BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

05-14-2012, 07:30 PM   #45
1SIKM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

I'm keeping an eye on this... Can you be more specific on price... Been thinking of the M24 upgrades...
Mod List: | ESS VT2-625 | Velos Designwerks Tune | HRE P40S | Brembo 380mm BBK | Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust | KW V3 Coilovers | Vorsteiner GTS3 Front Bumper | Vorsteiner Rear Diffuser 2 | BMW Blue PSW | BMW Performance Spoiler | BMW GTS Door Sills | BMW Performance High Gloss Black Grills & Gills | TiKORE Industries Titanium Lug Bolts | STRI Gauges |
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #46
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sevens.com View Post
I'm going to have to do without my M for a week or so when they take out the stock rad and oil cooler to measure, fab and fit Having gone through the trouble I might as well have them make a bunch

I don't know if you've done this yet or not, but I have my stock cooler stored in my garage in plastic. If you want to use it for measurements (I'm pretty close to you) I'm happy to send or maybe we'll cross paths at a track event (VIR 2 weeks from now?).
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #47
leo95se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3, '15 F15 X5d

Group buy for $1000 off? Lol
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 07:02 PM   #48
leo95se
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm going to have to do without my M for a week or so when they take out the stock rad and oil cooler to measure, fab and fit Having gone through the trouble I might as well have them make a bunch
I'd be seriously interested...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 08:03 PM   #49
quads
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: bac mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post
I don't know if you've done this yet or not, but I have my stock cooler stored in my garage in plastic. If you want to use it for measurements (I'm pretty close to you) I'm happy to send or maybe we'll cross paths at a track event (VIR 2 weeks from now?).
I would definitely take you up on the offer! PM me
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #50
VictorH
Major
Rep

Quote:
I would definitely take you up on the offer! PM me
Tried to but your PM message box is full and I can't send you a message.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #51
Mbauer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 187outx3

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo95se
Quote:
I'd be seriously interested...
I could use one
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #52
VictorH
Major
Rep

4Sevens, PM sent

Last edited by VictorH; 05-19-2012 at 07:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 06:57 PM   #53
leo95se
Captain
United_States
Rep

any movement on this? summer heat keeps temps at 180+. :/
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #54
quads
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: bac mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo95se View Post
any movement on this? summer heat keeps temps at 180+. :/
Soon - i'll have to post up a new thread with updates soon
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 07:10 PM   #55
leo95se
Captain
United_States
Rep

thanks man.. link into this thread so we can find it.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 07:33 PM   #56
surlynkid
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
very nice cooler but pricey. that is more than double what I paid for the GT4 power steering cooler, and that is a true BMW part. i sure like it though.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #57
Mbauer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 187outx3

Im working on manufacturing one.... for less
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 02:18 AM   #58
Triple M
Doc Rebel!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange M3, X5M, Blk 135

On the cooling topic, does anyone know if the M24 radiator any superior over the PWR unit turner ms (cheaper) say they run? We are already hitting 109F here in vegas. I do agree that staying 210-300 range for "prolong" period of time(versus dropping quicker) is likely unhealthy for the S65 on the long run. Few track days a year probably won't be an issue, but for some of us track addicts who also desire longevity, it's probably "reasonable" as we've seen quite a few heating issues on track events that have ended up with more than $1800 damage (as much as I would hate to pay that kind of money).

Last edited by Triple M; 06-22-2012 at 02:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 04:14 PM   #59
VictorH
Major
Rep

I thought I would post an update on the M24 oil cooler. I just got back from a 2 day event at Road America and I have now a two track comparison under similar conditions (temps) between pre and post oil cooler install.

First to clarify. I had posted earlier that I wasn't sure the M24 oil cooler provided a meaningful difference in max. oil temps, at least based on the stock oil temp gauge. I made a classic apples and oranges mistake of not comparing the performance under the same conditions. I ran my car at Barber after the oil cooler install and said I did not notice any diff in the max oil temp (running the mark between 210F and 300F) but that the oil temp "recovery" on cool down was much faster. I've been to Barber three times since the install and the issue is that oil temps at Barber are just hotter. The track is small, there is a fair amount of elevation change, speeds are lower and there is a lot of up and down speed changes, consequently the motor runs hotter. I had no stock oil cooler baseline at Barber, who knows maybe I would have gotten a limp mode.

