BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-29-2012, 05:53 PM   #67
snowmants
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06S2K,'11EVO,'11Jeep,'13GL450

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [10.00]
you kept trying to drift turn 1.... and the time you spun in oak tree, i knew you weren't going to make it before you even hit the apex with the amount of speed and the line you were taking going in. What group were you guys driving in that you were allowed to pass on the inside of turn 1? looked like fun!!!
'06 Honda S2000 #555 TT5
'16 Porsche GT4
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 07:01 PM   #68
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmants View Post
you kept trying to drift turn 1.... and the time you spun in oak tree, i knew you weren't going to make it before you even hit the apex with the amount of speed and the line you were taking going in. What group were you guys driving in that you were allowed to pass on the inside of turn 1? looked like fun!!!
We had a blast, it was with the blue group. I was pushing the car safely over the edge so I can see where the limits are. Turn 1 is a great place to do that because of the runoff. I wasn't trying to drift though because I wanted to keep pace with the rest of the group. The oak tree spin was fun, I actually had it under control until the very end when I got on the gas a little too early. The hogpen spin though was a little unexpected, should not have lifted as much as I did.

Spin at 21:15
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #69
snowmants
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06S2K,'11EVO,'11Jeep,'13GL450

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [10.00]
that was a great spin!
hogpen is a popular place for spins. Once you go in you can't lift. You just have to judge how much speed you can handle because if you lift once you are in going downhill you are going off I am always a bit tentative at hog pen.
'06 Honda S2000 #555 TT5
'16 Porsche GT4
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #70
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmants View Post
that was a great spin!
hogpen is a popular place for spins. Once you go in you can't lift. You just have to judge how much speed you can handle because if you lift once you are in going downhill you are going off I am always a bit tentative at hog pen.
The good part is that there's plenty of runoffs at hog pen also. I know better now than to even think about lifting through there but at least I already got my spin in. So I've spun at 2 corners so far, only 15 more to go!

Last edited by armyav8tor; 05-30-2012 at 02:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #71
IS350
IS350 to IS-F to M3 and M4
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

I'm making my debut at VIR or ANY real road coarse July 2nd and 3rd. I'll admit, the spins make me a bit uneasy. Will start really slow in the novice group of course. Any basic tips for the course any of you would recommend would be ideal. Also, as a novice, how critical is it that I upgrade my brake fluid?
Thx!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 05:52 AM   #72
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IS350 View Post
I'm making my debut at VIR or ANY real road coarse July 2nd and 3rd. I'll admit, the spins make me a bit uneasy. Will start really slow in the novice group of course. Any basic tips for the course any of you would recommend would be ideal. Also, as a novice, how critical is it that I upgrade my brake fluid?
Thx!
I recommend watching videos to see the do's and don'ts. There's a really good video of an Audi R8 crashing going up the climbing esses on Youtube. Just search R8 VIR crash. As long as you have respect for the track, you'll be fine. If you don't plan on going faster than 2:30 around the track, you can go with stock pads and fluids. Once you dip down into the 2:20s, you'll probably want to upgrade your pads.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 07:08 AM   #73
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford Super Duty

Quote:
Thx!
First time I would listen to your instructor...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 09:39 AM   #74
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

Take advantage from the advice provided by your instructor, and have fun. Your car should be fine as is if this is the first track event you have participated in. Just be sure and have it tech inspected BEFORE you leave for the track. Do not be afraid to ask questions, from specific track issues to general HPDE topics. If you have time, look for me, I will be there and would be nice to meet you. I drive a white E92, number 711. I will be easy to fine.
See you there,
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #75
IS350
Rep

Thanks for all the comments! Not to overthink, but I'm hearing the stock brake fluid overheats quickly? This is the outline of driving, looks like just 2 30 minute sessions on the track in Novice and an open driving session. Thoughts?
My biggest concern, will I have a brake fade warning if they start to overheat?
http://www.chinmotorsports.com/forms/469_pdfSch.pdf

This is a comment from someone who works with those at M-school:

I can tell you that we use stock vehicles (1M, M3 & M5) for our Advanced M Schools at VIR. By the end of the 2nd day, they will need new brakes. I would classify most of the participants for that school as being Advanced, with a good amount of track experience.

Keep in mind, the maintenance coverage for any items that could incur increased wear from tracking the vehicle could be denied (i.e. they won’t allow you to have new brakes installed every week). There is an exclusion listed for this in the Service and Warranty Manual.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 02:56 PM   #76
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

Quote:
Thanks for all the comments! Not to overthink, but I'm hearing the stock brake fluid overheats quickly? This is the outline of driving, looks like just 2 30 minute sessions on the track in Novice and an open driving session. Thoughts?

This is a comment from someone who works with those at M-school:

I can tell you that we use stock vehicles (1M, M3 & M5) for our Advanced M Schools at VIR. By the end of the 2nd day, they will need new brakes. I would classify most of the participants for that school as being Advanced, with a good amount of track experience.

