BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-11-2014, 12:18 PM   #45
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
The two guys have already been vetted and are highly unlikely to be involved with any terrorist organization. That's according to Interpol.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 12:32 PM   #46
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

^I'm not saying they had anything to do with it, but I mentioned it to show the problems the Malaysian government has created with it's ethnic favouritism policies, such that I don't know if it's because they share the same religion, that they can so easily get on the plane with obviously stolen documents.

What is weird is the location makes it unlikely to be Chinese domestic Xinjiang terrorism or anything related to the Middle East as it is so far away. Unless it was the only easy place to hijack a plane and they were going to fly it somewhere else..

I'd bet the Pilot or Co-pilot went nuts or something ridiculous of the sort.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 12:38 PM   #47
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I just received a push saying that the last ping came from hundreds of miles outside of the normal course the plane usually took.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 12:46 PM   #48
italia
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars:German|Motorbikes:Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I just received a push saying that the last ping came from hundreds of miles outside of the normal course the plane usually took.
Just saw that too. Wonder why it took this many days to discover that data.
'94 530i - E34, MT
'97 540i - E39, MT
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 12:53 PM   #49
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
^I'm not saying they had anything to do with it, but I mentioned it to show the problems the Malaysian government has created with it's ethnic favouritism policies, such that I don't know if it's because they share the same religion, that they can so easily get on the plane with obviously stolen documents.

What is weird is the location makes it unlikely to be Chinese domestic Xinjiang terrorism or anything related to the Middle East as it is so far away. Unless it was the only easy place to hijack a plane and they were going to fly it somewhere else..

I'd bet the Pilot or Co-pilot went nuts or something ridiculous of the sort.
Keep in mind Malaysian has a large Muslim population and the CIA has now said Terrorism can not be ruled out since some chatter about taking claim has now surface.

I read one interesting theory, which if the terrorist were smart and most are not since they want the shock factor and want to take responsibly since they can not help themselves.

However, say it was a terrorist attack and there whole plan was to ditch the plane in the middle of an ocean which makes finding the plane impossible. Also part of the plan was to never take responsibility since you know the US would be after you in a second. Think about people wanting to fly if a plane can just disappear the the authority can not figure out what happen and who did it. People fear the unknown more that what they know.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 01:03 PM   #50
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

^I'd say the Malaysian muslims are a content bunch, why wouldn't they be (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bumiputera_(Malaysia)) but you don't know if someone is taking advantage of kinship..

Where on earth were they going..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 11:47 AM   #51
richardbb85
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

i m still leaning towards the plane went straight to the bottom of the ocean, and it will take months if not years to find. we can all agree the plane is not in the air by now. landed somewhere in the forest? i hope so becuz there is still chance of survival but not likely.
      03-12-2014, 12:13 PM   #52
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
You don't "land" a plane in the forest.

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 12:24 PM   #53
richardbb85
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
i mean i am just hoping for the best, this whole thing just doesnt add up.
      03-12-2014, 01:58 PM   #54
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

1) Hijack plane

2) Shutoff all communication

3) Fly low to ground below radar

4) Land on abandoned airstrip

Now, some crazy organization has a Boeing 777 and 200+ hostages at their disposal. This scenario does not seem to crazy to have happened. It meets all of the criterea of the scenario.

I'm telling you right now. There is no way besides a full blown futuristic EMP pulse that every electrical system on that plane accidentally shut off at the same time. I do failure analysis on commercial aircraft and they have backup upon backup upon backup upon redundant systems galore. There is just no way.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 02:12 PM   #55
MMMCOOKIES55
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP/ '16 ATS-V

Quote:
I am sorry, I read that and just started laughing.

On a serious note, PGviper has a point, for all those electronics to just stop instantaneously like that, something isn't adding up.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 02:43 PM   #56
Maestro
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
1) Hijack plane

Now, some crazy organization has a Boeing 777 and 200+ hostages at their disposal. This scenario does not seem to crazy to have happened. It meets all of the criterea of the scenario.

I'm telling you right now. There is no way besides a full blown futuristic EMP pulse that every electrical system on that plane accidentally shut off at the same time. I do failure analysis on commercial aircraft and they have backup upon backup upon backup upon redundant systems galore. There is just no way.
A new theory...

4) Sank the Plane in 12,000 ft of water in the Indian Ocean, never to be seen again.

5) Terrorist never speak about it again and do it a few more time.

6) People stop flying since planes are disappearing all over the globe and the governments have no clue what is happening.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 02:58 PM   #57
Maestro
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbb85 View Post
i m still leaning towards the plane went straight to the bottom of the ocean, and it will take months if not years to find. we can all agree the plane is not in the air by now. landed somewhere in the forest? i hope so becuz there is still chance of survival but not likely.
No you Lawn Dart in to the forests

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 03:27 PM   #58
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
A new theory...

4) Sank the Plane in 12,000 ft of water in the Indian Ocean, never to be seen again.

5) Terrorist never speak about it again and do it a few more time.

6) People stop flying since planes are disappearing all over the globe and the governments have no clue what is happening.
Why would a terrorist do this anonymously? They are there to spread hate and fear. If no one knows it was them, wouldn't the mission be pointless?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 03:38 PM   #59
Maestro
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Why would a terrorist do this anonymously? They are there to spread hate and fear. If no one knows it was them, wouldn't the mission be pointless?

