BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

Mporium BMW

12-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep
Drives: Regensburg Factory E92M3

list your interior/instruments functionality dislikes

I've had my new 2013 ZCP M3 for over 4 mos. As this is my 1st BMW I was overwhelmed by the number of options I was not familiar with. Some Idrive options like split screen I admit I still don't understand the intended usefulness. But mostly I am very satisfied. Here is a list of little things that I dislike about the interior that I think come short of my expectations. I am curious if anyone share any of these, or has something to add ?

- Current radio station XXX.X FM is not displayed anywhere unless you touch the console keys or change the station. I believe firmly when a radio is on, it should be displayed at all times. As for example in traffic you might change the station from the wheel but are too busy on the road and can only peek at the Idrive screen a few seconds later, and you see NOTHING then. That sucks.

-Not enough programmable buttons. Should be at least 10 or 12+.
I already reserve two for idrive oil and onboard computer. That leaves only 5 for radio.

-Radio volume knob is minuscule. I know there is volume buttons on the wheel but why did they have to make the main one so tiny ?

-windshield, face, feet vents electronic ON/OFF is deactivated in AUTO AC mode. Why can I not choose what vent I want on and which one I want off, in AUTO mode ?

-AC not cool enough. Ok this is off topic. But my new car AC isn't cooling well . I can have it run for half an hour in auto while driving and the interior temp measured independently with a reliable thermometer is still 8 deg F higher than what is on the BMW display. Even if I increase the AUTO strength to max. Still not right.

-Half ass job on the automated seat belt dispensers. My 1992 Nissan maxima did a much better job with automated seat belt dispensers. Faster. More reachable. Not some measly plastic guides. It works but looks like it was added without enough thinking.

-Idrive reactivity slowwww. When I click on something on the IDrive why does it take like 0.3-0.5 seconds to respond ? Looks like it is an intentional added delay. Anything slower than 0.1 seconds is human detectable. Same for the navigation exploring mode, so damn slow (I know 2008 Idrive was even slower).

-I have the premium interior with extended leather. But the plastic they use at other places easily gets marks if you rub (door sills).

-Having to do a double take to open doors when you are inside the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 11:41 PM   #2
speedaddictM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

-Power window switches are too far forward. I regularly find myself pushing the rear window switch accidentally while trying to open/close a front window.

-No way to switch off the mirror auto-dimming function. I find that it dims too much to the point that the mirrors can be useless while driving on dark highways.

- No OFF button for the AC. Seriously, having to tap the fan low button half a dozen times to shut off the AC is ridiculous. A $70k car and no one thought to add a damn OFF switch to the AC?

-No way to link both driver and passenger temp control into one knob. I believe this was fixed in 2012 but on older models if you drive alone (which in my case is 99% of the time), you have to turn both knobs separately to adjust the cabin temp.

-No intermittent wiper function. You are stuck with the rain sensing wiper functionality. that's ok if it worked properly, but it doesn't. For some reason, very tiny droplets of rain are not detected by the sensor and can accumulate and almost blind your vision before the wipers are activated. It's not too bad with larger drops of water, but always happens to me in very light rain.

-Speaking of which, the only way to know if the rain sensing wipers are activated is by the illumination of a very tiny LED on the wiper stalk. That LED is perfectly positioned to be totally blocked off by the steering wheel from my seat angle, which means I have to move my head and take my eyes off the road to see if the damn LED is on.

-The tachometer is too small and offset to the side instead of being large and at the centre of the instrument cluster like it should. It makes it very hard to keep it in the peripheral vision while driving. And let's not mention the inexcusable and inexplicable lack of proper shift lights on the manual cars. Both of these problems are inexcusable on a so-called "driver's car".

- BMW's touch-based comfort access door lock/unlock is garbage and doesn't work half the time. My previous car was a Nissan and the comfort access was a button that you push to lock/unlock the door. worked like a charm every time. I never had to reach for the key fob like I sometimes do with the M3.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep

Interesting.. I agree with some of yours but not all:

-power switches position too far forward agreed. But it is relatively minor. Plus I always never open windows. I want to keep the interior new, no dust coming in from the windows.

-No way to switch off the mirror auto-dimming function. I find that it dims too much to the point that the mirrors can be useless while driving on dark highways.
Agree but i found the auto-dimming is fine after you get used to it, you do see car headlights well enough.

- No OFF button for the AC.
Agreed. My 1992 nissan maxima SE beat the AC on the M3 both in controls and effectiveness.

