BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

01-21-2010, 11:36 AM   #1
warrior3313
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Searching

New M3 and warranty questions.

Hey. This is my first post on here. I just got a 09 M3 coupe and the first mod I want to do is an AA exhaust. Will this void my 4 year 50,000 mile warranty? I know the obvious like tuning it will more likely do that but I wasn't sure about the exhaust.

Also if I went with the AA exhaust system with the tune is that somethig that BMW can tell has been done. Can they detect that AA tune for the exhaust because that would void the powertrain warranty. I have also heard it depends on the dealer you go to. I live in Wilton CT so I'd Nyome has any experience or recommendations for this area or in general I would greatly apprecite it.

Thank you

Will
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 12:06 PM   #2
CATCH_M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Just Axle-back exhaust or the X-PIPE/HFC & axle-back setup?
If youre just changing the muffler it won't really affect your warranty at all (paraphrased from my SA). At most, it will void the warranty on your stock muffler unit, but all it does is muffle sound so you don't have much to worry about. If you start modifying resonator forward however, ie. changing emission equipment you may run into some warranty issues (ie. X-pipe w/ high flow cats.)

A tune if detected will most probably void powertrain warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 12:55 PM   #3
MN M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

+1

If you JUST replace the axle-back exhaust, no problems. That's never caused a warranty issue that I've ever heard of. If you start replacing pipes and deleting cats, etc., that WILL void the warranty - by definition, that's not a certified exhaust (they all say they are "off road use only"). ANY tune will void the warranty, no matter how "mild." There is no such thing as a tune that cannot be detected, regardless of whatever a tuning company tells you.

Could a service advisor look the other way and let it slide. I suppose, but if something happens, and BMW finds out he looked the other way, he's gone. Few will take that chance just to let you steal warranty repairs from BMW. The owner's manual is quite clear - mod = voidance of warranty.
2009 E92 M3 - Jerez Black/Black w/ black carbon leather interior, 6 spd., Cold, Premium, Technology, 19" OZ Racing wheels (black), iPod/USB. Mods: aPe air filter, Borla exhaust, H&R sport springs, UUC Evo3 SS w/ DSSR, Power Pulley Kit, carbon kidney grills, Vorsteiner front air dam, carbon side gills, smoked side markers
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
warrior3313
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATCH_M3 View Post
Just Axle-back exhaust or the X-PIPE/HFC & axle-back setup?
If youre just changing the muffler it won't really affect your warranty at all (paraphrased from my SA). At most, it will void the warranty on your stock muffler unit, but all it does is muffle sound so you don't have much to worry about. If you start modifying resonator forward however, ie. changing emission equipment you may run into some warranty issues (ie. X-pipe w/ high flow cats.)

A tune if detected will most probably void powertrain warranty.
Yea i was thinking of going with the AA Exhaust. I was contemplation the x pipe as well but im not sure i will drop that much on it right away the AA x pipe is pricey and i heard that the AA exhaust as is is a very sufficient exhaust. I heard though to get the most of the AA exhaust you need to do the tune to it so Thats why i was asking. i wasn't sure what most people do because i don't think its a plug and play tune into the ECU from my knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 01:37 PM   #5
Sandye90m3
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

So let me get this straight. Changing the muffler part at the rear part of the car will not avoid the warranty, however if you change the pipe connecting the engine to the exhaust, that will void your warranty?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 02:13 PM   #6
CATCH_M3
Lieutenant
Rep

Are you getting the exhaust predominantly for sound or for HP gain? Will the extra 20-25hp from the tune be worth the voided warranty for you? If I really wanted that 20HP I would probably go with a high flow air filter & Power-Pulley system rather than the tune. (also available from AA). And it's cheaper too.

