BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

06-08-2013, 08:52 PM   #67
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

What really gets me is that the Nurburgring is plastered all over the initial press kit, it's in the manual, there's now a tracking App for the iPhone, prior gens engines are based on "F-1 Concepts" and all the performance parts descriptions are peppered with motorsports references. Basically giving the impression that it is okay to track this car...and then you have a disclaimer and run into extremely heavy resistance at the dealers for any type of claim. Think it's a terrible marketing strategy and really non-defensible. Ford's approach is 100% correct.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 09:42 PM   #68
Nordstat
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S

No disrespect, but why post to an M3 thread about how much better a Mustang is and then complain about not getting congratulations from people you don't know?

Just sayin...
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 10:56 PM   #69
mlambert890
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 DCT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
What really gets me is that the Nurburgring is plastered all over the initial press kit, it's in the manual, there's now a tracking App for the iPhone, prior gens engines are based on "F-1 Concepts" and all the performance parts descriptions are peppered with motorsports references. Basically giving the impression that it is okay to track this car...and then you have a disclaimer and run into extremely heavy resistance at the dealers for any type of claim. Think it's a terrible marketing strategy and really non-defensible. Ford's approach is 100% correct.
Nissan has GTRs pretty much *permanently stationed* at the ring and it often seems like they only make the damn thing to *lap the ring* and yet you get even worse shit from Nissan if *you* dare to track it (I owned a GTR for a year and was *very* careful b/c of this).

And their obsession with the 'Ring is about what? Catching Porsche. Porsche who has a zillion year heritage of building the ultimate sports cars and yet... They also have a minefield of a track policy (Ive owned two 911s over the years and have been *very* careful b/c of this).

It's hardly a unique proposition. People like to know that the car they're buying is "motorsports derived", but 99% of them arent ever going anywhere *near* a racetrack.

I do think the manufacturers should offer an upcharge for "track coverage" or something though. A box you can check, pay more, and then have everything covered. That would be a lot more fair/honest IMO.

Last edited by mlambert890; 06-08-2013 at 11:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #70
mlambert890
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 DCT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordstat View Post
No disrespect, but why post to an M3 thread about how much better a Mustang is and then complain about not getting congratulations from people you don't know?

Just sayin...
Its the M3 forum! Nowhere does the E9x M get *less* respect than the M3 forum! (well ok, besides the CTS-V and AMG forums)

Half the time when someone comes to "Vs..." and posts something like this (meaning "sold M3 to buy XYZ"), 90% of the posts are super supportive and often even go so far as to crap all over the /// like it was a shitbox. Not even *balanced* really, pure "this thing dominates ///" type commentary.

Then a few people will go over the top and crap on the "visiting" car (admittedly usually in a ridiculous way) and the OP and supporters will *laser* focus on those posts and make it sound like every BMW owner on earth mobilized to "disrespect" car XYZ.

Thats how it tends to go here, from my casual observation.

Psychologically I find it *real* weird. When I sell off a car (happens a LOT) I vanish from the forum or post neutral type crap. I have no need for the crew Im *leaving behind* (who are presumably fans of the car I sold) to be in love with and validate my *new* purchase and join me in bitching about whatever it is that made me sell (because theres usually *some* reason beyond boredom - I even sold a GTR *GASP!!!* )

To the OP. Congrats on the Boss! It's badass. One of the best modern Mustangs and, IMO, more desirable than the GT500. The response here has been pretty damn good IMO, in case you think it hasnt been.

Last edited by mlambert890; 06-08-2013 at 11:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 11:19 PM   #71
Endless619
DHS
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2m View Post
Congrats on the new car, it reminds me of the fugly girl that is such a great F*#k that her looks don't really matter so much...
Priceless!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 01:48 AM   #72
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
Anecdotally, one of my sons runs a Boss LS on track quite a lot, and last summer he began to run into heat problems (he's down in Fort Worth, Texas). The car never quite overheated with any resulting problems, but was getting dangerously close when running at up to about 108 degrees ambient.

After a careful checkout at the dealer (problem not possible to duplicate on the street), Ford sent out a radiator that they use in their race Mustangs, no charge of course.

He'll see this summer if the problem is completely cured (so far so good), but that's a hell of good attitude from Ford, in my opinion.

Having said all that, it seems the 1LE Camaro may be a better track bet than either the Boss or the Bimmer. Slower than either in a straight line, but quicker than either on track - and short money, too. Other than the gun slit windows, what's not to like?

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 02:47 AM   #73
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red

Enjoy sir. I had one, great car.

Trying to catch my boss lap times in my M3.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #74
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

From a former boss owner, enjoy it! Had I had the monies it would still in my collection!

