BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

01-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #23
Mr_PharmD
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

I'm sorry for the lost but I'm sort of confused? U have a shop of ure own but still insisted on taking to AA to get the work done when u could have saved the extra money on labor and made sure everything was in order? Also, when do shops offer warranty on aftermarket parts? I'm surprised that AA would even give back partial refund unless the sc was the reason why the motor blew up and not bc the motor just seized up due to weak oem internals.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #24
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_PharmD View Post
I'm sorry for the lost but I'm sort of confused? U have a shop of ure own but still insisted on taking to AA to get the work done when u could have saved the extra money on labor and made sure everything was in order? Also, when do shops offer warranty on aftermarket parts? I'm surprised that AA would even give back partial refund unless the sc was the reason why the motor blew up and not bc the motor just seized up due to weak oem internals.
I had wondered the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #25
US///M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
Too bad it had to happen this way, unfortunately, unless a person has a binding contract with the tuner stating that they will give a limited warranty on parts and labour to fix a customers car in the event of a failure, it is not common for them to step up to the plate and cover the cost of repairs to a customers car. I do think it was amazingly sneaky and criminal for them suggest putting the car back to stock and have the repair done under warranty.

I for one believe that a person modifies a car at their own risk. It is one thing to put an exhaust, software or an intake on a car, and most dealers that are mod friendly will over look stuff like that. With a supercharger however, the power increase is quite significant and the software and other fuel system mods to run it are quite a departure from OEM. Basically if a person wants the power levels that are associated with a supercharged M3 and still have a warranty, that person needs to look at buying a different car.

I guess this proves that Gintani went over and above the norm by covering the cost for Drew's engine. No matter what a person thinks about Gintani's parts, what they did in that case was definitely a good gesture on their behalf!
+1 Gintani guys are a class act.

Maybe supercharging and increasing the Redline on a engine that's marginally lubricated(bearings) for high rpm ops in stock form under extreme conditions(track) is a bad idea.

Maybe lowering the redline might help the rod bearing lubrification...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 08:55 PM   #26
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by US///M3 View Post
+1 Gintani guys are a class act.

Maybe supercharging and increasing the Redline on a engine that's marginally lubricated(bearings) for high rpm ops in stock form under extreme conditions(track) is a bad idea.

Maybe lowering the redline might help the rod bearing lubrification...
AA does lower the redline on supercharged tunes
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 08:58 PM   #27
US///M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
AA does lower the redline on supercharged tunes
Thanks,I didn't know that.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 09:06 PM   #28
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White

Interesting to hear your side of the story...

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 09:06 PM   #29
US///M3
Banned
Rep

The car had a recorded top speed of 198 mph.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 09:09 PM   #30
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

Wish AA would come in here...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #31
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post
Wish AA would come in here...
Thread is probably going to get deleted before

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 09:12 PM   #32
tha_good_life
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X6MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X6MC  [10.00]
2010 BMW M3  [8.68]
Looks like you might have a case similar to this

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=635377
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 09:26 PM   #33
mpbruin108
Mpbruin108
Rep
Drives: I'm a hypermiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by US///M3 View Post
The car had a recorded top speed of 198 mph.
How does the car record a top speed of 198? Is there a black box of some sort in this car?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 09:27 PM   #34
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpbruin108 View Post
How does the car record a top speed of 198? Is there a black box of some sort in this car?
Must be since the dealer can tell the revs, etc when they take your fob and plug it in.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #35
US///M3
Banned
Rep

If it wasn't for the recorded top speed of 198mph, I m wondering if BMW could've been fooled?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 10:03 PM   #36
Merked M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

I thought that these supercharger installs came with a 2 year warranty from AA not BMW!?

I know that Sonic MS's AA superchargers come with 2yr unlimited warranty, so does this just vary from installer to installer?

The next car, my Porsche Cayman S

Last edited by Merked M3; 01-17-2012 at 10:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 10:06 PM   #37
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merked M3 View Post
I thought that these supercharger installs came with a 2 year warranty from AA not BMW!?
Even if it did, the warranty would be for the s/c parts only most likely.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 11:16 PM   #38
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by img View Post
In case of an accident ,Yes !
meaning rear ending another car and crack your motor,they will cover under insurance.but if you are driving the car and BOOM...................you are on your own.
Ooo

