BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

02-19-2009, 11:05 PM   #23
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M PWR 00 View Post
I think this setup will gain maximum tq and some hp too... judging by what the other member with the H pipe claims (90wtq).

I honestly am just looking for a clean sounding setup that doesnt LOSE power so I am not expecting the world... I just want it to sound loud but clean. Xpipes are known to be raspy while H pipes deeper.
ROFL!!!

You're not gaining 90ft-lb of torque with an H pipe. That's the funniest thing I've heard all week.
      02-19-2009, 11:08 PM   #24
camaross305
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
ROFL!!!

You're not gaining 90ft-lb of torque with an H pipe. That's the funniest thing I've heard all week.
I dont think he means just from an H we are talking, exhaust, deletling the cats, filter, tune, pulley, and H pipe. The "typical" bolt ons but instead of an X and H..... where as an X pipe might gain 60-70tq from stock the H may be around 80-90

User name lmims526894rou

Or contact me at chrism9551@aol.com
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 12:24 AM   #25
///M PWR 00
Captain
Rep
Drives: Porsche

Quote:
ROFL!!!

I am not the one making the claims so stop being a douche bag before you get E-slapped.

If you re-read my posts I said I was skeptical about 90wtq and I would need to see a dyno graph before believing it. It really annoys me when morons come on here and make comments without reading the thread...
      02-20-2009, 01:07 AM   #26
Bluesummer
Lieutenant General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: slower than Ayrton Senna

Garage List
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2011 E82 135  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
2007 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaross305 View Post
Here is a a great example... all he has is an H pipe, exhaust, pulley and scoops

Look at the numbers with just that and not even a tune or filter!!

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...8&postcount=16

here is some more stock numbers to compare

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...k+dyno+numbers

seems h pipe is pretty promising
wow
________
ROLL BLUNTS

Last edited by Bluesummer; 09-07-2011 at 06:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 01:13 AM   #27
dogears
My master volume goes to 11
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Competition

Different dynos so no way to make any valid comment...... H pipe will make virtually no difference, IMO. Especially if X-pipe has flow between the sides at the X. Maybe a few HP if you are lucky.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 01:20 AM   #28
Manny212
Captain
United_States
Rep

I can vouch for Frankie aka ///Mpower...But back to the discussion.

I myself have not even heard about an Hpipe so it would be nice to see some evidence of this. I am going to do an xpipe after my exhaust and curious as to what an hpipe can do.

2008 E92///M3 - | Alpine White/Fox Red Extended Novillo | Technology | Premium | Cold |
Mods: | 19" Avante Garde | Macht Schnell Filter | RPi Scoops | Rogue SSK | MS Spacers | ACM Test Pipes | ESS Tune | Remus Race | LUX V4 Angels | KW V3 |
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 01:27 AM   #29
///M PWR 00
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny212 View Post
I can vouch for Frankie aka ///Mpower...But back to the discussion.

I myself have not even heard about an Hpipe so it would be nice to see some evidence of this. I am going to do an xpipe after my exhaust and curious as to what an hpipe can do.
Thanks Manny . lets go to the muffler shop tomorrow and have them weld in a H-pipe.... I bet it would sound crazy and probably wouldnt cost more then 200$ lol.
      02-20-2009, 01:31 AM   #30
camaross305
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Manny . lets go to the muffler shop tomorrow and have them weld in a H-pipe.... I bet it would sound crazy and probably wouldnt cost more then 200$ lol.
just make sure to have them delete the cats and replace them with some piping

User name lmims526894rou

Or contact me at chrism9551@aol.com
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 01:31 AM   #31
Manny212
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Definitely would not cost much and would probably be great. Gonna have to look into this

2008 E92///M3 - | Alpine White/Fox Red Extended Novillo | Technology | Premium | Cold |
Mods: | 19" Avante Garde | Macht Schnell Filter | RPi Scoops | Rogue SSK | MS Spacers | ACM Test Pipes | ESS Tune | Remus Race | LUX V4 Angels | KW V3 |
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 01:52 AM   #32
Bluesummer
Lieutenant General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: slower than Ayrton Senna

Garage List
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2011 E82 135  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
2007 335  [0.00]
Quote:
it shouldnt exceed $200. Dooo IT!
________
WIKI VAPORIZER

Last edited by Bluesummer; 09-07-2011 at 06:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 02:25 AM   #33
The Shiekh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

everyone stop saying 90wtq...

2008 E92 M3 6MT SSII/Silver Novillo/Sycamore
BPU+ lol
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 03:11 AM   #34
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

Quote:
You are nuts if you think you're gaining 60-70ft-lb of peak torque on a 4.0L NA motor with those mods. That's a gain you'd see more like on a 335i going from stock to raised boost, etc. Even under the curve it would be really unlikely to see that kind of a torque gain on a small, high revving motor. For low end torque those would be more like gains you'd see on a Z06.
+1 - the only way you're going to get over 400lbft torque out of this engine without FI or displacement increase is changing cams that sacrifice top end power for torque...even then it would be a struggle and probably would only last for a few hundred RPM...

The dyno example is from two different dynos so can't compare those results whatsoever...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 01:23 PM   #35
gixxer_kidd
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Garage List
2008 m3  [10.00]
Frankie, I've been thinking about doing an x-pipe but if you and Manny get this working, put me down for one of those ///M PWR h-pipes
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 03:55 PM   #36
dogears
Rep

The AA X-Pipe is open on the inside where the two sides meet. Therefore, it serves the exact same function as an H Pipe. The same thing...... If there is any difference at all, it is minimal.

I confirmed the X-Pipe design spec with AA just now.

