BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

09-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #23
Raucky2000
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SGM E90 M3 dct

As low as you can go before the front and rear controls go past level.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #24
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
A few thoretical pointers:

Stiffer springs do not change the amount of weight transfer; front to rear or left to right. However, with stiffer springs, the car moves less (roll/ pitch) for a given weight transfer. This allows the car to take a faster set when changing attitude and allows better control of the tire position relative to the road.

Lowering the ride height will reduce the amount of weight transfer because it reduces the distance between the center of gravity and roll/pitch centers. Reducing weight transfer improves grip. This is where it gets interresting, changing the front and rear height by different amounts will change the front to rear left-right weight transfer balance. For example, lowering the front more than the rear, when in a corner, the rear will see more weight transfer than the front which increases the front grip relative to the rear (less understeer or more oversteer)

The stock M3 suspension has a pretty good anti-dive / anti-squat geometry built-in. I personaly don't find it dives too much under braking. I found my E46 much worse in that respect.

I have been tracking cars for almost 20 years, so I don't consider myself a novice anymore. IMO, the stock EDC suspension is quite capable. I run a mild r-comp (NT01) and I am pretty impressed with the suspension. For sure, better springs or a coil over will make it better. But it is pretty good out of the box .
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 09:22 PM   #25
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I have been tracking cars for almost 20 years, so I don't consider myself a novice anymore. IMO, the stock EDC suspension is quite capable. I run a mild r-comp (NT01) and I am pretty impressed with the suspension. For sure, better springs or a coil over will make it better. But it is pretty good out of the box .
Which is even more of a reason why sleeve-over kits are mostly a waste...IMO.

I also disagree with the first remark. It takes 21 years to shed the novice title.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 07:54 AM   #26
Billj747
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
A few thoretical pointers:

Stiffer springs do not change the amount of weight transfer; front to rear or left to right. However, with stiffer springs, the car moves less (roll/ pitch) for a given weight transfer. This allows the car to take a faster set when changing attitude and allows better control of the tire position relative to the road.

Lowering the ride height will reduce the amount of weight transfer because it reduces the distance between the center of gravity and roll/pitch centers. Reducing weight transfer improves grip. This is where it gets interresting, changing the front and rear height by different amounts will change the front to rear left-right weight transfer balance. For example, lowering the front more than the rear, when in a corner, the rear will see more weight transfer than the front which increases the front grip relative to the rear (less understeer or more oversteer)

The stock M3 suspension has a pretty good anti-dive / anti-squat geometry built-in. I personaly don't find it dives too much under braking. I found my E46 much worse in that respect.

While I agree that stiffer springs do not affect the amount of weight transfer and they make the car take a set quicker, too stiff of springs reduces contact with the ground, especially on bumpy surfaces.

Lowering the car lowers both the Cg and the roll centers. But I agree that lowering the front generally gives the front slightly more grip. However, rake (or lowering the front more than the rear) has no real impact on the cars weight distribution.

I also don't think the stock suspension is that bad on track and the car does not dive all that much under braking.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 08:14 AM   #27
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billj747 View Post
While I agree that stiffer springs do not affect the amount of weight transfer and they make the car take a set quicker, too stiff of springs reduces contact with the ground, especially on bumpy surfaces.
Agreed its all about finding that sweet spot compromise.

Quote:
Lowering the car lowers both the Cg and the roll centers. But I agree that lowering the front generally gives the front slightly more grip. However, rake (or lowering the front more than the rear) has no real impact on the cars weight distribution.
You are correct, I was confusing two things here, roll center position only has a very negligible impact on weight transfer. Here, weight transfer is reduced simply because Cg is lowered.

I may not have been clear, but I never wanted to imply that static weight distribution was altered .

Quote:
I also don't think the stock suspension is that bad on track and the car does not dive all that much under braking.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 09-23-2013 at 08:57 AM..
Appreciate 0