Keep in mind, the maintenance coverage for any items that could incur increased wear from tracking the vehicle could be denied (i.e. they won’t allow you to have new brakes installed every week). There is an exclusion listed for this in the Service and Warranty Manual.
I changed my stock brake fluid to Motul RBF600 and the car/brakes were excellent throughout the 4 sessions @ VIR. Definitely change the brake fluid if nothing else.

Considering its your first time..try to enjoy yourself and considering the heat...stay hydrated.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 03:24 PM   #77
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D View Post
First time I would listen to your instructor...
Just make sure when your instructor asks you what you would like to learn/do on the track just tell him/her, "I am here to F#$K shit up!" They love that.

Current: 2014 F10 M5
Previous: 2015 F80 M3, 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #78
von_zoom
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Assume that you are talking about the Chin Event at VIR. If so, the Novice , Green, group will have four (4) sessions of 30 min. each, on Mon and Tue. You will get a lot of driving in. Stop worring about your brakes. I will be very surprised if you have any problems unless you have a sub standard M3.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #79
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by von_zoom View Post
Assume that you are talking about the Chin Event at VIR. If so, the Novice , Green, group will have four (4) sessions of 30 min. each, on Mon and Tue. You will get a lot of driving in. Stop worring about your brakes. I will be very surprised if you have any problems unless you have a sub standard M3.
vz
Are those the ones missing a pedal?
      06-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #80
von_zoom
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y View Post
Are those the ones missing a pedal?
... and gloves
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #81
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPowerJ View Post
Just make sure when your instructor asks you what you would like to learn/do on the track just tell him/her, "I am here to F#$K shit up!" They love that.
"I'm not here to f*ck about!" was another one heard "live" from a Novice in an M5 at VIR. True story.

You could also try the approach I used with von_zoom when I met him at first at VIR...I said "sit there, shut the f*ck up and I will tell you when you can get out!". It worked wonders for our in-car bonding!

Okay, I might have made that up. However, after our first session, he did ask me to drop him by the restroom as soon as we got off the track. [That's a true story]. Feedback is not always verbal...so I took that as a compliment!
[I wasn't sure what to make of that, but I did wonder if I would see him again!]
      06-28-2012, 05:25 PM   #82
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep
Drives: Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPowerJ View Post
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #83
maxxfish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Thx!
I'll be there instructing. If this is your first event, your brake fluid will be fine. I'll be there in my new (to me) Space Gray E92 M3, feel free to track me down and I'll give you a ride and we can F#$K shit up.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 08:47 PM   #84
IS350
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxfish View Post
I'll be there instructing. If this is your first event, your brake fluid will be fine. I'll be there in my new (to me) Space Gray E92 M3, feel free to track me down and I'll give you a ride and we can F#$K shit up.
Thanks for the comments all, and congrats on your E92! Be great if either you or Von Zoom where my instructor! Have any of you who've run VIR ever noticed problems with stock brakes and fluid? I was researching the stock is DOT 4, and the aftermarket DOT 5, the boiling point doesn't appear terribly different, but I suppose every bit makes an impact?

Any other gear I DEFINITELY need? My cousin's hubby is in the Novice Group with a 911 GT3, he says the neck pad helps for the helmet rest, and eases pressure on the neck after lots of driving? Gloves key too?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #85
maxxfish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Thanks for the comments all, and congrats on your E92! Be great if either you or Von Zoom where my instructor! Have any of you who've run VIR ever noticed problems with stock brakes and fluid? I was researching the stock is DOT 4, and the aftermarket DOT 5, the boiling point doesn't appear terribly different, but I suppose every bit makes an impact?

Any other gear I DEFINITELY need? My cousin's hubby is in the Novice Group with a 911 GT3, he says the neck pad helps for the helmet rest, and eases pressure on the neck after lots of driving? Gloves key too?
Don't worry about any of that stuff. There is no way a novice is going to boil his brakes the first time out.

You're fine without a neck pad, but gloves will be nice if it's super-hot and your hands get sweaty.

A novice in a GT3? Oh, sounds like fun! There's also a first-timer driving a Ford GT, hope I don't get those guys! Chin tends to pair students and instructors in similar cars, so it's likely you'll end up with Von or me.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 10:59 PM   #86
IS350
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxfish View Post
Don't worry about any of that stuff. There is no way a novice is going to boil his brakes the first time out.

You're fine without a neck pad, but gloves will be nice if it's super-hot and your hands get sweaty.

A novice in a GT3? Oh, sounds like fun! There's also a first-timer driving a Ford GT, hope I don't get those guys! Chin tends to pair students and instructors in similar cars, so it's likely you'll end up with Von or me.
Thx a bunch! I'm here tonight, hanging near my cousin's garage 3. Can't wait for tomorrow, do either of you have any extra oil I could buy in case I need a top off? Also, thoughts on track day imsurance? I plan to drive extra slow, it's the other guys I worry about, as this is my daily driver.
Thx!
Michael
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #87
IS350
Rep

Von Zoom,
Thx so much for a world of instruction, my head is still hurting trying to peace it all together, but overall, what a blast.
maxxfish, thanks also for the ride, outstanding!
I'll hope to post some pics and vids soon, should probably start another thread with the actual date of the VIR run, huh!
Appreciate 0