BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

09-18-2007, 02:57 AM   #1
savage.ulm1
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Giulia Q.

A "SMART" strategy made by BMW?

Hi ..
many bloggers are asking to themself why to compare the M3 to the PorscheGT3.
Now like you know someone else will compare the M3 to the Black Series on Sport Auto in the next few days. Someone else compared the M3 to the R8. And so on.
I suspect that this could be a fantastic strategy made by BMW.Marketing ...True "marketing".Very smart in my opinion. I explain:
if I have to promote a very nice product (new one), and I have to compare it to something similar (RS4,since C63 is still missing) and I would be probably a winner but not destroying the competitor...and in the meantime I need to protect my history (more than 20 years)...I get probably a poor result and the market will answer in one way.The answer could be...:
yes good product but not probably like I expected....
But..:
if compare my new product with something else, much stronger, much more expencive, much more appealing and I loose, but I am not destroied
by it, I will create a differente and probably better feeling in my customers. They will think that my product can't win but (less power,much heavier,but much cheaper!!!)in the meantime has lost with "Honour", and this will probably create something in my soul that will push me to better accept the new product.And his big qualities....
In other words: it is better (for marketing) to win for one second to a direct and similar concurrent, or to loose for several seconds (but not too much anyway) from a much stronger competitor?

What do you think? could be?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2007, 03:03 AM   #2
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

I dont think BMW has anything to do with how Magazines are designing their different car Comparisons and tests.

Jason
      09-18-2007, 03:04 AM   #3
JerezBlue!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage.ulm1 View Post
Hi ..
Now like you know someone else will compare the M3 to the Black Series on Sport Auto in the next few days. Someone else compared the M3 to the R8. And so on.
I suspect that this could be a fantastic strategy made by BMW.Marketing ...True "marketing".Very smart in my opinion. I explain:
if I have to promote a very nice product (new one), and I have to compare it to something similar (RS4,since C63 is still missing) and I would be probably a winner but not destroying the competitor...and in the meantime I need to protect my history (more than 20 years)...I get probably a poor result and the market will answer in one way.The answer could be...:
But..:
if compare my new product with something else, much stronger, much more expencive, much more appealing and I loose, but I am not destroied
by it, I will create a differente and probably better feeling in my customers. They will think that my product can't win but (less power,much heavier,but much cheaper!!!)in the meantime has lost with "Honour", and this will probably create something in my soul that will push me to better accept the new product.And his big qualities....
In other words: it is better (for marketing) to win for one second to a direct and similar concurrent, or to loose for several seconds (but not too much anyway) from a much stronger competitor?

Sure, that's like 'peer group' or 'aspirational' marketing.

Still, the new M3 V8 (GT) is an outstanding creation.

It seems to be in the same group as the new Maserati GT;

I mean that from a performance / interior space viewpoint.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2007, 05:40 AM   #4
savage.ulm1
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Giulia Q.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
I dont think BMW has anything to do with how Magazines are designing their different car Comparisons and tests.

Jason
I want only clarify, that my opinion is positive. I didn't write this post with any negative purposes. I am waiting my M3 and I am happy if they (or other people) compare it to faster cars. Absolutely...

bye
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2007, 05:44 AM   #5
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Your post is positive but still, BMW probably doesnt have any say on how a Magazine decides to review there cars.

What I am saying is that I dont think this was a planned strategy by BMW.

Jason
      09-18-2007, 07:20 AM   #6
BruceWain
Private
Rep
Drives: You Crazy

Quote:
Hi ..
But..:

I think that's a stretch.
Not to mention that, by the numbers the M3 is in close competition if not beating the R8.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2007, 07:37 AM   #7
dechoong
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 530 Sport

Quote:
Ermmm... I think you think too much into it here
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2007, 03:43 PM   #8
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post

Jason
+1

-Nathan
      09-18-2007, 03:51 PM   #9
///Murdock
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 M5, 04 M3

Quote:
Hi ..
But..:

i agree with what u said, but also with the others that bmw does not plan this.. but if they were (and im sure ultimately somehow they are behind it) its a good market idea to pin it agaisnt the beast of gt3 and only lose marginally... to the best car evaa
Appreciate 0