BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

10-12-2011, 06:10 PM   #1
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

I have read a lot about the popular spring replacement setups that people use, typically using a shorter bumpstop and shaved strut mounts to provide the strut with more travel.

However, my question is wouldnt the strut get damaged, or not be used correctly, if forced to extend or compress further than stock as it would have to with a shorter bumpstop and shaved strut mounts?

I have a hard time understanding why it wouldnt be at the very least somehow different from how it would perform stock since the range of motion is extended...?

Also, how does the amount of shock travel not get comprimised in the rear?

Thanks for any insight into this.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 01:39 AM   #2
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
I have read a lot about the popular spring replacement setups that people use, typically using a shorter bumpstop and shaved strut mounts to provide the strut with more travel.

However, my question is wouldnt the strut get damaged, or not be used correctly, if forced to extend or compress further than stock as it would have to with a shorter bumpstop and shaved strut mounts?

I have a hard time understanding why it wouldnt be at the very least somehow different from how it would perform stock since the range of motion is extended...?

Also, how does the amount of shock travel not get comprimised in the rear?

Thanks for any insight into this.

There is a little bit of safety margin built into the suspension, by cutting down on the front and rear bump stops(it's a band aid solution) you are still okay, just have less of a safety margin before strut of shock damage is all.

What really needs to happen is the use of short body struts and shocks when lowering your car to get some of the compression travel back.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 02:35 PM   #3
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
There is a little bit of safety margin built into the suspension, by cutting down on the front and rear bump stops(it's a band aid solution) you are still okay, just have less of a safety margin before strut of shock damage is all.

What really needs to happen is the use of short body struts and shocks when lowering your car to get some of the compression travel back.
exactly my thoughts, glad to have them confirmed by someone who has much more experience than I do.

I feel the same way, like almost all of these options are sort of "half assed".

The question that I have is of the coilover level suspensions, which ones have shortened shock/strut bodies and what is the ideal level of lowering to maximize the travel allowed?
      11-01-2011, 07:42 PM   #4
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
exactly my thoughts, glad to have them confirmed by someone who has much more experience than I do.

I feel the same way, like almost all of these options are sort of "half assed".

The question that I have is of the coilover level suspensions, which ones have shortened shock/strut bodies and what is the ideal level of lowering to maximize the travel allowed?
Lower is better is not the case with these late model BMW's since the compression travel is already very limited from the factory. When we setup these cars, we generally keep the max lowering at about 1" to retain as much compression travel as possible. Any of the coil over systems currently available out there should do a good job of damping and keep the suspension off of the bump stops. It's actually okay to ride on the bump stops provided they are the good progressive type and allow the rate to increase progressively so there is no sudden spike in rate and traction taken away.
Appreciate 0