.. and yes changing the mufflers is ok in regards to warranty. changing the headers or emissions equipment is not.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 04:14 PM   #7
MN M3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandye90m3 View Post
So let me get this straight. Changing the muffler part at the rear part of the car will not avoid the warranty, however if you change the pipe connecting the engine to the exhaust, that will void your warranty?
Correct - you are installing non-EPA compliant emissions equipment that is not certified for road use. It will void your warranty.
2009 E92 M3 - Jerez Black/Black w/ black carbon leather interior, 6 spd., Cold, Premium, Technology, 19" OZ Racing wheels (black), iPod/USB. Mods: aPe air filter, Borla exhaust, H&R sport springs, UUC Evo3 SS w/ DSSR, Power Pulley Kit, carbon kidney grills, Vorsteiner front air dam, carbon side gills, smoked side markers
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 04:15 PM   #8
MN M3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Are you getting the exhaust predominantly for sound or for HP gain? Will the extra 20-25hp from the tune be worth the voided warranty for you? If I really wanted that 20HP I would probably go with a high flow air filter & Power-Pulley system rather than the tune. (also available from AA). And it's cheaper too.

.. and yes changing the mufflers is ok in regards to warranty. changing the headers or emissions equipment is not.
Except, the power pulley will void the warranty as well (unless you change the pulley back to stock once the car breaks, which is, let's face it, fraud). The air filter won't. The tune certainly will.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 04:30 PM   #9
CATCH_M3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN M3 View Post
Except, the power pulley will void the warranty as well (unless you change the pulley back to stock once the car breaks, which is, let's face it, fraud). The air filter won't. The tune certainly will.
Agreed, I was just saying if he really wanted to make the extra 20HP though, the pulley is probably both more economical and less risky of the 2. (ECU vs. Pulley)
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 04:56 PM   #10
buddster
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Gran Coupe

What about a Dinan pulley. Will that maintain the warranty?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 04:57 PM   #11
CATCH_M3
Lieutenant
Rep

Dinan replaces the BMW warranty with their own warranty; so.. sort of, haha.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 06:59 PM   #12
1badtantrum
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I asked BMW SA locally about the cat back exhaust. He said it would not affect the warranty. They even swapped the exhaust for me. He said I could do it myself if I wanted to but the car was in for oil change anyway so I had them put on the first set of Gintani. No problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 04:01 PM   #13
warrior3313
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dinan replaces the BMW warranty with their own warranty; so.. sort of, haha.
Well my list of upgrades i plan to do so far are as follows:

AA Exhaust
AA or Dinan Pully kit. (is there a difference)
Dinan High Flow Intake 2008-09 M3

and what i want to know is would the Dinan Performance Engine Software tune work with the AA exhaust so that way its still covered under the warranty.
http://www.dinancars.com/store/produ...cat=818&page=1

I feel that that would be the best way to upgrade the M3 and stay with in all of the warranty restrictions but i want to make sure the Dinan software will transfer over to the AA exhaust and compliment each other if you know what im trying to say.

So again any insight and input will be greatly appreciated.

-Will
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 03:53 PM   #14
Angry3
All your 1 are belong to us!!!
Rep
Drives: '08 135i 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior3313 View Post
Well my list of upgrades i plan to do so far are as follows:

AA Exhaust
AA or Dinan Pully kit. (is there a difference)
Dinan High Flow Intake 2008-09 M3

and what i want to know is would the Dinan Performance Engine Software tune work with the AA exhaust so that way its still covered under the warranty.
http://www.dinancars.com/store/produ...cat=818&page=1

I feel that that would be the best way to upgrade the M3 and stay with in all of the warranty restrictions but i want to make sure the Dinan software will transfer over to the AA exhaust and compliment each other if you know what im trying to say.

So again any insight and input will be greatly appreciated.

-Will
The Dinan software is pricey, and the warranty is IMHO of questionable value. I wouldn't do it unless my local dealer sold and installed the tune, otherwise you run some risk of getting in the middle of a finger pointing dispute if there's a problem down the road.