I have heard of engines catching on fire and insurance covering it? I don't know the specifics.
But my GUESS is overheat? no idea..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 11:28 PM   #39
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge2Dub View Post
They can void the warranty on the effected emissions parts, not on the entire vehicle warranty.
They can void the entire emissions warranty (all emissions parts) but not the new car warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 11:47 PM   #40
Poofyo101
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
1990 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPoweredAuto View Post
Granted I didn't express to them that it had been modified, but I didn't tell them it hadn't. I simply stated to the service writer that I was driving down the highway and the engine blew. I know I should have placed the blame on Active from the start.
Jordan,
Sorry to hear that it never worked out with AA. I can vouch for the OP and he is a good guy and does own his own shop.
      01-17-2012, 11:57 PM   #41
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Even if it did, the warranty would be for the s/c parts only most likely.
+1 It would definitely only be for the SC!

Imagine getting a 25K engine + labour for the purchase of a ~$14-16k supercharger kit. Those numbers don't add up!

Here are the terms and conditions off of AA's site:

This warranty is limited to repairs and/or replacement of the product or part found to be defective without charge. Active Autowerke reserves the right to refund the complete purchase price for the defective item and will not be held liable for losses or damages arising from the defect.
If a part or a component from an Active Autowerke product, system or kit is found to be defective, this warranty shall apply only to the defective part or component and shall not require Active Autowerke to repair, replace or refund the complete Active Autowerke product, system or kit.
Active Autowerke cannot accept freight costs of any returned merchandise to Active Autowerke for inspection and/or returns. A 20% handling charge for all returns may be applied.
Under the stipulations of this warranty, Active Autowerke will in no way be liable for exceeding the original purchase price of the defective product. This warranty does not include the cost of removal or reinstallation of the product. No person or representative is authorized to extend any warranty and/or liability (other than that which has been expressed herein) in connection with the sale of any Active Autowerke product.
Active Autowerke disclaims any and all liability for any implied warranties, including the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a specific purpose. Under no circumstances shall Active Autowerke be liable for any incidental, indirect, specific or consequential damages arising from purchaser's use of the product.

To the OP: Being an AA Dealer you should be aware of their terms and conditions. If you are going to sell a product you need to know the legal side of things so you can inform your customers, and not sell products under false pretences.

Mods like this are always at the owners own risk...... You gotta pay to play!
      01-18-2012, 12:05 AM   #42
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Sorry to hear this OP.
Wondering why AA didn't delete the top speed reading?

And in before the thread DELETE.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 12:09 AM   #43
SIIK2NR
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

F'n Shady business.... AA showed their ass... Their business should be outta business.
2004 AP2 S2000 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 12:19 AM   #44
zamm3k
Bla!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
+1 It would definitely only be for the SC!

Imagine getting a 25K engine + labour for the purchase of a ~$14-16k supercharger kit. Those numbers don't add up!

Here are the terms and conditions off of AA's site:

This warranty is limited to repairs and/or replacement of the product or part found to be defective without charge. Active Autowerke reserves the right to refund the complete purchase price for the defective item and will not be held liable for losses or damages arising from the defect.
If a part or a component from an Active Autowerke product, system or kit is found to be defective, this warranty shall apply only to the defective part or component and shall not require Active Autowerke to repair, replace or refund the complete Active Autowerke product, system or kit.
Active Autowerke cannot accept freight costs of any returned merchandise to Active Autowerke for inspection and/or returns. A 20% handling charge for all returns may be applied.
Under the stipulations of this warranty, Active Autowerke will in no way be liable for exceeding the original purchase price of the defective product. This warranty does not include the cost of removal or reinstallation of the product. No person or representative is authorized to extend any warranty and/or liability (other than that which has been expressed herein) in connection with the sale of any Active Autowerke product.
Active Autowerke disclaims any and all liability for any implied warranties, including the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a specific purpose. Under no circumstances shall Active Autowerke be liable for any incidental, indirect, specific or consequential damages arising from purchaser's use of the product.

To the OP: Being an AA Dealer you should be aware of their terms and conditions. If you are going to sell a product you need to know the legal side of things so you can inform your customers, and not sell products under false pretences.

Mods like this are always at the owners own risk...... You gotta pay to play!
I don't think the OP was expecting to get a whole new engine (or maybe he was). But under the circumstances (the engine blew after 1200 miles) I think he was expecting a bit more from AA, which is honestly, totally reasonable. It's one thing to blow an engine after 10,000 miles of driving a supercharged S65, it's another to blow it before you've even broken in the supercharger system. All in all, technically, AA didn't do anything wrong. Morally and ethically, they F'ed Up.