BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

04-22-2008, 02:11 PM   #1
kungfufishing
Rep
Drives: 350z

Comparison

My local BMW dealer declined my test drive request. I liked how the car looked and am fine with the interior. Obviously, Im not buying an M3 until I've driven it at another dealership.

I presently drive a 350z which I really enjoy. I'm finishing residency and buying myself a present, really just looking for something a little nicer, faster, more comfortable, but no less fun to drive than my current car and preferably more so. I've driven

C2s - loved it but would not spend the money for a new one, so would be used
C4s - loved it, see above
Cayman S - Razorsharp steering but just not that much faster than what I drive now (lotta money for not much performance gain).
Z4M - as fun as the cayman S and nicer inside but, again, probably not 50 grand more fun than my paid off 350z.
Z06 - wow is it fast, kind of a heavy/large feeling car, didnt corner (turn in) like my current, smaller car - felt bigger because it is. quality?

As you can see, many different kinds of car here, but I am not hung up on anything other than my enjoyment of cornering and acceleration.

I would MOST like a car, new daily driver, with 4 seats that drives and feels about like a 911. Is this the M3? Or is all the talk of performance meant to be followed by "....for a sedan...." Now, that is fine if it is the case. Perhaps the same is to be said for the c63 and rs4.

Not wanting to spend more than 70K. Some rain and occasional snow where I live.

So, my question. For those of you who have driven one or more of these machines, how does the E92 M3 compare? Interested to hear opinions.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 05:32 PM   #2
jm1234
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Jet Black/Tan/SA 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfufishing View Post
My local BMW dealer declined my test drive request. I liked how the car looked and am fine with the interior. Obviously, Im not buying an M3 until I've driven it at another dealership.

I presently drive a 350z which I really enjoy. I'm finishing residency and buying myself a present, really just looking for something a little nicer, faster, more comfortable, but no less fun to drive than my current car and preferably more so. I've driven

Cayman S - Razorsharp steering but just not that much faster than what I drive now (lotta money for not much performance gain).
Z4M - as fun as the cayman S and nicer inside but, again, probably not 50 grand more fun than my paid off 350z.
Z06 - wow is it fast, kind of a heavy/large feeling car, didnt corner (turn in) like my current, smaller car - felt bigger because it is. quality?

As you can see, many different kinds of car here, but I am not hung up on anything other than my enjoyment of cornering and acceleration.

I would MOST like a car, new daily driver, with 4 seats that drives and feels about like a 911. Is this the M3? Or is all the talk of performance meant to be followed by "....for a sedan...." Now, that is fine if it is the case. Perhaps the same is to be said for the c63 and rs4.

So, my question. For those of you who have driven one or more of these machines, how does the E92 M3 compare? Interested to hear opinions.
Wow, you really like that Z. I would say the M3 is in an entirely different league but then again I would say the same for some of the cars above. I haven't driven the 350Z but I have some of those you compare to it as well as the old 300Z TT. I didn't like the last Z (300 TT) and I bought an RX-7 instead and I didn't think the new Z was as good a car and I think the cars above are much better than my car (including the new M3). Even if I could give you my opinion I don't think you would agree with me.

I can tell you that the first dealer I went to wouldn't give me a test drive either. He didn't get the sale. Just go someplace else.

P.S. What is a C2 and C4? The only ones I'm aware of are old Corvettes and Citroen. I don't think that's what you are talking about.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 05:42 PM   #3
kungfufishing
Rep

Thanks for the reply. I do like my current car, but not blindly - hence my desire to upgrade. Particularly in driving the Z4M and Cayman S, I was surprised that they were not light years better than my current vehicle in terms of the actual drive, because I expected to be blown away. C2s/C4s- 911 carreraS and 4S. Those two would certainly be my favorite 2 cars I've test driven, but they just want too much money. Even though I probably COULD afford it I think it would be ridiculous to do so. Is the M3 more like a 911 or more like, I dunno, a WRX type experience?

Last edited by kungfufishing; 04-22-2008 at 05:47 PM.. Reason: clarification
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 06:38 PM   #4
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

I dont know about the Caymen but you really have to push hard on the Z4M Coupe to realize its brilliance.
      04-22-2008, 06:54 PM   #5
kungfufishing
Rep

Nice dobe. Great dogs.