The M3 is a fantastic car is most every regard, but it's not the best platform for modding in terms of cost/benefit of what's available for it. Mod away if you want, just temper your expectations and have a good understanding of the risks.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 04:17 PM   #15
CATCH_M3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry3 View Post
The Dinan software is pricey, and the warranty is IMHO of questionable value. I wouldn't do it unless my local dealer sold and installed the tune, otherwise you run some risk of getting in the middle of a finger pointing dispute if there's a problem down the road.

The M3 is a fantastic car is most every regard, but it's not the best platform for modding in terms of cost/benefit of what's available for it. Mod away if you want, just temper your expectations and have a good understanding of the risks.
+1 Get your dinan stuff at your local dealer and get it installed there. Hopefully you have a dealer that is affiliated with Dinan.

I feel like Dinan has reasonable prices for the M3 though; their gains are a bit more conservative but then they have to be to offer the warranty that they do, and maintain their relationship withe BMW.

Their pulley is $440, software $800, intake $900. Which is in line with similar companies for pulleys (AA, Rogue, etc.), software with GIAC is around $800 and around $1000 for AA. AFE intake is around $900 as well. Well worth it to maintain a working warranty if its installed at the dealer imho

Just make sure not to get the Midpipe if you value your emissions warranty. (Even from Dinan). They say its part of their 'race series' and such, their race series items will not extend regular warranty coverage as its meant for offroad use . Axleback AA exhaust won't void your warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 07:15 PM   #16
warrior3313
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
+1 Get your dinan stuff at your local dealer and get it installed there. Hopefully you have a dealer that is affiliated with Dinan.

I feel like Dinan has reasonable prices for the M3 though; their gains are a bit more conservative but then they have to be to offer the warranty that they do, and maintain their relationship withe BMW.

Their pulley is $440, software $800, intake $900. Which is in line with similar companies for pulleys (AA, Rogue, etc.), software with GIAC is around $800 and around $1000 for AA. AFE intake is around $900 as well. Well worth it to maintain a working warranty if its installed at the dealer imho

Just make sure not to get the Midpipe if you value your emissions warranty. (Even from Dinan). They say its part of their 'race series' and such, their race series items will not extend regular warranty coverage as its meant for offroad use . Axleback AA exhaust won't void your warranty.

Will the AA Exhaust work with the Dinan Tuning Software??? Will that software compliment each other. Thank you for the responses as it is greatly appreciated.

Also i have a local Dinan BMW Dealer which is Ridgefield BMW
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 08:15 PM   #17
miamie92m3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Yes. I agree with all of this. However, once I heard the AA X-pipe with HFC and Muffler together (in person, not on a youtube video), I knew the complete system was for me. Its not too loud and its just so much more raw. Granted my car is not a daily driver. I chose AA for their reputation as a solid BMW tuner and their proximity to my house. I live in Miami. As for warranty and dealer, this is another issue that one must manage. I personally asked around for a mod friendly dealer locally and found one. Then, at the recommendation of others that go there, tip the SA and tech well. You would be surprised what these people will do for you when you show a little appreciation in the form of a tip. I had suspension issues recently and have the car lowered on Dinan springs. The tech and SA dont care. they warrantied the issues. Then I had another issue and the SA said just come back and drive the car back to the tech. The tech remembered me and personally made room for my car in one of the bays and took care of my car. They know I have HFC's and a non stock mid pipe and dont care. They probably know the car is flashed too. I would recommend that you are honest with your SA, treat him well, and ask that they do not enter the mods into the system because once that is done you are put into the universal system and the info becomes property of BMW corporate.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 09:48 PM   #18
saildoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Porsche Cayman R

Think about it....

My 2009 E92 got it's DCT replaced at 2200 miles under warranty. No mods on the car. Saw the invoice-$11,500..... glad I didn't make the jump and mod it otherwise I would have been paying for that new DCT.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 10:52 PM   #19
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E93 M3, '12 750ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildoc View Post
My 2009 E92 got it's DCT replaced at 2200 miles under warranty. No mods on the car. Saw the invoice-$11,500..... glad I didn't make the jump and mod it otherwise I would have been paying for that new DCT.
Appreciate 0