-No way to link both driver and passenger temp control into one knob.
I didn't know that since I have a 2013. That sure is unforgivable.

-No intermittent wiper function. You are stuck with the rain sensing wiper functionality. that's ok if it worked properly, but it doesn't. For some reason, very tiny droplets of rain are not detected by the sensor and can accumulate and almost blind your vision before the wipers are activated. It's not too bad with larger drops of water, but always happens to me in very light rain.

Well, mine works perfectly even in light drizzle so not complaining on that.

-The tachometer is too small and offset to the side instead of being large and at the centre of the instrument cluster like it should. It makes it very hard to keep it in the peripheral vision while driving. And let's not mention the inexcusable and inexplicable lack of proper shift lights on the manual cars. Both of these problems are inexcusable on a so-called "driver's car".

I fail to understand, the tachometer is plenty big.
shift lights, i did not even realize it, but yes it would have been nice.

- BMW's touch-based comfort access door lock/unlock is garbage and doesn't work half the time. My previous car was a Nissan and the comfort access was a button that you push to lock/unlock the door. worked like a charm every time. I never had to reach for the key fob like I sometimes do with the M3.

I agree that comfort access is useless. They should have spent that money on designing an AC that works like it should. which reminds me one more thing: NO cabin ambiant temperature display. I guess that is on purpose so you don't see how a shitty job the AC does to regulate temperature in the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
M3AG
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP, 6MT

>>-No way to link both driver and passenger temp control into one knob.
>>I didn't know that since I have a 2013. That sure is unforgivable.

You can lock both temps. Use "ALL" see page 116 (owners manual)

>> BMW's touch-based comfort access door lock/unlock is garbage and doesn't work half the time. My previous car was a Nissan and the comfort access was a button that you push to lock/unlock the door. worked like a charm every time. I never had to reach for the key fob like I sometimes do with the M3.

On my 13 M3 works great and my friend's G35 is very moody.
Attached Images

Last edited by M3AG; 12-22-2013 at 10:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #5
M3AG
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

>> Current radio station XXX.X FM is not displayed anywhere unless you touch the console keys or change the station. I believe firmly when a radio is on, it should be displayed at all times. As for example in traffic you might change the station from the wheel but are too busy on the road and can only peek at the Idrive screen a few seconds later, and you see NOTHING then. That sucks.

Not sure what you mean?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
M3AG
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

>>Some Idrive options like split screen I admit I still don't understand the intended usefulness.

Split screen is one of the best features of iDrive. You can view 2 different screen at the same time, i.e. Have your Radio/ipod on one side and GPS or iDrive menu on the other side.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3AG View Post
You can lock both temps. Use "ALL" see page 116 (owners manual)
I knew that already. What I said is I didn't know is that earlier models didn't have the option to lock both temp.

Quote:
On my 13 M3 works great and my friend's G35 is very moody.
Works fine on mine 13 M3 too. For the trunk you are actually supposed to hold the FOB button down for at least 2 seconds or touch it for two seconds. I don't understand why german think slower commands is better (just like the idrive, damn too slow and it looks like they introduced delays on purpose !!)
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #8
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep

Quote:
>> Current radio station XXX.X FM is not displayed anywhere unless you touch the console keys or change the station. I believe firmly when a radio is on, it should be displayed at all times. As for example in traffic you might change the station from the wheel but are too busy on the road and can only peek at the Idrive screen a few seconds later, and you see NOTHING then. That sucks.

Not sure what you mean?
Êtes-vous Canadien français ? Je suis bilingue.
You did not understand what I meant. I said when I select an already programmed radio station by pushing one of the 1-7 buttons OR on the wheel , the station frequency shows but then quickly disappear from the screen. When driving in traffic and you cycle through station and stop on one of them your eyes might be on the road then as you look at the idrive screen a few seconds later (when safety permits) the current active radio station IS NOT DISPLAYED. I do not want to have to go into the RADIO menu everytime to see the station frequency. That is a complete fail !
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #9
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep

Quote:
>>Some Idrive options like split screen I admit I still don't understand the intended usefulness.

Split screen is one of the best features of iDrive. You can view 2 different screen at the same time, i.e. Have your Radio/ipod on one side and GPS or iDrive menu on the other side.
Now that I did not know. that is really cool, I have to try that. Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 04:45 PM   #10
M3AG
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsweet View Post
Êtes-vous Canadien français ? Je suis bilingue.
You did not understand what I meant. I said when I select an already programmed radio station by pushing one of the 1-7 buttons OR on the wheel , the station frequency shows but then quickly disappear from the screen. When driving in traffic and you cycle through station and stop on one of them your eyes might be on the road then as you look at the idrive screen a few seconds later (when safety permits) the current active radio station IS NOT DISPLAYED. I do not want to have to go into the RADIO menu everytime to see the station frequency. That is a complete fail !
No! Don't speak French. Use split screen and your radio stations stay on. My M3 shows the stations on the right top corner of iDrive (without split screen except office and any phone related menu) if the station broadcast RDS signal.

