BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-24-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
EVOLVE E-tronic Exhaust Review

Before I go ahead and get into my review, I will talk a little bit of how I came to the conclusion of purchasing this exhaust system. Before I even purchased my E92 M3 I knew I wanted a exhaust. It was very hard to find an exhaust I liked, I would watch endless videos and reviews about exhaust and decided to RPI GT Muffler (did not think I would like the full system) From that point I went through several different setups:

-RPI GT with Full RPI X-Pipe
-OEM Exhaust Mod Performed By VS Motorsports (Ended up being way to raspy with RPI X-Pipe and way to pingy for stock x-pipe)
-AE Exhaust with Stock X-Pipe (liked it but kinda quite)
-AE Exhaust with Challenge Street (liked it, but as time went on it got quite ha)
-AE Exhaust with Challenge Race+ (sounded great, but way too loud)

So back to the topic of the Evolve E-Tronic Exhaust. When I first saw the thread that Evolve posted I was very anxious about what they were going to come up with. I have seen many of there older threads about the E60 setup and was very excited.

At first, when videos came out I was not sure if I would like the exhaust, I am pretty sure many feel the same way, but the videos seemed to make the exhaust sound much different than it actually is. So instead of purchasing the Evolve unit first, I went ahead and purchased the Challenge Race+ X-Pipe from a friend (it was a great deal, trust me) It sounded okay for a while, but it ended up being way to loud for me and I have many complaints from my neighbors (haha) I regretted doing so haha

So this is where VS Motorsports and Evolve come into play. I went into to VS to get a Evolve Stage II tune for my car, which ended up both companies giving me a great deal on the Evolve E-Tronic Exhaust.

INSTALLATION
When it came time to install the unit, it was very easy and no modifications were needed (I mean I personally did not do the install, but watched VS Motorsports isntall it haha) Everything seemed to bolt on and fit like the stock exhaust. Evolve even supplied more bolts and screws then needed, which made it easier if something did happen down the road.

BREAKING IN THE EXHAUST
Sal@EVOLVE told me that once the exhaust is broken in the exhaust with the valve open is much louder then the initial startup. Even without a full break in of the exhaust it sounded amazing. It was indeed quite at first, but once you put on the miles the exhaust note changed and oh boy did it change!

AFTER BREAK IN
WOW!!!
There is no other way to describe it! It is a much deeper, smoother tone. When the valve was closed it sounded similar to the AE exhaust with stock x-pipe, but much deeper and louder. IT wasn't too loud, which was perfect! When you open the valve the exhaust note changes and has a very nice rumble. I would compare it to a full Dinan Exhaust, but with a deeper noise.
When the valve is open with the sport button! Boom thats when all hell breaks loss and it sounds like something that is very hard to explain. I hope the VS Motorsports/Unscene video does this exhaust justice.
When Sal and Imran were trying to sell me there exhaust, there selling point was "You get two exhausts for the price of one" and this is very correct. But honestly, you get four exhausts! When you press the Sport/M button holy crap the exhaust screams!!! Even when the valve is closed!

RUNNING WITH STOCK XPIPE

Sal asked me to run it with stock xpipe, and I was surprised at how well the unit sounded. The tone was nice with the valve closed and loud when it needed to be (open sounded like my old RPI unit) This was very surprising seeing that the unit had the stock primary cats. I thought it would be too quite, but really sounded just as nice with a full system.

CONCLUSION
This is overall a great exhaust, it is perfect for the people who don't want a loud exhaust in the morning (valve closed) and for the person who wants to whomp on the car to hear the beautiful BMW V8 sound! The only negatives I have is that it is hard to tell if the valve is completely open or closed, but you can tell when you rev it. The last negative is the sound is so good that you go through so much gas haha. I have a bigger lead foot now with the new exhaust! If you are planning on running this unit, I would suggest to run this unit with the Evolve tune, it works so well together and Sal does a great job to tune the car accordingly with the mods you have.
Appreciate 1
werdn656.00
      11-24-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
rxt27
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Frozen Gray E92 M3

Very nice sound OP! I have been hearing Evolve videos at youtube. Its definitely one of the best sounding exhaust for the M3 in the market. I have not heard it in person though. My setup is OEM GTS exhaust with custom Akra front and middle section. Sound is also epic. Will post videos when I have the chance.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 01:56 AM   #3
Jamie@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Boosted

Thanks for the review!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 04:02 AM   #4
BLACK OPS
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Thanks for the review. I'm looking forward to the black exhaust.

