BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-12-2015, 07:07 PM   #1
tjav8b
Enlisted Member
tjav8b's Avatar
2
Rep
31
Posts

Drives: 2007 M5 VT2
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Fort Worth

iTrader: (0)

How much Boost?

What is the maximum boost S65's are running on the stock rods/bolts? At about what power output can one expect failure?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 08:58 PM   #2
Patrón
PAZUZU
Patrón's Avatar
United_States
269
Rep
1,755
Posts

Drives: ESS 625 DCT
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjav8b View Post
What is the maximum boost S65's are running on the stock rods/bolts? At about what power output can one expect failure?
What fuel/octane?
__________________

MELBOURNE CARBON ROOF COUPE ESS-625 TEXAS ///M CLUB
Instagram @jagemoets
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 09:04 PM   #3
tjav8b
Enlisted Member
tjav8b's Avatar
2
Rep
31
Posts

Drives: 2007 M5 VT2
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Fort Worth

iTrader: (0)

93 octane.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 09:32 PM   #4
Longboarder
Major General
653
Rep
5,385
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW i8
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Monarch Beach

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Member Bihn runs 10psi on an ESS kit with an upgraded intercooler system. He trapped 134.X in the quarter mile. Record for a stock motor. 93 octane.

I don't think that's a long term solution though. Too much boost for too long and maybe a bad batch of gas and BOOM.

For the long term around 7.5 psi is consider the max from a longevity standpoint.
__________________
Daily: 2016 i8 Chrystal White w/BMW iBlue / Terra World
Airstrip: 2015 991 Turbo S / FBO meth upgraded turbos
Track: 2015 991 GT3 / GT Silver, carbon bucket seats, steel brakes, red accents
Beaterz: 2013 X5 3.5 Sport, 2015 Wrangler Unlimited
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 01:41 AM   #5
R_lara
Second Lieutenant
R_lara's Avatar
Dominican Republic
29
Rep
259
Posts

Drives: E90 2009 M3 Ess VT2650
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Santo Domingo

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder
Member Bihn runs 10psi on an ESS kit with an upgraded intercooler system. He trapped 134.X in the quarter mile. Record for a stock motor. 93 octane.

I don't think that's a long term solution though. Too much boost for too long and maybe a bad batch of gas and BOOM.

For the long term around 7.5 psi is consider the max from a longevity standpoint.
Agreed, my P3 gauge reading 7.9-8.1 with a 3.7 inch pulley on my S/C anybody with this pulley.

I think we should do a pulley size boost result thread.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 09:47 AM   #6
Patrón
PAZUZU
Patrón's Avatar
United_States
269
Rep
1,755
Posts

Drives: ESS 625 DCT
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_lara View Post
Agreed, my P3 gauge reading 7.9-8.1 with a 3.7 inch pulley on my S/C anybody with this pulley.

I think we should do a pulley size boost result thread.
that is a good idea, but the variance factor is also going to be the temps at time of reading. i got some really high readings when it was humid and cold, ten degrees hotter on another day and diff humidity and i'm one psi or more lower. i didn't think the humidity and temps would affect it that much but it does. i am not running my car hard until ambient temps are below 75 again.
__________________

MELBOURNE CARBON ROOF COUPE ESS-625 TEXAS ///M CLUB
Instagram @jagemoets
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 09:55 AM   #7
R_lara
Second Lieutenant
R_lara's Avatar
Dominican Republic
29
Rep
259
Posts

Drives: E90 2009 M3 Ess VT2650
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Santo Domingo

iTrader: (0)

What is the variance give of take with temp and humidity? Also clean or dirty filters will affect I assume and boost gauge used.

But we can gather enough data to average out.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 03:20 PM   #8
Patrón
PAZUZU
Patrón's Avatar
United_States
269
Rep
1,755
Posts

Drives: ESS 625 DCT
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_lara View Post
What is the variance give of take with temp and humidity? Also clean or dirty filters will affect I assume and boost gauge used.

