BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

12-20-2010, 09:45 PM   #23
Peteypab2133
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 GT500 on order / E90 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiS5 View Post
Sweet car, but you're a bit misleading there. Unless you own a shop, got a business discount on parts and did all the work and tuning yourself, there is no way that is only $900 in mods. Even if you did have all the above, the average person will be paying more to run an Evo that quickly so thats not really a fair price to say. Back on topic, your Evo has at least $2.5k worth of mods. Pulley, tuned, and filtered M3 should run a slower time by a tad, but with a higher trap speed. Sick car nonetheless, but not $900 in go fast mods, sorry. My STI's parts- Turboback was $1,500, Perrin Short Ram $170, and tune was $900.

I used to work for slowboy racing. (no discounts for the parts i bought though but I can still tell you the parts pricing for pretty much every part on the market....)

STI parts for one are FAR more expensive, Part for part thus the reason the evo is a modding car and the STI is a drivers car. HP / $ will always be in favor of the 4G63.

I went on EVOm and bought a used 3.5" exhaust for $350.00
The cams are cosworth M2 and that cost me $450.00
the filter cone and intake pipe was like $100.00

The tune was on the house becuase I used to work at the shop. As it goes for labor, a ricky retardo could change the exhaust, the cams were about an hour to 1.5 hours worth of work.

Megan racing is a fine example of tuning parts that WORK the same as things like HKS, PERRIN, AMS, etc etc. and its 1/5 the price.

I guess what I am saying is you are paying a premium tax (my cousin paid the corvette tax for every part he owned on he C6 corvette) Same metal for exhaust systems, just 3 times the price. Same for the M cars. I mean for god sake they sell $2500 hoods that have gaps in the front that look like shit but people still spend a million bucks becuase it is a brand name. But a CF hood for every other application runs somewhere around $450-700.

this is a link to my old mod list before I parted it out because 650-700whp on a daily was a little useless at the time.

http://englishracing.net/catalog/ets...t3t4-turbo-kit

2013 GT500 + 2006 E90
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 09:51 PM   #24
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

^no doubt the Evo is a beast when tuned and fairly cheap to tune.

but the OP said the other Evos were basically stock, which the M should handle easily.
Otherwise we turn this into another "my turbo 1984 Ford Fiesta is faster than a Ferrari" thread.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 05:23 AM   #25
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteypab2133 View Post
great advice!

I tell you want, bring your car to Kentucky in may when the 1/4 mile opens as well as the local track. Bring your title, your mouth, your video camera, I want everyone to see me take that cute little M off your hands.

Dont give advice that your car cannot back up.

With just a tune and mbc stock turbo evos run mid 11's. Youtube it.

Better hope the guys he work with are not telling fibs, because if my car didnt have a 3.5" exhaust it would sound stock but run like a monster.
Ricers are all the same: "With just a Blah, blah, blah and a blah, my tin can will beat your... (your car's name here). The OP said stock.

I'll tell you what...how 'bout I come down to Kentucky from NY with my mouth (like you requested) and whoever has the most teeth, wins both the titles?

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 06:47 AM   #26
thai357sig
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
Ricers are all the same: "With just a Blah, blah, blah and a blah, my tin can will beat your... (your car's name here). The OP said stock.

I'll tell you what...how 'bout I come down to Kentucky from NY with my mouth (like you requested) and whoever has the most teeth, wins both the titles?
Suggestion Kyoshi,
You bring your title to your cute little M3, AND Petey brings his title to whatever PLUS $40-50K cash to make up difference for his deficiency in equal value. Otherwise its like playing poker and betting my 70,000 dollars to his 30,000 and winner takes all. Sounds pretty unfair to me!
      12-21-2010, 08:11 AM   #27
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thai357sig View Post
Suggestion Kyoshi,
You bring your title to your cute little M3, AND Petey brings his title to whatever PLUS $40-50K cash to make up difference for his deficiency in equal value. Otherwise its like playing poker and betting my 70,000 dollars to his 30,000 and winner takes all. Sounds pretty unfair to me!
You're right! Sound like Mountain Dew Math to me.