2011.75 Jet Black E92 ///M3: ZCP|6MT|FR|EVOLVE 600 SUPERCHARGER|DINAN|BBS|VORSTEINER|BMW PERFORMANCE|IND EDITION|TMS|LUX 5K|
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 05:06 AM   #5
shrimpp5
Rep
Drives: e92

Looks like an amazing piece of work!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 11:29 AM   #6
sycd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 [MT]

Garage List
2023 BMW M2 [MT]  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
Why would the exhaust note be different in power mode? Does their tune change something else than throttle response in that mode? If I'm not mistaken that's the only difference in sports mode with the stock tuning.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #7
RBB
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycd View Post
Why would the exhaust note be different in power mode? Does their tune change something else than throttle response in that mode? If I'm not mistaken that's the only difference in sports mode with the stock tuning.
I've noticed the same thing on my exhaust. I'm running a full system from the headers back and it does sound louder and more agressive in Sport or Sport+. Even my wife can tell the difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #8
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBB View Post
I've noticed the same thing on my exhaust. I'm running a full system from the headers back and it does sound louder and more agressive in Sport or Sport+. Even my wife can tell the difference.
yeah not sure what it is, but it sounds different, you can notice the sound difference for sure, could be my ears playing games with me but could tell a difference with my old setup as well. Evolve does a great job with adjusting both sport mode and non sport job and did a great job when I asked for a adjusted tune with the E-Tronic Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #9
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Sounds great! Sal, sent you an email, I have a customer interested in it.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 12:59 PM   #10
TheDeliverator
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A Singularity

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
The change in note has nothing to do with the exhaust.

It's the throttle map in Sport and Sport + (which again, does not provide more power, just more gas, more quickly)... Benvo has some maps around here somewhere

I still want this exhaust. 'C'mon Santa, help me out!!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #11
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeliverator View Post

It's the throttle map in Sport and Sport + (which again, does not provide more power, just more gas, more quickly)... Benvo has some maps around here somewhere

I would love to hear it in person.. Anyone in the LA area?

If I like it too much I might have to sell my akra

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 01:07 PM   #12
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
I would love to hear it in person.. Anyone in the LA area?

If I like it too much I might have to sell my akra
come to chicago and you can hear mine

Quote:

I agree with you, if i stated it was the exhaust my bad, but i agree it has to do with the map
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #13
TheDeliverator
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A Singularity

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
...I agree with you, if i stated it was the exhaust my bad, but i agree it has to do with the map
Don't think you did. I was trying to answer someone's question about why it sounds like you have 4 exhausts.

BTW: Jealous of you.

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 03:11 PM   #14
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Awesome review man! I can't wait to see the video that UMG puts together. Hopefully he was able to capture the exhaust note as accurate as possible.

I can't wait to hear this beast!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #15
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeliverator View Post
Don't think you did. I was trying to answer someone's question about why it sounds like you have 4 exhausts.

BTW: Jealous of you.

LOLOL
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 03:33 PM   #16
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
sounds pretty damn good. congrats
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 07:30 PM   #17
MiamiE93Vert
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 Convertible

Congrats, Enjoy! If you want, think about adding the Evolve X-pipe. Got my full system in August and still love it.

AA Pulley, Air Filter and Tune - Full Evolve Valvetronic Exhaust - 380/355 Stoptech BBK, BBS FI's and other fun stuff.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #18
crispy tofu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

yeah, i heard this exhaust on kitw's car. sounds great. a bit quieter with valve closed would be even better from my perspective. but sounds great anyhow.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #19
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiE93Vert View Post
Congrats, Enjoy! If you want, think about adding the Evolve X-pipe. Got my full system in August and still love it.
I am currently running the full exhaust and LOVE IT! wish the weather in Chicago was nicer to drive it
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #20
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

great review! sounds raw as fuck

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 09:17 PM   #21
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by the infamous... View Post
great review! sounds raw as fuck
I heard this beast last night....honestly, it is so much better than I expected. I knew it was going to sound incredible, but this exhaust has definitely surpassed my expectation! I can't wait to hear it at full throttle hopefully in the near future!

With the valves closed, the tone is very clean, strongly stated, and aggressive. Volume is no doubt very street compliant!

With the valve opened, huge difference! The true voice of the V8 really starts to show it's presence. It has a slight crisp burble to it and the volume is clearly increased.

Thanks for showing us some nice blips of the throttle last night!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #22
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
I heard this beast last night....honestly, it is so much better than I expected. I knew it was going to sound incredible, but this exhaust has definitely surpassed my expectation! I can't wait to hear it at full throttle hopefully in the near future!

With the valves closed, the tone is very clean, strongly stated, and aggressive. Volume is no doubt very street compliant!

With the valve opened, huge difference! The true voice of the V8 really starts to show it's presence. It has a slight crisp burble to it and the volume is clearly increased.

Thanks for showing us some nice blips of the throttle last night!
No problem Alex, too bad the weather sucks.. but hopefully stuff gets going this winter
Appreciate 0