Last edited by M3AG; 12-22-2013 at 04:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 04:56 PM   #11
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep

Quote:
No! Don't speak French. Use split screen and your radio stations stay on. My M3 shows the stations on the right top corner of iDrive (without split screen except office and any phone related menu) if the station broadcast RDS signal.
two days of continuous rain, I have not taken the M3 out. I'll try to play more with the split screen options but as far as I can tell some of the emitting stations I am tuned to broadcast rds and it's still not permanently visible OUTSIDE the radio menu.

Gatineau.. ahhh that belongs to the part of Canada that was stolen by the English from the French in the XVIII century while they were too busy in central Europe warring the Prussians. They never got it back but the French street names remains as seen in your idrive. Here is an interesting anecdote I read about that time of history. Some of the ministers in England at the time considered giving the french colonies they took back to France because having a french colony up north from their north east american colonies could dissuade the american settlers from the idea of breaking their ties with the mother land. But England did not follow suit to that idea mainly because the leading foreign minister of the time a named Pitt was obstinate trying to humiliate the French. Later he was fired from the British government for trying to pull the same attitude on Spain and met fierce opposition in England. But the French Canadian colonies remained with England. Ironically the Americans did revolt against the mother country. It's all history.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #12
M3AG
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
two days of continuous rain, I have not taken the M3 out. I'll try to play more with the split screen options but as far as I can tell some of the emitting stations I am tuned to broadcast rds and it's still not permanently visible OUTSIDE the radio menu.

Gatineau.. ahhh that belongs to the part of Canada that was stolen by the English from the French in the XVIII century while they were too busy in central Europe warring the Prussians. They never got it back but the French street names remains as seen in your idrive. Here is an interesting anecdote I read about that time of history. Some of the ministers in England at the time considered giving the french colonies they took back to France because having a french colony up north from their north east american colonies could dissuade the american settlers from the idea of breaking their ties with the mother land. But England did not follow suit to that idea mainly because the leading foreign minister of the time a named Pitt was obstinate trying to humiliate the French. Later he was fired from the British government for trying to pull the same attitude on Spain and met fierce opposition in England. But the French Canadian colonies remained with England. Ironically the Americans did revolt against the mother country. It's all history.
Good to know.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 10:39 PM   #13
fbm3cab
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Now that I did not know. that is really cool, I have to try that. Thanks !
When in spllt screen mode the navi also displays more detailed 3d graphics when approaching certain intersections, a feature that doesn't happen if your using the navi in single screen mode.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #14
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbm3cab View Post
When in spllt screen mode the navi also displays more detailed 3d graphics when approaching certain intersections, a feature that doesn't happen if your using the navi in single screen mode.
I got the split screen but how to get the map on the left side and the onboard computer info on the smaller right side like showing on M3AG sixth snapshot above and not the other way round. I always get the map in the small right section side and the computer info on the big left. I tried to reverse the order I ask for them, it did not matter.

I noticed that the HD option was unchecked under RADIO option, after checking it, I seem to be getting the radio name and frequency displayed at all time on the top banner. The funny thing is that the RDS option was already checked but I was not getting the info with that alone.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 12:18 PM   #15
M3AG
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I got the split screen but how to get the map on the left side and the onboard computer info on the smaller right side like showing on M3AG sixth snapshot above and not the other way round. I always get the map in the small right section side and the computer info on the big left. I tried to reverse the order I ask for them, it did not matter.

I noticed that the HD option was unchecked under RADIO option, after checking it, I seem to be getting the radio name and frequency displayed at all time on the top banner. The funny thing is that the RDS option was already checked but I was not getting the info with that alone.
To get the nav on left and info on right.
-Push the "Nav" button.
-Push the "Option" -> Select "Split screen".
-Use the iDrive knob and select the right screen.
-click "Split screen content" and select one of the available screens.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #16
Craigy
Sporty Puristic 6
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Yeah no link for the driver/passenger climate control is dumb. Also I could live without the separate hot cold switch under the vents.

Door pulls bubbling is pretty terrible, but at least it comes off clean and looks better underneath.

