BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #23
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
IME with both the bit one.1 and the MS-8, the MS-8 wins my vote just because the way it uses its Logic7 processing to get the best of the center channel and thus the whole front stage.

I never was able to even come close to that effect with the bit one.1 manual tuning.

Other than this, I can get all the midbass and overall adjustabiliy that I need and then some with the MS-8 once I understood how all the manual adjustments influence each other. So that's a draw with the bit one.1.
I was never intending to install a center channel but I assume the logic 7 can compensate for that when it sees that there is no center. Can you do a 3-way front stage + center + sub on the MS-8 without using passives? I guess there should be enough channels if you don't connect the rear to the MS-8. Otherwise you would need to use passives somewhere in the front stage and it would most likely be between the mid and tweeter.
      02-26-2011, 10:47 PM   #24
simplicityinsound
Rep
Drives: 2005 LGT stage 3

IMO the MS8 is a fantastic piece for most people, 6-10 mins and you are already at a superb starting point, and with some more tweaking on the eq, i would say fairly quickly, you will get to around 85-90 percent of the total potential of the equipment, locations and interior.

so if you currently have a totally tune your own EQ and find that you are constantly "tuning" by never seemingly improve, or that you find the whole exercise of tuning and retuning just annoying and you could care less and just want to find a very nice level of SQ that you can be happy with , day in and day out...then the MS8 is absolutely for you.

I also really believe that the ms8 works much better with a center channel, and also with rears, both can be hooked up with just the ms8's internal amp. i find that on cars without a center, i cant get the center image to be quite as stable and precise as with tune your own processors, no matter how many times i run the calibration. the depth of the system also really does improve with the rears (Side i guess in MS8 terminology) hooked up. So i think if there is anyway to do those two things when doing a ms8, i would.

however, for guys who tinker or perhaps compete and really want to try and make fine changes to our system and small adjustments, the ms8 is just not the right unit. obviously, having to go through the entire setup process each time you just want to change a single filter slope or freq is annoying, but also, its really hard to get the same exact tune out of the auto calibration each time. Someone i know recently put his car on the rta, and ran it through a whole bunch of autotunes while trying to maintain the same head position, and in the end, each time he got something slightly different...what this means is that its almost impossible to proceed forward and make improvements on your existing tune because each time you recalibrate, you would start off at a totally different starting point.

this also means that if you have some minor issues about your system that you dont like, like you want to lower the HP slope of the tweeter, but you love almost everything else about the system, just to try it out to see if it helps imaging staging, well there is always that issue that you would have to re run everything and may loose that "golden autotune" you had on there...and can never get it back...

again, these are things that 99 percent of the people would never care, but if you are among the 1 percent, then i would really look to a full tune your own unit. i for one, will always run one of those in any of my personal vehicles
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 10:48 PM   #25
simplicityinsound
Rep
Drives: 2005 LGT stage 3

as far as the bitone goes...aside from a few reliablity problems, its not terrible, and again i feel like the ms8 is so different a type of processor that there is no sense in comparing it to the bitone
Appreciate 0