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #75
M3Denver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Congrats, greater performer. wish they would give mustang a sportier shape/look if they did i would buy it.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 04:14 PM   #76
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Denver View Post
Congrats, greater performer. wish they would give mustang a sportier shape/look if they did i would buy it.
Next gen Mustang looks to be a winner. Plus, no more live rear axle suspension
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 08:50 PM   #77
i001947
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by R A W L S View Post
All, I just sold my second e90 M3 and bought a 2012 Mustang Boss Laguna Seca. I was tracking my M3 and was so sick and tired of pussy footing around the dealers to protect my warranty. With the Boss the dealer does track prep work on the car and pats me on the back on the way out and says they can't wait to here about my tracking, and if anything goes wrong they'll be there for me. Yes! I feel so f'ing liberated! Even if it Is a Ford. The Boss cost 40% less than the M3 and it is BETTER and more FUN on the track then the M3. It's not as good of a daily driver, but I am lucky to have another car for daily use. For now, Ford has got my number. But I will be watching the next gen M3/4 and M2 closely. Hopefully they make another great, and trackable car with a softer warranty program. I doubt it, but I hope so. Best.
I guess we can't have everything we want, eh? Life sucks!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 10:20 PM   #78
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

The boss 302 LS/ non LS are great cars! If track and performance were my biggest goals, then i would stay far and far away from M3. They are not the best for the money, and very costly to mod.

I got a M3 because i don't see the track often at all. the luxury side of the M3 was very big for me. I also love the looks and performance of the M3 very classy and sporty. I think mustangs look very cheap inside and out.

but again its a good car for the price!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 10:33 PM   #79
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
Having said all that, it seems the 1LE Camaro may be a better track bet than either the Boss or the Bimmer. Slower than either in a straight line, but quicker than either on track - and short money, too. Other than the gun slit windows, what's not to like?
To me personally, those gun slit windows and the feel they impart on the interior completely rule out the Camaro. I just cannot stand the way it makes you feel like a 10 year old stealing your daddy's car.

Mustangs I like, and I like the way they drive. But I think if I wanted a tack toy I'd just spend $10-15k on a nice used RWD platform, and put another $5-10k in modifications, then just go have a blast without worrying about warranties, insurance or dented sheet metal.

Last time I went to Shenandoah, there was this guy in a superbly prepared single turbo 240SX, running some 400WHP and with handling extremely well sorted out. It basically ran circles around me and I could only watch in awe the things he was doing with it. (better driver too).

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 12:47 AM   #80
Onurleft
Captain
Rep
Drives: RPM

What's not to like?

Buying tires and brakes for the 1LE. I realize this might not be a big deal for the occasional track guy but if you are doing an event a month thats a lot of $$ for those big square 285's or wider tires and lots of pad you'll eat up with that 4100lb+ race weight. That's like using an E39 M5 as your track car, except with bigger brakes, more tire, more speed to slow down and oh yeah, terrible visibility
      06-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #81
squartus
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 6MT

Garage List
2010 E92 BMW M3  [10.00]
Hope you don't run into to many issues with trying to get things fixed, ford has terrible rep for screwing people when it comes to repairs/warranty.

Few of my buddies totally got thrown under the bus with their mustangs so its not just forums. All that aside the boss is a sweet track car, congrats!

4.4L LC stroker/ESS VT2-625/Volk te37 sl's/AA exhaust/DSS Carbon Fiber driveshaft/ARH Headers.. etc
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #82
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onurleft View Post
What's not to like?

Buying tires and brakes for the 1LE. I realize this might not be a big deal for the occasional track guy but if you are doing an event a month thats a lot of $$ for those big square 285's or wider tires and lots of pad you'll eat up with that 4100lb+ race weight. That's like using an E39 M5 as your track car, except with bigger brakes, more tire, more speed to slow down and oh yeah, terrible visibility
Visibility not an issue unless you're at Daytona or somesuch.

You're right about the weight tending to eat tires and brakes, but as long as you go with dedicated track wheels, tires (DOT legal track sneakers), pads and rotors, you should be OK. Tires and brakes used to last me seven or eight track days, and as you know, Dot legal track sneakers are cheaper than extreme performance street rubber, and race pads aren't much. Even with aggressive pads, rotors are generally good for a couple of seasons or more.

Yeah, it ain't cheap, but it'll almost certainly be cheaper than outfitting an M3 the same "proper" way - at least initially.

I did this dedicated trackware thing for twelve seasons in a variety of cars, and it saved me cash over each of those seasons.

Bruce

Last edited by bruce.augenstein@comcast.; 06-11-2013 at 12:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 10:45 PM   #83
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Congrats on the new car. It's compelling to me as a big fan and owner of an M3. I oogle these cars extensively when I catch one in a parking lot somewhere.

However, on the warranty side:
  1. Never tell any shop you drive on the track. Keep it simple.
  2. Both cars are officially encourgaed to be used in NON-COMPETITIVE/NON-TIMED track events and warranty should not be a problem in either case. Again dealers vary a lot on this so refer back to point 1.
  3. Legally, on paper, which is what ultimately matters, there is no substantial difference in the warranties between the two cars. I think you have more of perceived/practical advantage.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 11:23 PM   #84
Giggs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by R A W L S View Post
To the warranty, I asked every dealer in the area a bunch of "what if's." They just said they didn't care where it happened, on or off the track, as long as it wasn't an accident, they were going to honor the warranty.
Not to spoil your excitement, however what they "say" and what they "do" may be totally different things. If its not in writing, I wouldn't trust a damn thing they say. That goes for any warranty on any car.
Appreciate 0