But we can gather enough data to average out.
i am going off of data on my p3, which is tapped into the line very near the BPV line connection.

i was reading 8-8.4 one evening when it was 65-60deg. with humidity in the 40-50% range. low 70s and similar humidity and the psi dropped. 80s and it dropped more. i will have to redo some samples in different tempatures and log my readings. i'll do it again in September when the tempatures drop. it is in the mid 80s now with 80% humidity. i don't push my car hard in hot tempatures. never have because it seems above 77 degrees or so and the car (even in N/A form) drove very differently.
__________________

MELBOURNE CARBON ROOF COUPE ESS-625 TEXAS ///M CLUB
Instagram @jagemoets
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 04:39 PM   #9
R_lara
Second Lieutenant
R_lara's Avatar
Dominican Republic
29
Rep
259
Posts

Drives: E90 2009 M3 Ess VT2650
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Santo Domingo

iTrader: (0)

Hmmm where I live we rarely see any temps under 80 degrees.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 10:19 AM   #10
tjav8b
Enlisted Member
tjav8b's Avatar
2
Rep
31
Posts

Drives: 2007 M5 VT2
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Fort Worth

iTrader: (0)

I recently de-catted my headers and think I have a slight boost loss due to the increased flow. I run the 3.55" pulley now and my gauge shows a maximum of 6psi. AJ told me I could go down to the next size pulley of 3.25" "at my own risk". He said the software would support the smaller pulley but at these power levels the rods/bearings could fail.

I come to this board a lot for answers because there are not a lot of supercharged S85 engines running around that frequent the boards. Since S65/S85 engines are mostly the same, my engine should be able to handle more boost right? What do you guys think? Does AJ tell everyone "at your own risk" but its really ok or will I end up blowing my engine?

Thanks guys.

Last edited by tjav8b; 04-14-2015 at 06:49 PM.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 11:32 AM   #11
sales@ESSTuning
sales@ESSTuning's Avatar
201
Rep
3,154
Posts

Drives: ESS M3 / M4
Join Date: May 2007
Location: AZ

iTrader: (6)

Right around 8 psi on 93+ octane fuel is max boost we like to run the S65.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2015, 12:14 PM   #12
Disturbed
First Lieutenant
Disturbed's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
381
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
Right around 8 psi on 93+ octane fuel is max boost we like to run the S65.


Seems pretty low. You should have no issue running 14psi-16psi on 93. Even on many other platforms that's pretty normal limit on 93 as far as boost. Is it due to compression ratio? If so, why not use a bit thicker head gasket to drop the cr and easily make up the extra power by adding more boost for even more power on pump gas. These cars could easily make 650rwhp on 93 with the rpms they run.

I admit this S65 and the low power output in the aftermarket baffles me.

With the bore/stroke these cars run why hasn't a street car been running 9,500rpm?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 01:05 PM   #13
pbonsalb
Brigadier General
589
Rep
4,650
Posts

Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH

iTrader: (3)

Seriously? With 12.0:1 CR people run 14-16 psi on 93 pump? Who?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 03:35 PM   #14
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
175
Rep
1,948
Posts

Drives: Sprint car
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbed View Post
Seems pretty low. You should have no issue running 14psi-16psi on 93. Even on many other platforms that's pretty normal limit on 93 as far as boost. Is it due to compression ratio? If so, why not use a bit thicker head gasket to drop the cr and easily make up the extra power by adding more boost for even more power on pump gas. These cars could easily make 650rwhp on 93 with the rpms they run.

I admit this S65 and the low power output in the aftermarket baffles me.

With the bore/stroke these cars run why hasn't a street car been running 9,500rpm?
I don't think a thicker head gasket will drop the compression ratio as much as you think. If you double the thickness of the head gasket, the compression ratio drops from 12.0:1 to 11.15:1. If you triple the thickness, the compression ratio will drop to 9.7:1. The thickest head gasket I've ever seen on this engine is 0.089 mm. That would make 11.5:1 compression ratio.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 04:11 PM   #15
Disturbed
First Lieutenant
Disturbed's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
381
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular guy View Post
I don't think a thicker head gasket will drop the compression ratio as much as you think. If you double the thickness of the head gasket, the compression ratio drops from 12.0:1 to 11.15:1. If you triple the thickness, the compression ratio will drop to 9.7:1. The thickest head gasket I've ever seen on this engine is 0.089 mm. That would make 11.5:1 compression ratio.
9.7:1 would work nicely. I was running 9.5:1 on my Talon and pushed 16psi without issue...that was back in the late 90's/early 2000's.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 05:39 PM   #16
8k3
Banned
80
Rep
956
Posts