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 09:46 AM   #28
NYC 135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BSM 135i

Quote:
Seriously? 350whp in a stage 2 Evo? Get me the dyno for that cause that's over 440hp to the crank which is crazy numbers. My Stage 2 STi would have been raped by any e90 M3 especially dct. Run them from any rolling speed and you'll most definitely win unless they have some crazy mods (meth injection, upgraded turbo etc). Even if they are stage 2 you'll win.
Lol I could get you my dyno sheet if you really want to I had 340whp on a full exhaust intake and a tune..evos respond to mods way better than stis do
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 10:07 AM   #29
JonnyM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Moderately Quick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC e92 View Post
Lol I could get you my dyno sheet if you really want to I had 340whp on a full exhaust intake and a tune..evos respond to mods way better than stis do
Dynojet? 320 sounds reasonable, but I used to run and beat many Stage 2 Evo's in my old STi and my M3 is definitely faster..granted there were a few that did beat me, but the difference between the cars was minimal. Stage 2 an Evo can not take down an M3 on a roll if the M is in the right gear, I'm sorry. To Petey, looks like you're running a new clutch as well as a bigger turbo now...as I said- sick car, but I'd expect you to beat M3's now.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 02:44 PM   #30
NYC 135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Dynojet? 320 sounds reasonable, but I used to run and beat many Stage 2 Evo's in my old STi and my M3 is definitely faster..granted there were a few that did beat me, but the difference between the cars was minimal. Stage 2 an Evo can not take down an M3 on a roll if the M is in the right gear, I'm sorry. To Petey, looks like you're running a new clutch as well as a bigger turbo now...as I said- sick car, but I'd expect you to beat M3's now.
I never said it would win but i did make 340whp and 345torque on a dynojet with intake exhaust fuel pump and a tune, however i said it will definitely stay with it at that power...when i got to 400whp i did beat an e92 m3 though.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 03:16 PM   #31
JonnyM3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I never said it would win but i did make 340whp and 345torque on a dynojet with intake exhaust fuel pump and a tune, however i said it will definitely stay with it at that power...when i got to 400whp i did beat an e92 m3 though.

Sorry just reiterating my previous statement, wasn't really directed at you. We both know, as everyone else knows Dynojets run a bit high. On a Dyno Dynamics, Mustang Dyno that number would be significantly lower, around 10 percent +. I'm not doubting you put down 340 awhp, but I just wouldn't call the Dyno you used reliable.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 04:54 PM   #32
Peteypab2133
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thai357sig View Post
Suggestion Kyoshi,
Yep, I will make you a deal. I will put my shares of apple along side my title.. I have an awd e90 I call a beater if you want it too. You know, just because you might need something for the winter.

Ohhh, maybe I will scratch this whole thing and stop at hertz rent a car, pay $130 to rent a mustang GT and make you look even more like an over compensating chump lol... And I'm only in KY because of my wife who is attending grad school.. I'm from the city of champions.

2013 GT500 + 2006 E90
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 05:57 PM   #33
NYC 135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry just reiterating my previous statement, wasn't really directed at you. We both know, as everyone else knows Dynojets run a bit high. On a Dyno Dynamics, Mustang Dyno that number would be significantly lower, around 10 percent +. I'm not doubting you put down 340 awhp, but I just wouldn't call the Dyno you used reliable.
eh i wouldn't say it wasn't a reliable dyno...idk if you're from the NY area but Iveytune is one of the most reputable tuners around and this one is about 10hp difference from a very low reading mustang dyno. I feel like dynojets give a more accurate reading anyways...when i had 340whp i did stay with an m3 from a roll but top end it edged me.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 06:56 PM   #34
JonnyM3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
eh i wouldn't say it wasn't a reliable dyno...idk if you're from the NY area but Iveytune is one of the most reputable tuners around and this one is about 10hp difference from a very low reading mustang dyno. I feel like dynojets give a more accurate reading anyways...when i had 340whp i did stay with an m3 from a roll but top end it edged me.
Ya which is expected....not knocking Evo's by any means as I've always wanted one...truly a fantastic car. Idk if you know them but my friend Will actually bought the tuners Evo from Ivey....had many problems if I recall.

To everyone here all I'm saying is that an Evo w/ just a catback or TBE will not beat an M3.

