BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-15-2014, 11:24 PM   #1
REDBULL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG M3/Fox Red

WaterWetter or Motul Mocool?

It is getting hot quickly here, and I was going to flush out coolant and go ahead with water wetter, but someone mentioned Motul's version. I think most guys here are running water wetter, but just wanted to get some recommendations (doesn't seem like there is much of a difference)? I am looking to mix with water not with coolant, as from what I have read mixing with coolant doesn't do much. Any cons? (other than freezing, will go back to coolant before temps drop)

12 E92 M3 SG/Fox Red - ESS VT2-650 | Mode Carbon | KW Clubsports | IPE | Challenge Race X pipe
10 E92 M3 MR/Black - rod bearing failure
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 09:25 AM   #2
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG-E92 ESS-650 BPM Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDBULL View Post
It is getting hot quickly here, and I was going to flush out coolant and go ahead with water wetter, but someone mentioned Motul's version. I think most guys here are running water wetter, but just wanted to get some recommendations (doesn't seem like there is much of a difference)? I am looking to mix with water not with coolant, as from what I have read mixing with coolant doesn't do much. Any cons? (other than freezing, will go back to coolant before temps drop)
Water wetter works great. It needs to be changed often so if you are dumping out once a year you should have no issues. Just make sure you run some sort of lubricant because pure distilled water is very hard on the water pump seals.
We have tested many different products at work and none are so much better as to say you must use brand X.
      05-16-2014, 12:38 PM   #3
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Have you ever run Evans coolant?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 12:48 PM   #4
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Have you ever run Evans coolant?
Not positive it is the same stuff but we used some Cesium Formate for a while and that stuff seems to be based off of it. It does not boil till 350ish and is non-toxic . The down fall is that it is expensive and weighs twice as much as water. You should see some new guy try to carry a 5 gallon pail of that stuff.
      05-16-2014, 04:49 PM   #5
MisterEm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: slow turd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki00 View Post
We have tested many different products at work and none are so much better as to say you must use brand X.
Thanks for sharing Kawasaki00! I will stick to the WaterWetter. Your technical experience is very much appreciated from this lurker.

p.s. My old S54 is running happily along on 5w40 FULL SAPS Amsoil, thanks to your nudge of encouragement over PM. Thanks again. Virgin sample showed a TBN well into the 11's (not the claimed 10.1 by the way).
      05-16-2014, 05:28 PM   #6
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Water wetter works great. It needs to be changed often so if you are dumping out once a year you should have no issues. Just make sure you run some sort of lubricant because pure distilled water is very hard on the water pump seals.
I have never heard of a cooling system/water pump seal lubricant being sold separately. Any you would recommend for running distilled water w/Redline Water Wetter? Or is the Water Wetter itself sufficient to lubricate the seals?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 10:22 PM   #7
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemdog View Post
I have never heard of a cooling system/water pump seal lubricant being sold separately. Any you would recommend for running distilled water w/Redline Water Wetter? Or is the Water Wetter itself sufficient to lubricate the seals?
The water wetter is sufficient, another benefit of anti-freeze is that it lubricates the cooling system. That is a detail that is often over looked when running just water. Engine Ice is another brand that will work well.
You must run distilled water though, the aluminum will start to oxidize very quickly if regular tap water is used.
      05-16-2014, 10:25 PM   #8
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEm View Post
Thanks for sharing Kawasaki00! I will stick to the WaterWetter. Your technical experience is very much appreciated from this lurker.

p.s. My old S54 is running happily along on 5w40 FULL SAPS Amsoil, thanks to your nudge of encouragement over PM. Thanks again. Virgin sample showed a TBN well into the 11's (not the claimed 10.1 by the way).
Thanks buddie, glad everything is working out for you.
      05-16-2014, 11:21 PM   #9
REDBULL
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The water wetter is sufficient, another benefit of anti-freeze is that it lubricates the cooling system. That is a detail that is often over looked when running just water. Engine Ice is another brand that will work well.
You must run distilled water though, the aluminum will start to oxidize very quickly if regular tap water is used.
Thanks for the info! any risk of oxidation with water wetter/water mix? that is what i am afraid of

12 E92 M3 SG/Fox Red - ESS VT2-650 | Mode Carbon | KW Clubsports | IPE | Challenge Race X pipe
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 08:49 AM   #10
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

I run BMW coolant, the blue stuff and distilled water. 50/50 mix .
Works great for me !
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 10:48 AM   #11
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Frankly, I see no need for coolant additives unless you are having big problems with overheating. A lower coolant temperature is not necessarily better -- the car was designed to operate at a certain temperature, hence the inclusion of a thermostat.

OP, is your car overheating or something? Is the stock cooling system inadequate?
      05-18-2014, 01:24 PM   #12
REDBULL
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Frankly, I see no need for coolant additives unless you are having big problems with overheating. A lower coolant temperature is not necessarily better -- the car was designed to operate at a certain temperature, hence the inclusion of a thermostat.

OP, is your car overheating or something? Is the stock cooling system inadequate?
i have an ESS 650 kit. it is not overheating and it is cooling fine but under more "spirited" driving in these temperatures, there are better options out there for cooling.

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 12:05 PM   #13
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDBULL View Post
i have an ESS 650 kit. it is not overheating and it is cooling fine but under more "spirited" driving in these temperatures, there are better options out there for cooling.

Have you looked at a larger radiator or auxiliary radiator? I really don't like those coolant additives since they seem like more of a band-aid to a larger problem. Just my two cents.
      05-19-2014, 12:29 PM   #14
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Have you looked at a larger radiator or auxiliary radiator? I really don't like those coolant additives since they seem like more of a band-aid to a larger problem. Just my two cents.
I agree that if you are using antifreeze there is no point of using it. It will not fix a cooling problem, but if tracking and using water only it is a benefit over just straight water.