I've been now to Road America twice (once pre and once post) and at least a half dozen times to VIR. At both VIR and Road America I can no longer get the oil temp to the mark between 210 and 300F, which was a regular occurrence previously. At Road America (it's always cooler there as the usual summer temps are in the mid 70sF as it was this past Monday and Tues (Badger Audi Club, Road America event) the oil temp would get up to the mid-point between 210 and the next mark up (the middle one between 210 &300).. At VIR even when the temps are in the mid 90s the needle still stays below that same mark. So, overall the M24 oil cooler is effective with lower oil temps on the stock BMW temp gauge as well as quicker recovery to stock temps on the cool down lap. In addition the oil cooling fins are easier to keep clean from bugs and debris given the design is a little bit more open that the stock oil cooler.

Overall, very satisfied with the performance of the oil cooler on the track (probably not a useful upgrade for street only use). Price as most of you know is expensive, but as they say, "pay for quality and only cry once."
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 04:36 PM   #60
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

for the guys looking into making there own Mocal makes very good units that will work w/ little work and are def cheaper. And Mocal is a great/reputable company
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 05:27 PM   #61
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH
I thought I would post an update on the M24 oil cooler. I just got back from a 2 day event at Road America and I have now a two track comparison under similar conditions (temps) between pre and post oil cooler install.

First to clarify. I had posted earlier that I wasn't sure the M24 oil cooler provided a meaningful difference in max. oil temps, at least based on the stock oil temp gauge. I made a classic apples and oranges mistake of not comparing the performance under the same conditions. I ran my car at Barber after the oil cooler install and said I did not notice any diff in the max oil temp (running the mark between 210F and 300F) but that the oil temp "recovery" on cool down was much faster. I've been to Barber three times since the install and the issue is that oil temps at Barber are just hotter. The track is small, there is a fair amount of elevation change, speeds are lower and there is a lot of up and down speed changes, consequently the motor runs hotter. I had no stock oil cooler baseline at Barber, who knows maybe I would have gotten a limp mode.

I've been now to Road America twice (once pre and once post) and at least a half dozen times to VIR. At both VIR and Road America I can no longer get the oil temp to the mark between 210 and 300F, which was a regular occurrence previously. At Road America (it's always cooler there as the usual summer temps are in the mid 70sF as it was this past Monday and Tues (Badger Audi Club, Road America event) the oil temp would get up to the mid-point between 210 and the next mark up (the middle one between 210 &300).. At VIR even when the temps are in the mid 90s the needle still stays below that same mark. So, overall the M24 oil cooler is effective with lower oil temps on the stock BMW temp gauge as well as quicker recovery to stock temps on the cool down lap. In addition the oil cooling fins are easier to keep clean from bugs and debris given the design is a little bit more open that the stock oil cooler.

Overall, very satisfied with the performance of the oil cooler on the track (probably not a useful upgrade for street only use). Price as most of you know is expensive, but as they say, "pay for quality and only cry once."
Great thorough review! Wish I would have been up at RA, but definitely feel the M24 helps. Ran her on a 102 day and flawless. By the end of the day most cars weren't even running period, and even my iPhone folded, but not the car. Love your line at the end, exactly how I feel. I'm a piece of mind guy and gladly pay up for it
      08-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #62
m3an
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3alabama View Post
Can anyone say why they know these engines cannot do just as well at 210 degrees for extended periods as it does with lower temps? If all fluids are changed regularly, proper warm up/cool down done-I don't see an issue with a modern engine designed to rev to 8400 rpms be able to function regularly, all day at 210 and above as long as its within the normal range. The computer will shut it down if it senses it overly hot and I have never heard limp mode existing on this car.

