BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

02-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
M3takesNYC
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

new 328i experience

First, I am not comparing these two cars in terms of thinking they would be even close to equal but given the praises sung by everyone about the new 328, I was extremely unimpressed! The lag is absolutely ridiculous. I finally realized I had to time my maneuvering by knowing I hit the pedal and counted by 1 one thousand to know when the car would move in order to change lanes with any type of traffic behind. Obviously lag is a given but really pronounced even on sport plus.

The power was simply nothing how people seemed to rave about it. It had a acceptable level of pull but felt marginally faster than the outgoing inline 6.

Personally I would take the slower inline 6 with zero lag than this setup.

Steering was terrible, super light even on max setting. I didn't bother judging the real driving or cornering as this was not a sport-setup.

I just really thought this would be comparable to a 335i or atleast pretty close given the reviews but it was absolutely nowhere near and painfully boring to drive.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #2
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

A 4 banger can't come close to a 335i

That's not the way BMW should go.
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

That lag is not turbo lag, it's BMW's craptastic e-throttle being terribly tuned. It's rediculous and is the number one thing I dislike about this engine. Press pedal, wait 1-1.5 seconds before the gas is actually engaged. You really do have to plan to hit the gas before you actually want to move. I even experimented with sitting at a stop light and tapping the gas repeatedly with no engine response whatsoever. Then I put it in neutral and park and it's nicely responsive. wtf is that?

I tried to get the dealer to do something about it in our X1 but of course "there is nothing wrong". Somehow I didn't pay enough attention to this before we bought. Thank goodness it's my wife's DD and not mine and she doesn't care.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

Not only does it not compare to the m3 in any way but it also is a down grade compared to the e90 328i. I went to test drive it to replace my wife's 10 328i sport pack. And it was one of the biggest disappointments. The only pros was the updated styling interior/exterior and superior gas mileage. Other than that all of the driving dynamics felt pretty dumbed down and more commuterish than the standard BMW taught feeling. And yes I drove the m-sport.

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 10:43 PM   #5
M3takesNYC
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
That lag is not turbo lag, it's BMW's craptastic e-throttle being terribly tuned. It's rediculous and is the number one thing I dislike about this engine. Press pedal, wait 1-1.5 seconds before the gas is actually engaged. You really do have to plan to hit the gas before you actually want to move. I even experimented with sitting at a stop light and tapping the gas repeatedly with no engine response whatsoever. Then I put it in neutral and park and it's nicely responsive. wtf is that?

I tried to get the dealer to do something about it in our X1 but of course "there is nothing wrong". Somehow I didn't pay enough attention to this before we bought. Thank goodness it's my wife's DD and not mine and she doesn't care.
No this is definetly turbo lag. You could feel the turbo swoosh kick in after a few seconds. Much differenrt than a throttle lag which I had on my old 530i e60 I6 engine. Took a sprint booster to remedy.

This was classic turbo lag. Press pedal, barely moves (but it moves which is different than throttle delay) and than a woosh, only it is a mild woosh and creates no fun, no nothing.

Really a disapointing car after the e90 lineup
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #6
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

If that's the case then yeah not throttle lag. I haven't driven a 328i but I assumed it was the same issue as our x1 28i.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
swein1992
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 Silverstone

I drove the 328i xdrive and I am satisfied with the power. It is not that bad when you switch to sport mode. The biggest problem is the steering. The electric system just ruined everything. It is way too light. Even though it is still accurate, it just doesn't have the same steering feeling as the old 3 series. Plus the engine doesn't sound as good as before at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 09:52 PM   #8
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by swein1992 View Post
I drove the 328i xdrive and I am satisfied with the power. It is not that bad when you switch to sport mode. The biggest problem is the steering. The electric system just ruined everything. It is way too light. Even though it is still accurate, it just doesn't have the same steering feeling as the old 3 series. Plus the engine doesn't sound as good as before at all.
Agree. That's why we're looking at an X1, which still has the hydraulic setup.

But it's funny, I had an X1 loaner for a few days and didn't notice any throttle lag at all. Turbo lag was there but about on par with the 335.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #9
El_Duderino
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by swein1992 View Post
Agreed. I have a 328xi as a loaner while my M3 has some issues worked out. The new 328xi is a complete disappointment. Although the interior and exterior, in my opinion, have been nicely improved, the car has lost a tremendous amount in the handling and performance department when compared to the previous generation.

The electric steering coupled with incredibly soft suspension give the car a "floaty" ride...not unlike the Impala the dealership provided the last time my M3 was in for service. I had absolutely no sense what the tires were doing secondary to the numb electric steering and soft suspension. In comparison, I could confidently toss ANY BMW from the previous generation into a corner without concern.

As far as the throttle responsiveness...there isn't any. I have experienced what both of the above posters mentioned -- unacceptable throttle sensitivity (or lack thereof) and certainly turbo lag as well. This is very slightly improved by switching to "Sport" or "Sport Plus".

Overall, an incredibly disappointing, very "unBMW-like" vehicle.
      03-16-2013, 09:34 PM   #10
catherineanh
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 435xi M Sport

i felt like i was driving a honda civic when i drove the f30 328i.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 08:36 PM   #11
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy
Not only does it not compare to the m3 in any way but it also is a down grade compared to the e90 328i. I went to test drive it to replace my wife's 10 328i sport pack. And it was one of the biggest disappointments. The only pros was the updated styling interior/exterior and superior gas mileage. Other than that all of the driving dynamics felt pretty dumbed down and more commuterish than the standard BMW taught feeling. And yes I drove the m-sport.
Lol! I'm quoting myself and contradicting myself at the same time. Just picked up a 328i for my wife's commuter. Took it through the canyons and the suspension is a bit soft but surprisingly very little understeer, which makes it fun to drive. The steering is a huge downgrade from the e90. Where whenever I got behind the wheel of the e90, I'd want to drive hard, but the f30 emits a more muted steering, which causes you to drive slower the car just doesn't poke and prod you to drive enthusiastically as the steering of old. The car is no less capable if not more, but it lost its taught German/ BMW feel. It's become a great commuter that puts down great numbers for mag racers.

Btw bms has cracked 300whp with tube only....

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0