Is the new M3 more fun to drive than the z4m? Perhaps this is an apples/oranges comparison, but if I had a chance to drive the M3 I wouldnt be asking these internet forums questions nor checking it like a maniac. Do you have to push the M3 hard or is it fun/fast around town as well as on the highway/track?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 06:55 PM   #6
jm1234
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Jet Black/Tan/SA 6MT

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I do like my current car, but not blindly - hence my desire to upgrade. Particularly in driving the Z4M and Cayman S, I was surprised that they were not light years better than my current vehicle in terms of the actual drive, because I expected to be blown away. C2s/C4s- 911 carreraS and 4S. Those two would certainly be my favorite 2 cars I've test driven, but they just want too much money. Even though I probably COULD afford it I think it would be ridiculous to do so. Is the M3 more like a 911 or more like, I dunno, a WRX type experience?
I haven't driven a WRX but I've been in them at car shows and the M3 is nothing like the WRX from a luxury standpoint.

Here is a review by a guy with a GT3 comparing the two cars. You should make sure he sees this thread.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 11:06 PM   #7
sayemthree
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Nice dobe. Great dogs.

Is the new M3 more fun to drive than the z4m? Perhaps this is an apples/oranges comparison, but if I had a chance to drive the M3 I wouldnt be asking these internet forums questions nor checking it like a maniac. Do you have to push the M3 hard or is it fun/fast around town as well as on the highway/track?
thanks - we call the Dobie breed the BMW of dogs!

sorry - my new M3 is on order, I havent driven one yet. but I dont need to. I owned a e46 M3 and e36 M3 before. my father in law has the Z4MCoupe. I have tracked both the Z4MCoupe and an early 350z (with the track package) and the Coupe is by far better in my opinion. in fact the owner ended up trading it for a e36 M3. not knocking the 350z , I think it and the G35 are great cars. I have no doubt the new M3 will surpass the fun of the MCoupe and you would not be disappointed. I have also driven the wrx and the m3 is far closer to Carrera experience than wrx. I have also driven the c6 Zo6 - its blinding fast for sure.

I also test drove the Carrera, Carrera 4S, and Caymen S (my freind works for the dealer ) they are nice cars but certainly cost more to buy and maintain, plus I am a BMW loyalist.
      04-22-2008, 11:51 PM   #8
kungfufishing
Rep

thank you for all the replies and patience regarding a subject that has, at least indirectly, been previously discussed on the forums. Tomorrow I really want to find a dealer where I can drive the M3 and Z4M back to back - the deals on the Z4M are so good I should at least drive it again, the money I saved could go to a nice used pickup for when it rains and snows. Ultimately just trying to find the best driver's car for my money, within the parameters that it be pretty, nice inside, and reliable.

sayemthree - there is just no dog quite like a doberman pinscher. Actually sitting here with mine half on my lap as we speak. Funny how public perception differs from the reality of having one in your family.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 02:45 PM   #9
sayemthree
Major General
Rep

Quote:
thank you for all the replies and patience regarding a subject that has, at least indirectly, been previously discussed on the forums. Tomorrow I really want to find a dealer where I can drive the M3 and Z4M back to back - the deals on the Z4M are so good I should at least drive it again, the money I saved could go to a nice used pickup for when it rains and snows. Ultimately just trying to find the best driver's car for my money, within the parameters that it be pretty, nice inside, and reliable.

sayemthree - there is just no dog quite like a doberman pinscher. Actually sitting here with mine half on my lap as we speak. Funny how public perception differs from the reality of having one in your family.
Hahah ! they make great lap dogs huh!
      04-25-2008, 10:41 AM   #10
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
Quote:

test drive a C63 and tell us what you think about it, since I havent found a dealer that would like be take it out for a spin yet
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 01:59 PM   #11
sayemthree
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ase2dais View Post
test drive a C63 and tell us what you think about it, since I havent found a dealer that would like be take it out for a spin yet

I would guess by his choices he is looking for a MT?
      04-25-2008, 04:21 PM   #12
kungfufishing
Rep

Manual transmissions are all I really know, never driven a DCT. I would at least try the mercedes out. I like how it looks and it is apparently stupid fast. That would require patience on my part, however.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 05:52 PM   #13
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
I dont know about the Caymen but you really have to push hard on the Z4M Coupe to realize its brilliance.
+1

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 02:22 AM   #14
malter2.0
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: em-funf