I know subjectively its nice to see the engine running cooler-but is there any objective data saying a hotter engine that is engineered to this degree is any worse off running those temps?
the car is fine running at temps; the oil is designed to operate between a varying scale of temp.. It'll work fine the way it is, but why not run it at the lower end of the spectrum. Makes sense?? It's really just personal perogative and prob overkill but to each their own. you like some things that some others don't.. don't look to far into it
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 08:18 PM   #63
roycemek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I'm convinced I need the cooler. I appreciate the OPs comments and review. I was just at California Speedway for an HPDE and ambient temps were in the high 90's to about 105 for most of the day. My oil temps about 10-15 mins into the sessions would climb to about just past middle mark between 210 and 300. That is the point where the idrive would display an excessive heat warning, at which point the DCT would delay shifts and revs would be limited. I tried another session running with the heater on but no luck. At 100+deg ambient temps and agressive driving the stock cooling capacity is being taxed and needs help. Funny someone else mentioned the iPhone overheating too. Mine would only last about 10mins before it shut down and needed to be cooled off.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 12:03 AM   #64
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Cooler IS USUALLY better on engines but not always-and you need to look at the specific engine IMO
I somewhat agree. The issue for oil coolers with no thermostat is the oil never gets warm and you get sludge and poor lubrication. But our cars have a thermostat built into the oil system so not running hot enough will not be an issue.

Our cars need more cooling capacity to be run for extended periods at the track. If your engine isn't overheating, its your tranny, or its your power steering or its your brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roycemek View Post
I'm convinced I need the cooler. I appreciate the OPs comments and review. I was just at California Speedway for an HPDE and ambient temps were in the high 90's to about 105 for most of the day. My oil temps about 10-15 mins into the sessions would climb to about just past middle mark between 210 and 300. That is the point where the idrive would display an excessive heat warning, at which point the DCT would delay shifts and revs would be limited. I tried another session running with the heater on but no luck. At 100+deg ambient temps and agressive driving the stock cooling capacity is being taxed and needs help. Funny someone else mentioned the iPhone overheating too. Mine would only last about 10mins before it shut down and needed to be cooled off.
How much were you shifting? I've found that if I go to 2nd for the slow, tight corners, the oil temps will get significantly higher vrs staying in 3rd.

I agree that I would get more oil cooling capacity if I were regularly tracking the car.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #65
m3an
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Problem is if you get the oil cooler and your engine runs cooler and you then push it even harder and maybe spend more time in 2nd than 3rd or whatever, then you are putting more strain on the tranny that otherwise would have been prevented by you being limited by engine oil temps. I think it provides a false sense of security for the other car parts since thinking engine oil is good-well all the other parts are now more stressed if you push it harder than usual.

I think there is a reason they put a certain size of cooler etc to run with all the other stock system. You cant have huge capacity in one component of the car without equal capacity in the others (tranny etc)

yes but again you're talking in extremes. We're not talking about running cold oil. Picture the oil operating over a spectrum of temps. The oil cooler is only slightly lowering that ## and in situations like road racing, then absolutely is it beneficial. On the street, not so much but it def won't hurt the car. I run in 100 deg temps all year w/ no issues but have been looking at getting a mocal cooler to run up front in place of the OE
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #66
roycemek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Something is not right with your car. Many have pushed the car running temps well above 210. Basically constantly at the tick before the very last one and never heard of anyone having the idrive give a warning for overheating.

Something is off with your car that is making something too hot in the engine itself
Just for clarification the tick mark between 210 and 300 I'm assuming to be 255degs. At that point the car is running fine. Its when that point is crossed just slightly, maybe 1/8 past that the message comes up on the idrive. I'm learning that the excessive heat warning message on the idrive is common for people that track their cars in hot climates. There was one other M3 that day that got the same idrive message. There was also a post some time ago where a few others also encountered the same problem at Buttonwillow in 100+deg heat. These are all case of running the cars on the track in 100+ degree heat. I would be suprised if this came up while driving on the streets. 20-30 min sessions on the track is very different than agressive street driving.

Quote:
Problem is if you get the oil cooler and your engine runs cooler and you then push it even harder and maybe spend more time in 2nd than 3rd or whatever, then you are putting more strain on the tranny that otherwise would have been prevented by you being limited by engine oil temps. I think it provides a false sense of security for the other car parts since thinking engine oil is good-well all the other parts are now more stressed if you push it harder than usual.

I think there is a reason they put a certain size of cooler etc to run with all the other stock system. You cant have huge capacity in one component of the car without equal capacity in the others (tranny etc)
You are neglecting to consider that there are thermostatic controls on all these systems so the fact that you have a thermostat controlling when the oil is cooled through the oil cooler means that having a more effecient oil cooler just helps when oil temps rise and will not affect the low end of how cool the oil will get because the thermostat controls that and that piece is not being replaced.
Appreciate 0