To your point, yes fear, if people think planes are disappearing wouldn't that create fear causing people not to fly thus accomplishing their goal.

Think about it, for years after 911 people would not fly until they felt safe with security measures and such and our government knew within days of what exactly happen. If the government has no clue who did it and what exactly happen they will not be able to convince people they got it covered. Would you fly if planes are falling out of the sky and you do not know who is doing and the authorities can not saw how they are doing it.

Remember most people tend to be very irrational.

Last edited by Maestro; 03-12-2014 at 03:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 04:05 PM   #60
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
To your point, yes fear, if people think planes are disappearing wouldn't that create fear causing people not to fly thus accomplishing their goal.

Think about it, for years after 911 people would not fly until they felt safe with security measures and such and our government knew within days of what exactly happen. If the government has no clue who did it and what exactly happen they will not be able to convince people they got it covered. Would you fly if planes are falling out of the sky and you do not know who is doing and the authorities can not saw how they are doing it.

But why would they not want people to fly in planes? It's not like they run a train conglomerate and wish to have people to take the train as opposed to taking a plain. Terrorists want to hijack planes and either hold people ransom for money, or bury it inside a building to do as much collateral damage as possible. But just to hijack a plane and make it disappear, I don't buy it.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 04:12 PM   #61
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Quote:

And you honestly think anyone in the world is going to allow a hijacking to occur again? One major effect that 9/11 had was to wake folks up that they can't just sit and be quiet and everything will be fine. If someone tries to rush the cockpit in this day and age they would not make it very far before they are massively overwhelmed by the people on that plane that don't want to be flown in to a building. Look at what happened on United 93 once the passengers learned about their real intentions.

Also, explain how the plane would be able to transit the country, regardless of how low, without being picked up on radar or spotted from the ground. A 777 passing overhead at anything below 10,000 ft is one helluva thing and would not be missed.

Quote:
Yes, especially when it comes to odd theories before all the facts have been disclosed.

You folks realize it took over 10 days to find anything from Air France 447, right? Similar circumstances (vanished over water).
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 04:43 PM   #62
richardbb85
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/12/world/...html?hpt=hp_t1

hope this leads to something
      03-12-2014, 04:52 PM   #63
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
1) Hijack plane

Would a plane not stall at that low of an altitude? I thought thats the whole reason AirFrance went down? Too low of an altitude caused the stall warnings to go off and the auto pilot to cease ultimately plummeting all 220+ passengers and crew to their deaths
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 04:56 PM   #64
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
And you honestly think anyone in the world is going to allow a hijacking to occur again? One major effect that 9/11 had was to wake folks up that they can't just sit and be quiet and everything will be fine. If someone tries to rush the cockpit in this day and age they would not make it very far before they are massively overwhelmed by the people on that plane that don't want to be flown in to a building. Look at what happened on United 93 once the passengers learned about their real intentions.

Also, explain how the plane would be able to transit the country, regardless of how low, without being picked up on radar or spotted from the ground. A 777 passing overhead at anything below 10,000 ft is one helluva thing and would not be missed.

Yes, especially when it comes to odd theories before all the facts have been disclosed.

You folks realize it took over 10 days to find anything from Air France 447, right? Similar circumstances (vanished over water).
I agree with you 100%. There is no way a flight full of passengers would sit by and let some asshole terrorist(s) hijack a plane with a box cutter every again. The second anyone makes a move, some giant American will punch the f*cker out COLD TURKEY! Not sure if you've ever seen what the average terrorist looks like, but he's either terribly overweight and in crap shape or skinny like a rail. One jock on the plan and it's GAME OVER!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 05:02 PM   #65
richardbb85
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I agree with you 100%. There is no way a flight full of passengers would sit by and let some asshole terrorist(s) hijack a plane with a box cutter every again. The second anyone makes a move, some giant American will punch the f*cker out COLD TURKEY! Not sure if you've ever seen what the average terrorist looks like, but he's either terribly overweight and in crap shape or skinny like a rail. One jock on the plan and it's GAME OVER!
their looks wouldnt matter, i dont care if they big like shaq or small, i am gona fight til my last breath.
      03-12-2014, 05:29 PM   #66
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
Would a plane not stall at that low of an altitude? I thought thats the whole reason AirFrance went down? Too low of an altitude caused the stall warnings to go off and the auto pilot to cease ultimately plummeting all 220+ passengers and crew to their deaths
Not really. An airplane can fly at any altitude (up to it's ceiling of course). AF447 went down because the pitot probes iced up. Those probes are used to determine air speed. The airplane started getting conflicting numbers from it's three pitot probes and the autopilot basically said "F this" and turned it over to the pilots. The pilots reacted incorrectly and tried to troubleshoot the air data malfunction rather than just flying the damn airplane. This resulted in them putting the airplane into a stall and start losing altitude. It got away from them to the point where it was completely unrecoverable and it pancaked into the ocean.

Classic example of pilots becoming over-reliant on the automation and losing their basic stick-and-rudder skills unfortunately.
Appreciate 0