The only potential differences would be price and quality. Not endorsing either as my M3 is arriving next week from the port and it is still a virgin.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 05:26 PM   #37
///M PWR 00
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogears View Post
The AA X-Pipe is open on the inside where the two sides meet. Therefore, it serves the exact same function as an H Pipe. The same thing...... If there is any difference at all, it is minimal.

I confirmed the X-Pipe design spec with AA just now.

The only potential differences would be price and quality. Not endorsing either as my M3 is arriving next week from the port and it is still a virgin.
Thats great to know... thanks for checking with AA I was thinking of doing the same thing..... Im not calling AA liars but... X pipe and H pipe are not the same... Its not any different on a M3.. Im gonna try the H pipe.. worst case scenerio I wasted 200 bucks oh well... I actually think its gonna sound great and make a little power too. Like I said my main concern is a awesome sound right now
      02-20-2009, 05:29 PM   #38
///M PWR 00
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer_kidd View Post
Frankie, I've been thinking about doing an x-pipe but if you and Manny get this working, put me down for one of those ///M PWR h-pipes

If it works out Im sure I can get the shop to fabricate these pipes for those who would be interested..... I bet the price would be a fraction compared to the competition...

IF ANYONE WANTS TO SELL STOCK MIDPIPES PLEASE PM ME!!!!

you would be doing the M3 community a huge favor as I would use the pipe to test out the different setups and save us all a bunch of money!!!!
      02-20-2009, 05:39 PM   #39
dogears
Rep

Found on the web. Both designs do the same thing with minor difference.

X Vs. H Pipes
Now lets discuss the two main designs for mid pipes, H and X type. An H pipe gets its name because there is a piece of pipe that connects each side of the pipe that connects to the header collectors (hence the name H pipe). This pipe is supposed to help equalize the pressure and thereby create a better scavenging effect. An X pipe however, has each side of the pipe meet in an X type junction. Again the idea is to equalize pressure and create better scavenging.
As a general rule, H pipes allow for more low-end torque and slightly less Horse Power than X pipes do. Also, the sound note is quite different. The X pipe has a raspy sound while the H pipe is more muscle car sounding. As mentioned, the mid-pipe choice seems to be a personal sound preference and most people who use chambered mufflers opt for the H pipe, while the straight through users tend to choose the X pipe. Typically, the X
pipe/straight through muffler combination yields higher HP and lower torque than the H pipe/chambered muffler design.

Keep in mind that the AA design is not an X Pipe that is as open as this article refers . It is more like the H I believe. For me, a true X would really have the pipes be open at the "X" intersection. This explains the higher HP/lower TQ comment. By varying the X opening, I bet the X could replicate the H.

Quote:
Thats great to know... thanks for checking with AA I was thinking of doing the same thing..... Im not calling AA liars but... X pipe and H pipe are not the same... Its not any different on a M3.. Im gonna try the H pipe.. worst case scenerio I wasted 200 bucks oh well... I actually think its gonna sound great and make a little power too. Like I said my main concern is a awesome sound right now
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 05:42 PM   #40
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

I might try this as well. Im installing my pulleys tom and my guys main thing is this. He actually loves making his own shit. He wanted to make a custom x pipe for me deleting sec cats and resonators, but I kept stalling since I thought the sound would be too loud. I think del the sec cats but keeping the res is the way to go, along with this h pipe instead of x. I might give it a try. do you guys suggest using 3" piping or 2.5?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 05:42 PM   #41
Blip Bavarian
salivator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 GT4, 14 X5 V8 & 91 E30 LS1

Quote:
If it works out Im sure I can get the shop to fabricate these pipes for those who would be interested..... I bet the price would be a fraction compared to the competition...

you would be doing the M3 community a huge favor as I would use the pipe to test out the different setups and save us all a bunch of money!!!!
dont quit your day job just yet. we need dynos...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 06:50 PM   #42
///M PWR 00
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthirtyfizle View Post
I might try this as well. Im installing my pulleys tom and my guys main thing is this. He actually loves making his own shit. He wanted to make a custom x pipe for me deleting sec cats and resonators, but I kept stalling since I thought the sound would be too loud. I think del the sec cats but keeping the res is the way to go, along with this h pipe instead of x. I might give it a try. do you guys suggest using 3" piping or 2.5?
He would know better for 2.5 or 3" - I personally dont know which would be a better setup but please let me know what you end up doing. What shop are you talking about btw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blip Bavarian View Post
dont quit your day job just yet. we need dynos...
Dont hold your breath if your waiting for 90wtq.. But I think a nice clean sound and some extra power is def possible. Fabbing up the stock pipes shouldnt cost more then 200$ at the most.
      02-20-2009, 07:04 PM   #43
Cab5er
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3 (Sold) 13 A1

Quote:

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO it!

E90 ///M3/ AW/ Fox Red
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 07:11 PM   #44
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Quote:
He would know better for 2.5 or 3" - I personally dont know which would be a better setup but please let me know what you end up doing. What shop are you talking about btw?

Dont hold your breath if your waiting for 90wtq.. But I think a nice clean sound and some extra power is def possible. Fabbing up the stock pipes shouldnt cost more then 200$ at the most.
The shop I go to is revolution. Its in queens. Been around for a while but not known for doing this type of work since its always been more of a radio/electronics installation place. But for a while now they moved into a new shop which has 2 lifts and the mechanic that works there is sick. Young dood. All he does is build cars. The work he does is incredible, all custom. Which is why he will be doing all my work. So far he installed my springs and now pulleys. He also removed the clutch spring for me in like 21 seconds lol.
Appreciate 0