BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-11-2008, 05:10 PM   #1
couldn't-think-of-a-name
United_States
Rep
Drives: Looking to buy an M3

Gas Guzzler Tax NOT included

I just ran a report on Consumer Reports and it DOES NOT show a Gas Guzzler Tax for the 2009 M3 Sedan. It does, however, show it for the Coupe, Convertible, M5 and M6. The BMW Website does not show it either.

Do you think that the Gas Guzzler is then tacked on to boost profit for the dealer because the sedan is not selling? JAT (just a thought)
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 05:18 PM   #2
nullspace
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by couldn't-think-of-a-name View Post
I just ran a report on Consumer Reports and it DOES NOT show a Gas Guzzler Tax for the 2009 M3 Sedan. It does, however, show it for the Coupe, Convertible, M5 and M6. The BMW Website does not show it either.

Do you think that the Gas Guzzler is then tacked on to boost profit for the dealer because the sedan is not selling? JAT (just a thought)
Consumer Reports just made a mistake - there's no conspiracy here. The tax is real, and it hasn't changed.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 05:22 PM   #3
scarhead
Rep
Drives: M3

For those of you who have already purchased did you guys add it on after sales tax or before? If it was before than it is a double taxation, so the sales tax is computed on a tax. Also, the destination charge should be after the computation of sales tax. Why be taxed on a gas tax and destination fee. When I bought my car the fees were added on after the sales tax was figured.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 09:47 PM   #4
AZ-BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E93 w/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarhead View Post
For those of you who have already purchased did you guys add it on after sales tax or before? If it was before than it is a double taxation, so the sales tax is computed on a tax. Also, the destination charge should be after the computation of sales tax. Why be taxed on a gas tax and destination fee. When I bought my car the fees were added on after the sales tax was figured.
Unfortunately the GGT is in the before sales tax price, so at least in AZ we are getting double taxed, but maybe my CPA can find a way to get me some kind of tax credit for it
Ditto for the $825 transportation charge.

2009 AW M3 E93 - Black Novillo|DCT|ZTP|ZPP|752 Enh Audio|4UT|Heated Seats|6FL|6NF|
For jpg's: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=186382&page=4
Traded: 2007 335i E93
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 02:17 AM   #5
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

GG tax is definitely part of the price on the 09s, it's right on the window stickers for the coupe, sedan, and vert.

biggest ripoff ever. Let's charge people $1300 for cars but gas sucking SUVs? Not a thing. What a load of BS.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 12:57 PM   #6
couldn't-think-of-a-name
United_States
Rep
Drives: Looking to buy an M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
GG tax is definitely part of the price on the 09s, it's right on the window stickers for the coupe, sedan, and vert.

biggest ripoff ever. Let's charge people $1300 for cars but gas sucking SUVs? Not a thing. What a load of BS.
No S_ _ _! I looked at the EPA website and it clearly states no tax for trucks/suvs. I remember when this gas guzzler tax was first initiated and I recall that it was an attempt to balance the trade numbers. In other words, imports with high gas mileage would be taxed, but domestics with the same mileage wouldn't be.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 01:13 PM   #7
jaay11
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i Dinan 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by couldn't-think-of-a-name View Post
In other words, imports with high gas mileage would be taxed, but domestics with the same mileage wouldn't be.
Didn't help'em any....they are still strugglin.....big time.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 01:26 PM   #8
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaay11 View Post
Didn't help'em any....they are still strugglin.....big time.
because they never paid Gas Guzzler taxes
gave them no incentive to make fuel efficient cars
Appreciate 0