Petey, seems like you're making a lot of friends here....how about I bring over my friends modded civic for your apple shares and your slip....any car can be modded to be faster than this or that...I think everyone just gotta relax.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 11:48 PM   #35
FastM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Evos break all day long.. You spend more time repairing them and changing motors transmissions and transfer-cases then driving them. Every single one of my friends that own or have owned an Evo have broken at least the motor and transfer-case. Just tell them best out of 10 on the drag racing the Evo wont last past the 3rd race..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 12:25 AM   #36
newowner35i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_SID View Post
Alright guys, I have had my M for less than 3 days at work and already I am hearing it from the 3 guys at my office who all drive the same color Evo's. They think just because it has AWD that it will take the M . ANYWAY, I thought this had to have been covered before on here but I cant find it. A matter of fact, I can find any E9X M3 Vs Evo comparisons anywhere. I tell them its just because the Stock Evo is not even in the same class to be tested against the M. So, help me out here with some office ammo!
. A evo with 400 hp wouldn't be fair because it would be lighter and have the dorky diff
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 10:04 AM   #37
F82_SID
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6mt HK Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
First of all, you'll kill them in every rergard so I wouldnt sweat any of it. Secondly, and almost as important, if you're over the age of 22 and driving one, you look like a complete fast & furious wannabe jerkoff.
Bottom line: You win on all fronts.
The funny part about your statement is that I am the 26 year old in the new M3 and they are in their 30's & 40's driving Evo's lol. I agree with you. I like Evos but I would feel like a pimple faced teen driving one.
      12-22-2010, 10:41 AM   #38
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_SID View Post
The funny part about your statement is that I am the 26 year old in the new M3 and they are in their 30's & 40's driving Evo's lol. I agree with you. I like Evos but I would feel like a pimple faced teen driving one.
That's kind of funny

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 10:45 AM   #39
Longbow64
_______
Rep
Drives: 15 M3, 13 X3 35i MSport

Former Evo IX owner

Well, this is an interesting thread. I recently sold my Evo IX SE and bought an 09 E90 M3. I love reading about these guys who estimate their horsepower and never get a real dyno assoicated with it. I spent close to $2000 in performance mods with an AMS turbo exhaust $1100 (much lounder than stock, so factor in another discomfort to driving; and won't pass emissions), Perrin intake $200, O2 housing $150, AMS lower intercooler pipe $100, and a dyno tune from a well respected tuning company in Pennsylvania $450. This still only got me to 315hp/292tq on a mustang dyno. You could mod the crap out of the Evo for relatively cheap, but each mod comes at a cost to comfort, resale, emissions, etc.

The evo feels faster because it is much lower and smaller than the M3, but doesn't really stand a chance against it. I believe a better comparison is the E90 335i with a Procede. The cars are closer in price and the cost of tuning is comparable.

I'm now in my 30's and you're absolutely right. The main reason I sold the Evo was because I couldn't really take myself seriously when I would walk out to it and get in. I decided to sell it the day I saw some douchebag behind me in a WRX wearing his hat sideways, knowing I was in the same class of car as this guy. . I also got tired of explaining to people what an Evo was.

Drive what you like; enjoy it; and quit worrying about who's faster because we're all just as slow as the guy in front of us. Trust me, I know I live near DC now.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 04:23 PM   #40
Peteypab2133
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longbow64 View Post
Well, this is an interesting thread. I recently sold my Evo IX SE and bought an 09 E90 M3. I love reading about these guys who estimate their horsepower and never get a real dyno assoicated with it. I spent close to $2000 in performance mods with an AMS turbo exhaust $1100 (much lounder than stock, so factor in another discomfort to driving; and won't pass emissions), Perrin intake $200, O2 housing $150, AMS lower intercooler pipe $100, and a dyno tune from a well respected tuning company in Pennsylvania $450. This still only got me to 315hp/292tq on a mustang dyno. You could mod the crap out of the Evo for relatively cheap, but each mod comes at a cost to comfort, resale, emissions, etc.

The evo feels faster because it is much lower and smaller than the M3, but doesn't really stand a chance against it. I believe a better comparison is the E90 335i with a Procede. The cars are closer in price and the cost of tuning is comparable.

