BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

05-05-2011, 10:45 PM   #1
len56
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a gentleman

what happened to 'made in america' pride?

http://ca.jalopnik.com/5798883/worke...ers-over-lunch

D:
(and I'm not even american... though we did just order a bunch of these fighters...)
      05-05-2011, 10:54 PM   #2
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

Maybe they were building the Canadian F-35 fighters so that's why they were drinking beers.

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 10:55 PM   #3
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

Pride doesn't pay.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 10:56 PM   #4
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

I have American pride. Unfortunately when it comes to many products these days American means shitty quality. Its sad but true.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 11:00 PM   #5
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

It's a little something called the labor union. They get paid an inflated salary and are encouraged to not work any harder than the guy next to them. And then they get paid more for less productivity
      05-05-2011, 11:01 PM   #6
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

FUCK unions
      05-05-2011, 11:03 PM   #7
iBoost
Retired e90post Member
Rep
Drives: real slow

i cant remember the last thing i bought "made in america"
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 11:16 PM   #8
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

allen edmonds is a quality american product. let me think for a while so i can update this list
      05-05-2011, 11:55 PM   #9
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

It was outsourced to china.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 12:24 AM   #10
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

ugh becky oliver...what a cunt. she legendary around dallas for being the news cunt you never want to meet.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 12:30 AM   #11
ghosthi32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Water camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
ugh becky oliver...what a cunt. she legendary around dallas for being the news cunt you never want to meet.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 01:41 AM   #12
whyrms
Private
Rep
Drives: foot mobile.

I hate these fucking documentaries...yeah yeah they drink? smoke weed? oh shit...big fucken deals.

You know why i hate them? because they always target american, you know why? cause it's easy, and they got a lot of free times to nit pick. I don't see people doing documentary on workers in china, or italy, or france, or philipine. What? it's too difficult to do that?
I follow underground journalism enough to know that worse shit goes down in other country than beer drinking. So when these things show up to defame american, I scoff. Did you know that the oil industry in china collect cooking oil from the sewage (because they float to the top of the sewage) and reprocess it and sell it to people? THAT is something worth nothing.

I loath things that are made in China. I've been a consumer enough to know that if you buy something that is made in USA chances are that it won't be contaminated with lead, deadly chemicals, or radioactive shits. FUCK MADE IN CHINA!!!! companies outsource cause the labor is cheaper and the quality assurance in those countries are almost non-existing. Those companies are poisoning our country for money. I swear to myself to try my best not to support those kind of business, and I think you should too.

/end rant.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 02:04 AM   #13
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
I have American pride. Unfortunately when it comes to many products these days American means shitty quality. Its sad but true.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 07:42 AM   #14
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

The t-shirts with the "made in America" logo on them got lost in transit from our Chinese manufacturer.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 11:12 AM   #15
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBoost View Post
i cant remember the last thing i bought "made in america"
all the things i buy lately are "Designed by Apple in California"
      05-06-2011, 11:22 AM   #16
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
You guys really need to read "Future Shock". Written in 1970 by Alvin Toffler and most of his predictions about the "future" is already here with us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_Shock
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 11:23 AM   #17
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefald View Post
all the things i buy lately are "Designed by Apple in California"
Design directed by British Apple employee, outsourced to China is what it should say.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 12:07 PM   #18
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyrms View Post
I hate these fucking documentaries...yeah yeah they drink? smoke weed? oh shit...big fucken deals.

You know why i hate them? because they always target american, you know why? cause it's easy, and they got a lot of free times to nit pick. I don't see people doing documentary on workers in china, or italy, or france, or philipine. What? it's too difficult to do that?
I follow underground journalism enough to know that worse shit goes down in other country than beer drinking. So when these things show up to defame american, I scoff. Did you know that the oil industry in china collect cooking oil from the sewage (because they float to the top of the sewage) and reprocess it and sell it to people? THAT is something worth nothing.

I loath things that are made in China. I've been a consumer enough to know that if you buy something that is made in USA chances are that it won't be contaminated with lead, deadly chemicals, or radioactive shits. FUCK MADE IN CHINA!!!! companies outsource cause the labor is cheaper and the quality assurance in those countries are almost non-existing. Those companies are poisoning our country for money. I swear to myself to try my best not to support those kind of business, and I think you should too.

/end rant.
So I take it you boycott using iphone?

Also, you get what you pay for. And as for selling dangerous goods, Nestle was involved in the 2008 baby milk scandal in China. I'm just sayin' we're not angels either. Stuff happens. If you do something wrong, be prepared to face the consequences. I don't think ANYONE should be given a free pass.

And there have been NUMEROUS documentaries about 3rd world working conditions. I know for a fact I've seen a couple about China. Anyways, outsourced labor is much cheaper than "American," so again, you get what you pay for; or in this case you get drunks working on your multi-million dollar jet. When you pay a premium, you expect professionals, not screwing around. So your expectation of American quality didn't really apply in this instance now, did it? And I think we can all agree this isn't the first time any of us have heard of people drinking on the job in America. Maybe I'm looking at this harshly, but I just don't agree with this being no big deal. I think it is a big deal we have people working on military crafts while impaired; they're putting lives at risk.

Anyways, is China selling reprocessed sewage oil to USA? If not, let's worry about problems that affect US first. Since we came down on the lead scandal, has it happened to us again?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 12:46 PM   #19
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyrms View Post
I don't see people doing documentary on workers in china, or italy, or france, or philipine
before you make strong statements like that, you should do your research.
the only reason you do not see these documentaries, is because you do not look for them and nobody brings them to you on a silver platter.
there are PLENTY, all you have to do it search.

China Blue (2005)
Manufactured Landscapes (2006)
Modern Day Slaves: OFW Overseas Foreign Workers (2010)
Santa’s Workshop: Inside China’s Slave Labour Toy Factories

there are many many more, but you should probably do your own research before you open your mouth.
      05-06-2011, 03:24 PM   #20
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Bottom line costs and EPA drives business out of the USA. EPA I can stomach or understand but then cost comes in when you have to retool a factory to use EPA approved manufacturing. My current client just recently shifted 100% of it's recreational hydro therapy products to be made in Mexico. Directly because of labor cost. They could not compete with others in their business segment who had done that and were getting killed on cost. Now mind you the US based work force was not highly trained nor highly paid but the switch to foreign based labor yielded a net 32% reduction in cost and that's with sourcing all raw material still here in the US and shipping it down to TJ. Once they straighten that out it will be another @10% reduction. As far as China goes, I've had a couple of clients in the past who did their manufacturing in China in non-sterile environments, yes it's cheaper and the QC might lack some but the enviromental issues that go with producing those products are mind boggling. I personally saw in the Shanghai/Tangshan area contract manufacturers, porcelin sanitary ware products(read toilets and urinals) pumping high non VOC compliant liquids out to a common sewer. Those practices will bite them in the future once current civil liberties and such catch up and people can actually make claims against companies and the government for allowing it. Labor unions have been instrumental in driving cost up but also sate policies as well. Look at Boeing's current labor disputes over moving plants to SC. Management does not want it because SC is a right to work state and the labor union would have a field day raising the average hourly rate for factory workers in and around those locations affecting all companies. Sometimes union ideology has far outlived it's intended purpose of the late 19th and early 20th century organizations. Not an easy solution or decision to make if you are repsonsible for making an organization proifitable.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 03:32 PM   #21
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

shit, US FLAGS aren't even made in america any longer...
      05-06-2011, 05:53 PM   #22
Simsims
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 119/220

it's what happens when market drives costs lower and lower.