BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-31-2008, 05:58 PM   #1
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

AT & T to Verizon Texting

I have 3 friends who have verizon and I have at & t and for some reason they get my texts veryyy late sometimes. Anyone have similar issues? Sometimes it works fine but other times they either get it like 40 mins late or never at all. Very frustrating.

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 06:04 PM   #2
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

i have the same problem texting my only friend with verizon. sometimes it takes 5-10 minutes for me to receive his texts. verizon sucks here though, at&t has a stranglehold on texas cell phones.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 11:42 PM   #3
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Happens with my girl as well. Sometimes she'll send texts that I receive 45 minutes-2 hours later and other times they take 3 seconds. It's AT&T. She thinks it's because she had Cingular and it keeps switching networks. Not sure what the deal is. All I know is everyone tells me to stay away from AT&T. If it wasn't for the Iphone, I don't think a lot of people would be customers.
      11-01-2008, 12:43 AM   #4
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

happens to me as well
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2008, 04:27 AM   #5
Anthony456
We don't sleep
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: TiAg e90

it happens to me too. verizon sucks.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2008, 01:24 PM   #6
SebringS2k
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 335i 6MT

yea serious, happened this morning, I got a text at 9:45am, but the timestamp was 3:35am, wtf! I'm on ATT, she's on verizon
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2008, 02:13 PM   #7
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
It's AT&T. She thinks it's because she had Cingular and it keeps switching networks. Not sure what the deal is. All I know is everyone tells me to stay away from AT&T. If it wasn't for the Iphone, I don't think a lot of people would be customers.
i have to disagree. first, i don't think it's at&t...it's got to be verizon. all CDMA carriers got into the SMS game really late. back in the day, when receiving a SMS on a CDMA carrier, you used to have to pull of web browser to view or send an SMS. it has always been shady at best texting someone on a CDMA network from a GSM network. i never have trouble texting anyone on a GSM carrier like at&t or t-mo because SMS was designed for use on GSM while it was merely adapted for CDMA carriers.

secondly, there really isn't anything wrong with at&t's network. it's the largest GSM network in the country and i haven't had any coverage or dropped call issues in years. all i ever hear about verizon anywhere outside of the tri-state area is that verizon sucks. CDMA = old skool.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2008, 02:26 PM   #8
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakepilot View Post
i have to disagree. first, i don't think it's at&t...it's got to be verizon. all CDMA carriers got into the SMS game really late. back in the day, when receiving a SMS on a CDMA carrier, you used to have to pull of web browser to view or send an SMS. it has always been shady at best texting someone on a CDMA network from a GSM network. i never have trouble texting anyone on a GSM carrier like at&t or t-mo because SMS was designed for use on GSM while it was merely adapted for CDMA carriers.

secondly, there really isn't anything wrong with at&t's network. it's the largest GSM network in the country and i haven't had any coverage or dropped call issues in years. all i ever hear about verizon anywhere outside of the tri-state area is that verizon sucks. CDMA = old skool.
Not sure how it is in Texas, but in Georgia I've never had an issue at all with dropped calls or coverage problems. In fact, since I chose the bottom floor of my building, the only provider that works in here is Verizon.

I was searching for a different cell phone provider, found the website below to get an idea of what people in this city thought. Again, this is just for Augusta, but read the reviews and tell me AT&T comes remotely close to Verizon. Verizon pricing sucks, but thats about it for me.

http://www.cellreception.com/coverag...sta/page1.html

Just for the hell of it, here's Dallas reviews:

http://www.cellreception.com/coverag...las/page1.html

Maybe you're lucky where you are, and you certainly sound like you understand how carriers work, but Cingular providers here cannot wait for their contracts to expire to get out of AT&T.
      11-01-2008, 02:39 PM   #9
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

i've seen that site before. there's always more than one way to skin a cat. my experience has been, and i've traveled quite a bit (hence i am a pilot), my at&t phones have worked pretty much flawlessly wherever i've been, including international...well except for japan, but i haven't been back since USA rolled out 3G anyway. i've had pretty much all the carriers and have found at&t generally to be the best everywhere...we'll just say the most well rounded. but of course, there are geographical situations where it could vary, these are just my educated observations.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2008, 08:36 PM   #10
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
I too have the delay issue when texting from my iPhone on at&t to verizon phones. I also have severe problems with dropped calls when calling t-mobile phones, though I think that's t-mobile's fault and not at&t's.
Appreciate 0