I'm now in my 30's and you're absolutely right. The main reason I sold the Evo was because I couldn't really take myself seriously when I would walk out to it and get in. I decided to sell it the day I saw some douchebag behind me in a WRX wearing his hat sideways, knowing I was in the same class of car as this guy. . I also got tired of explaining to people what an Evo was.

Drive what you like; enjoy it; and quit worrying about who's faster because we're all just as slow as the guy in front of us. Trust me, I know I live near DC now.
I respect your opinion and i understand where you are coming from. But the mods you listed were fine but buying ams parts are expensive. $1100 for a TBE is about the 2nd or 3rd most expensive. A metal pipe with a whole does the same from every company. Paying for the name AMS..

02 housings creates boost creeps quite often on evos

Not sure where you had the car tuned in PA but that makes no sense to me.

TPG, SBR, J&S? Which shop tuned it. Just curious bc the only import tuner is J&S that has a mustang. So it sounds like you were maybe at a "shop" who maybe took a stab at ecuflash or something

Look, im not here to argue. I have owned the car for 5 years. I have had the car built at one point with EVERY part available to make 700whp. I just dont understand how defensive M3 owners are. Hp/weight ratios do not lie, then add awd to the mix.

I am not trying to fight with people, its the ignorant comments that are jabs from people who dont even probably know how to change thier own oil that are getting on my nerves.

Sorry for the rant, and sorry for words that are spelled wrong. Iphone

2013 GT500 + 2006 E90
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 06:07 PM   #41
Longbow64
_______
Rep

The tuning shop was CBRD. Not some shop taking a stab at tuning. Sure, putting a metal pipe on your car is an option, but having quality parts that prolong and enhance performance was the goal. Any shop can crank up the boost and dyno impressive numbers at the expense of your engine. I was just weighing in on my first hand experience with both cars. I enjoyed my Evo, but it was time to move on. I'm not sure who doesn't know how to change their oil, but why do it yourself when BMW does it for you.
      12-23-2010, 08:31 AM   #42
Longbow64
_______
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
When I drove the Porsche most folks thought I'm a total douchebag.... now since I drive the M3, folks just think I'm a dick.
Now that's the look I was going for.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 07:07 PM   #43
Peteypab2133
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longbow64 View Post
The tuning shop was CBRD. Not some shop taking a stab at tuning. Sure, putting a metal pipe on your car is an option, but having quality parts that prolong and enhance performance was the goal. Any shop can crank up the boost and dyno impressive numbers at the expense of your engine. I was just weighing in on my first hand experience with both cars. I enjoyed my Evo, but it was time to move on. I'm not sure who doesn't know how to change their oil, but why do it yourself when BMW does it for you.
CBRD is a great shop. Its like walking into a hospital it was so clean.

From my understanding and talking to a few people who ran the dyno there they claimed that the dyno is very low reading. So much so that it is less than the mustang at buschur racing.

I feel guilty because I was being such a douche earlier, but I was trying to not be biased. I know I am an evo owner, I own a E90 as well, and was planning to purchase either an E92 m3 or a new 1m next year. BUT, I am still thinking that over.

Both cars are great, they are just 2 total different machines, and do 2 total different things.

The M3 truly is a track monster, and looks great too. I think the price is a tad inflated and that similar performance can be had for half the price, but at the cost of losing the luxury stand point.

At this point I am going to step down from the argument and try to salvage my rep here lol.

have a merry xmas all

2013 GT500 + 2006 E90
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 09:08 PM   #44
mazda3ndp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E9x M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteypab2133 View Post
CBRD is a great shop. Its like walking into a hospital it was so clean.

From my understanding and talking to a few people who ran the dyno there they claimed that the dyno is very low reading. So much so that it is less than the mustang at buschur racing.

I feel guilty because I was being such a douche earlier, but I was trying to not be biased. I know I am an evo owner, I own a E90 as well, and was planning to purchase either an E92 m3 or a new 1m next year. BUT, I am still thinking that over.

Both cars are great, they are just 2 total different machines, and do 2 total different things.

The M3 truly is a track monster, and looks great too. I think the price is a tad inflated and that similar performance can be had for half the price, but at the cost of losing the luxury stand point.

At this point I am going to step down from the argument and try to salvage my rep here lol.

have a merry xmas all

Just when it was getting exciting! just playing. best of luck with your evo and e90.
Appreciate 0