99g skidpad. Very impressive. All the numbers are impressive.

The car is a great value. It should hold up better than the over engineered GTR. By the way to the GTR lovers, that was called sarcasm.

Seeing it at the LA Auto Show changed my mind on the looks. It looks very good in person. I never liked the headlights, but they ended up working very well with the overall design.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 12:10 AM   #85
Congoman775
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Nice try though.

P.S.

have you seen the ring' records lately? you'll have to point out where that 'finesse' comes in handy.

The Shelby GT500 vs. M3 is very much the same argument as C63AMG vs. M3. AMG/Shelby > M3 in straights M3> in corners.

However, life is not a race track, and not only is it easier to enjoy a shelby or AMG in everyday driving, but its cheaper (in my example of the Shelby) to maintain and to repair
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 01:20 AM   #86
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post

I think it all comes down to how much you cherish your vehicle. German origin or not, if you care about your car, you will be mindful of where you park, not hitting curbs, etc. If you wanted a less expensive Japanese car, a 30-40k vehicle wouldn't be the first vehicle that came to mind. An '88 CRX might better fit the bill.

...and Japanese cars have their own share of silly issues as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2008, 01:23 AM   #87
Congoman775
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I think it all comes down to how much you cherish your vehicle. German origin or not, if you care about your car, you will be mindful of where you park, not hitting curbs, etc. If you wanted a less expensive Japanese car, a 30-40k vehicle wouldn't be the first vehicle that came to mind. An '88 CRX might better fit the bill.

...and Japanese cars have their own share of silly issues as well.
370z > 335i

M> 370z.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2008, 02:38 PM   #88
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
370z > 335i
That remains to be seen. We shall see how the cars compare once some objective (..and subjective) testing has taken place.
Appreciate 0