Drives: Car
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Boise, ID

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular guy View Post
I don't think a thicker head gasket will drop the compression ratio as much as you think. If you double the thickness of the head gasket, the compression ratio drops from 12.0:1 to 11.15:1. If you triple the thickness, the compression ratio will drop to 9.7:1. The thickest head gasket I've ever seen on this engine is 0.089 mm. That would make 11.5:1 compression ratio.
And do you really want to rely on a head gasket mod to drop compression... I don't
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 06:48 PM   #17
tjav8b
Enlisted Member
tjav8b's Avatar
2
Rep
31
Posts

Drives: 2007 M5 VT2
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Fort Worth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
Right around 8 psi on 93+ octane fuel is max boost we like to run the S65.
Roman...What about the S85?
__________________
2007 M5 VT-650
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 09:12 PM   #18
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
175
Rep
1,948
Posts

Drives: Sprint car
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8k3 View Post
And do you really want to rely on a head gasket mod to drop compression... I don't
No of course not...it's pure insanity to do that. But apparently, it doesn't bother some people.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 09:35 PM   #19
pbonsalb
Brigadier General
589
Rep
4,650
Posts

Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH

iTrader: (3)

On some motors, the thicker HG or spacer plus HG works fine, is reliable and allows big power. Like the S52 used in the E36 M3.

Much more work on a V8 with dual vanos heads.

Of course an expensive built motor with low compression pistons would be more desirable but not everyone has the big bucks.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 11:39 PM   #20
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
175
Rep
1,948
Posts

Drives: Sprint car
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
On some motors, the thicker HG or spacer plus HG works fine, is reliable and allows big power. Like the S52 used in the E36 M3.

Much more work on a V8 with dual vanos heads.

Of course an expensive built motor with low compression pistons would be more desirable but not everyone has the big bucks.
But would you go 3x the factory head gasket thickness on this engine (specifically on this engine)?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 06:54 AM   #21
pbonsalb
Brigadier General
589
Rep
4,650
Posts

Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH

iTrader: (3)

Typically double thickness is what you see, meaning you are starting with less compression. The thicker HG also reduces squish, which can make combustion less efficient (though on the S52, it seemed to have little to no effect according to tuners). For a triple thickness, I would use an annealed copper spacer with stock gasket rather than a triple thickness gasket.

But given the work to do this on an S65, I would just build the engine. Besides, if you are lowering CR to make more power than you could with stock CR, you are likely at the limits of the stock rods on the S65 (I made 520 lbs rwtq on S52 rods with compression lowering headgasket, but it does not appear the S65 rods have the same overhead).

If rods were not a limiting factor, those living in E85 areas could run E85 since it will allow substantially more boost on the same CR. We may see some such cars soon. But given the inconsistency of E85, I would want a flex fuel sensor and tuning that accommodates it or a failsafe of some kind. Nearest E85 is about an hour away for me so I have never looked seriously into it, but I have been running meth/water on my n/a 08M3 for 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 07:25 PM   #22
Spoolin1
Second Lieutenant
Spoolin1's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
293
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 ZCP
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sellersburg, IN

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbed View Post
9.7:1 would work nicely. I was running 9.5:1 on my Talon and pushed 16psi without issue...that was back in the late 90's/early 2000's.
I ran my S2000 F20c in stock block form at 11:1 CR and pushed 34 psi to it making over 800 whp and spinning it up to 9500 rpm. Not one issue and held the stock block record for years but of course the F20c comes with forged internals from factory.

Also, lowering compression with a thicker gasket or spacer is only asking for trouble. We have tried this with the F20c motor before and because the piston comes out of the deck some, all of the combustion happens on that gasket/spacer and in time they blow from the weakened thicker gasket/spacer area, even when running strong H11 headstuds. I'm not sure if the S65 pistons come out of the deck some but I would assume so with 12:1 CR.
__________________
11 E92 ZCP
02 Honda S2000
-741 whp 471 wtq (dynojet) @ 29.6 psi on e85; now on 34 psi, 800+ whp.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:53 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST