BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-17-2007, 03:00 AM   #1
OzStriker
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Ford Falcon Ute, Ducati 1198S

Garage List
Are launch cars okay?

I have the opportunity to get a launch M3 here in Oz from my local dealership in mid October, or wait for my own spec car in January.

What gets done to launch cars? Are they thrashed and scratched?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2007, 04:57 AM   #2
deandob
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 E39

OzStriker,

Are these the cars that BMW Australia is touring the country with for BMW M3 track days in October? If so, I don't think they would be an ideal purchase due to high stresses if they are not already run in (10K Kms is a lot of driving when the cars are new in the country). If they are the dealer demo cars then probably better but still a question mark around run in. I would say you would want a good discount on demo/track cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2007, 04:59 AM   #3
OzStriker
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Ford Falcon Ute, Ducati 1198S

Garage List
I would not touch a track day car, I think the car will just be at the dealership for the launch then displayed for a day or two.

Its okay I have decided to resist temptation and wait until January, the launch car is Jerez and I really want white out, black in so I will be patient, and the wait will make the first drive all that sweeter!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2007, 08:18 AM   #4
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzStriker View Post
What gets done to launch cars? Are they thrashed and scratched?
Well if the car arrives at the dealership with no miles (or only miles put on during shipping) and you get to take delivery before any employee or customer gets their mitts on it, then I say there's absolutely nothing to stop you from purchasing it.

In any other scenario though, I would definitely pass.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2007, 08:39 AM   #5
Filthy Monkey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

My car was a UK launch car and was delivered, unregistered with only 10 miles on the clock. I would suggest clarifying with your dealer exactly what they mean by launch car. BMW generally produces a load of cars to a specific spec in the first build, delivering these to dealers as showroom or demo models. If you can get one that is unused then there is no difference between a launch car and a customer car, except that you don't get to choose your own spec.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2007, 08:43 AM   #6
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
My car was a UK launch car and was delivered, unregistered with only 10 miles on the clock.
That reminds me FM - a while back mofomat was saying (if I understood him correctly) that the dealerships in the UK weren't allowed to sell the launch cars ("demo cars") as new cars. How were you able to get your dealership's demo car? Was it a special arrangement?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2007, 11:01 AM   #7
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
That reminds me FM - a while back mofomat was saying (if I understood him correctly) that the dealerships in the UK weren't allowed to sell the launch cars ("demo cars") as new cars. How were you able to get your dealership's demo car? Was it a special arrangement?
That's true. They're not allowed to sell them as new, so BMW will be the first registered owners.

However, it seems that some dealers were given two demo cars, and they were selling the second of them immediately.

By the way, talk of 2 year waiting lists in the UK is absolute rubbish. Lots and lots of buyers are pulling out due to the perceived high price and also no DCT yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2007, 12:15 PM   #8
Filthy Monkey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

That's correct. My dealer was given two cars - One for test drives and one showroom car, but BMW allowed them to sell the showroom car straight away, unregistered, and I was the lucky one they offered it to
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2007, 12:22 PM   #9
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Cool thanks for the explanation guys.
Appreciate 0