No off button for a/c however doesn't bother me.

Also I like how few buttons there are (relatively speaking). Adding too many more buttons would be a mistake.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #17
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigy View Post
Yeah no link for the driver/passenger climate control is dumb. Also I could live without the separate hot cold switch under the vents.

Door pulls bubbling is pretty terrible, but at least it comes off clean and looks better underneath.

No off button for a/c however doesn't bother me.

Also I like how few buttons there are (relatively speaking). Adding too many more buttons would be a mistake.
Are you kidding ? I absolutely need that hot cold switch under the vent, without it my AC is not cold enough!

Am I the only one who thinks the radio knob is minuscule, and you have to rotate it like 3 full rotations to get from no volume to normal level ?
Also there is no circumference light around it, it is hard to see it at night.
I prefer a larger knob with less rotations needed.

Is there are way to make the driver door open the first time when you pull the door lever when the engine is already stopped ?? I hate that double take. Is this some kind of a design bug ?

My 1992 maxima SE had better interior controls for AC and radio and the audio sound was way better sounding. I mean way better. That was a Bose system. Not saying Bose is better or worse but by my ears it was superior to the EPS in the M3.

Also the manual stick was covered all over with quality leather. I do not like the plastic cap on top of the M3 shift stick.

The level of luxury in those 1990's model year maxima (not talking about post 2000's) which was a non luxury car was better than a present day luxury BMW M3
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 02:00 AM   #18
M3AG
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Is there are way to make the driver door open the first time when you pull the door lever when the engine is already stopped ?? I hate that double take. Is this some kind of a design bug ?
My driver door always open the first time. There is a setting somewhere in iDrive about how to lock and unlock doors.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 02:47 AM   #19
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
My driver door always open the first time. There is a setting somewhere in iDrive about how to lock and unlock doors.
I dont think there is a setting built into the menu (at least not in the pre 2011s). People that want to get rid of this feature have to have it coded into the car. Some of the other features can probably be modified via coding as well, such as auto headlight on sensitivity, possibly amount of dimming on mirrors, ect. Get with some of the folks here in the forum that do coding and bounce some ideas off of them to see what can be done. Go into the "Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav" section and do some research.

A few of these issues can be resolved by reading the manual... Someone already addressed that.

But other things I cannot understand either such as the functionality of the wiper sensor and the lack of actual intermittent wipers and the "hidden" LED on the stalk. My wifes X5 has the same thing and it is even worse than the M3. At least in the car it works a bit better. I always have to hit the stalk in her car.
      12-28-2013, 09:39 AM   #20
speedaddictM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoblotto View Post
I dont think there is a setting built into the menu (at least not in the pre 2011s). People that want to get rid of this feature have to have it coded into the car. Some of the other features can probably be modified via coding as well, such as auto headlight on sensitivity, possibly amount of dimming on mirrors, ect. Get with some of the folks here in the forum that do coding and bounce some ideas off of them to see what can be done. Go into the "Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav" section and do some research.

A few of these issues can be resolved by reading the manual... Someone already addressed that.

But other things I cannot understand either such as the functionality of the wiper sensor and the lack of actual intermittent wipers and the "hidden" LED on the stalk. My wifes X5 has the same thing and it is even worse than the M3. At least in the car it works a bit better. I always have to hit the stalk in her car.
regarding the double door pull, you can override that in the iDrive menu by canceling the auto-lock feature at speed. This way the doors will not automatically lock when you start driving the car. With the door unlocked it opens with just one pull of the handle. And yes I totally agree with everything you said about the wipers
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #21
M3AG
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoblotto View Post

Change the "Auto-Lock" settings in iDrive do the trick. It's on Page 35 owner's manual, "Lock after Start to Drive". I agree with you on the wiper settings.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #22
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedaddictM3 View Post
regarding the double door pull, you can override that in the iDrive menu by canceling the auto-lock feature at speed. This way the doors will not automatically lock when you start driving the car. With the door unlocked it opens with just one pull of the handle.
Quote:
Change the "Auto-Lock" settings in iDrive do the trick. It's on Page 35 owner's manual, "Lock after Start to Drive".
That is better than nothing I guess, but still a bug IMO. Why does the driver door has to be locked from the inside. We are talking about the driver not the back or passenger seats. If the car is stopped and the driver pulls the door lever from the inside there is absolutely no valid reason why the door should refuse to open. I bet bmw is imagining some crazy scenario where a thug attacks a stopped car with driver inside, breaks the window to open the door from the inside. Delusional bmw engineers watching too B series movies..
Appreciate 0