BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

10-21-2014, 10:18 PM   #1
Girl Stig
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 AW

Brake lamp malfunction?

So it’s been a couple days and I keep getting a left brake lamp malfunction warning that will pop up but then turn off randomly. I had someone sit in the car and pump the brakes but the light is fine. Does this mean the bulb is going out or is it loose? I’ll take it apart this weekend but was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Should I just say screw it and upgrade to LCI ha..

2008 E92 M3 Coupe | DCT | AW | Black Novillo | Carbon Leather
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 12:25 PM   #2
UroGator
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 MR E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl Stig
So its been a couple days and I keep getting a left brake lamp malfunction warning that will pop up but then turn off randomly. I had someone sit in the car and pump the brakes but the light is fine. Does this mean the bulb is going out or is it loose? Ill take it apart this weekend but was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Should I just say screw it and upgrade to LCI ha..
It's the connection to one of the bulbs. Takes each bulb out and look for the one with corrosion on the metal prongs and replace that bulb with a new one.

There is some TSB that supposedly replaced the whole housing, but I never needed to so that. Just find the loose bulb. You can take some pliers and crimp down on the metal prongs in the housing holding the bulb. I think the problem is a loose connection that causes the corrosion to develop on the bulb prongs.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 04:04 PM   #3
quicktwinturbo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Limited Ed Toyota Camry

Off topic but light bulbs are covered under warranty ( CPO / maintenance)? I had similar issue early this year and when I took my car in for service, they told me it was the bulb and they charged me $50ish...
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 04:06 PM   #4
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

Lci Upgrade
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 04:56 PM   #5
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicktwinturbo View Post
Off topic but light bulbs are covered under warranty ( CPO / maintenance)? I had similar issue early this year and when I took my car in for service, they told me it was the bulb and they charged me $50ish...
They are under the factory 4 years/40k mile warranty/maintenance plan but not sure under CPO. CPO has a deductible as I recall so that was likely the $50 you were charged.

Edit: Just found this on the BMW website, showing what is NOT covered under CPO. Bulbs are not covered...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW_CPO_what_is_not_covered_March2014.pdf (48.1 KB, 142 views)
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 04:57 PM   #6
quicktwinturbo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Limited Ed Toyota Camry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
They are under the factory 4 years/40k mile warranty/maintenance plan but not sure under CPO. CPO has a deductible as I recall so that was likely the $50 you were charged.
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 10:41 PM   #7
Girl Stig
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by UroGator View Post
It's the connection to one of the bulbs. Takes each bulb out and look for the one with corrosion on the metal prongs and replace that bulb with a new one.

There is some TSB that supposedly replaced the whole housing, but I never needed to so that. Just find the loose bulb. You can take some pliers and crimp down on the metal prongs in the housing holding the bulb. I think the problem is a loose connection that causes the corrosion to develop on the bulb prongs.
Thank you, I will definitely try that. Bulb should be around $20 the most I'm thinking..

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicktwinturbo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post

Edit: Just found this on the BMW website, showing what is NOT covered under CPO. Bulbs are not covered...
Yea my deductible is $50 also if I take it to the dealer but figured replacing the bulb would be cheaper rather than taking it down. Thank you for researching and reassuring me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex@Autocouture View Post
Lci Upgrade
Haha changing a bulb, replacing the taillights.. same thing might as well right

2008 E92 M3 Coupe | DCT | AW | Black Novillo | Carbon Leather
Appreciate 0