BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Site Related Announcements - Suggestions - Feedback - Questions

Closed Thread

12-16-2009, 10:08 AM   #1
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Exclamation what's going on in this forum?

what's with all the thread deletions and warnings??
bruce got warned
and when he opened a thread to basically say goodbye to us
the mods deleted it
what's going on?
has there been a change in the rules?
are we hosting this forum from China now?
ofcourse i expect this thread to be deleted as soon as it goes up
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 10:57 AM   #2
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000 TT3

48 minutes later no responses and not deleted. I am sure PencilGeek will freely answer your questions as to why bruce was warned and why his thread was deleted/moved.
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 11:02 AM   #3
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

The thread you are referencing was moved to the relevant section of the forum:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...04#post6373804
      12-16-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
The thread you are referencing was moved to the relevant section of the forum:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...04#post6373804
well something looked weird
because every single other thread, when moved, stays on the main page with MOVED: next to it
except that one
that's why i thought it was deleted
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 11:24 AM   #5
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
well something looked weird
because every single other thread, when moved, stays on the main page with MOVED: next to it
except that one
that's why i thought it was deleted
Every mod probably handles moves somewhat differently. My approach is to leave a 1-day redirect for threads that have at least some kind of connection to the section they were posted in. If you start an engine modification related thread in the main section, it is still M3 related, so I will leave the redirect after moving the thread to the appropiate section. If there is no M3 connection, I will not leave a redirect as the thread is off-topic to that forum/section.

Having said this, I initially deleted Bruce's thread on the basis that it was off topic to the General M3 Forum as it had no M3 content. Shortly after (based on my own consideration and not on any discussion) it occured to me that it is relevant to the site related feedback section, so I moved it there.

This thread is also technically off topic. I will leave it here for the time being so that members are more aware of the site related feedback section. I don't think people are all that familiar with it. It certainly escapes my thinking at times, but I think we could all use it more to have this kind of discussion.
      12-16-2009, 11:53 AM   #6
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Every mod probably handles moves somewhat differently. My approach is to leave a 1-day redirect for threads that have at least some kind of connection to the section they were posted in. If you start an engine modification related thread in the main section, it is still M3 related, so I will leave the redirect after moving the thread to the appropiate section. If there is no M3 connection, I will not leave a redirect as the thread is off-topic to that forum/section.

Having said this, I initially deleted Bruce's thread on the basis that it was off topic to the General M3 Forum as it had no M3 content. Shortly after (based on my own consideration and not on any discussion) it occured to me that it is relevant to the site related feedback section, so I moved it there.

This thread is also technically off topic. I will leave it here for the time being so that members are more aware of the site related feedback section. I don't think people are all that familiar with it. It certainly escapes my thinking at times, but I think we could all use it more to have this kind of discussion.
Thanks for the explanation and reminder about the site-feedback section. I'd forgotten about that section.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 12:16 PM   #7
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

They're taking over the forums. We don't have freedom of speech anymore.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 02:30 PM   #8
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
They're taking over the forums. We don't have freedom of speech anymore.
You never had "freedom of speech" here. This forum is privately-owned. When you registered, you agreed to abide by certain rules. The owners have the right to remove anything they want to remove.

You are just a guest. You do have the freedom to never visit this or any such site again.
      12-16-2009, 03:14 PM   #9
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Free Bruce.
      12-16-2009, 03:28 PM   #10
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by foosh View Post
You never had "freedom of speech" here. This forum is privately-owned. When you registered, you agreed to abide by certain rules. The owners have the right to remove anything they want to remove.

You are just a guest. You do have the freedom to never visit this or any such site again.
go to China much?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 04:22 PM   #11
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Every mod probably handles moves somewhat differently.
Lucid, are you permitted to describe the criteria (or perhaps it is best called your criteria - not sure if there is a standard) for what decides which off topic threads get moved and which do not?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 04:27 PM   #12
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Lucid, are you permitted to describe the criteria (or perhaps it is best called your criteria - not sure if there is a standard) for what decides which off topic threads get moved and which do not?
If you look under the forum section headings from this page http://www.m3post.com/forums/index.php, you will see a brief description on what that forum is meant to be related to. If the thread is not related to that description, it would be considered off-topic to that forum section.
      12-16-2009, 04:38 PM   #13
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you look under the forum section headings from this page http://www.m3post.com/forums/index.php, you will see a brief description on what that forum is meant to be related to. If the thread is not related to that description, it would be considered off-topic to that forum section.
Thanks for the quick response lucid. I do understand the criteria for what is determined to be off topic and what is not. I just don't understand how it is decided which topics that happen to meet the criteria for being off topic are actually moved or removed.

To be more blunt, there are now and there has been in the past topics within the M3 General forum that are blatantly, moderately, or subtly off topic. I am curious why they remain in that forum, if you are permitted to discuss it.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 04:48 PM   #14
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Thanks for the quick response lucid. I do understand what the criteria for is determined to be off topic and what is not. I just don't understand how it is decided which topics that happen to meet the criteria for being off topic are actually moved or removed.

To be more blunt, there are now and there has been in the past topics within the M3 General forum that are blatantly, moderately, or subtly off topic. I am curious why they remain in that forum, if you are permitted to discuss it.
There may very well be off-topic threads in various sections. I act on the ones I see, and we have only so much bandwidth. If you see one that you think is off-topic, report it, and we'll move it.

Someone telling another member to f*** off in the middle of a heated debate (the exact wording was "eff off"), getting a minor warning for it from a moderator, and then starting a thread and stating that the definition of proper language on the forum is a "moving target" is indeed an off-topic discussion and does not belong in the main forum page. See, I didn't want to be this explicit about it, but you asked me to be.

We give many infractions/warnings on a daily basis. Do you want to see a public discussion on every one of them on the main forum page (there is a seperate page which lists every single warning and infraction given in the moderator/administrator section so it's not as if these things are not kept in check)? How many threads would that result in? And in many cases, there are details that we cannot discuss in public for various reasons. How is that related to the general M3 discussion?
      12-16-2009, 05:18 PM   #15
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

My apologies lucid if I am upsetting you here. I have nothing but respect for you as a moderator and as a fellow M3 owner and knowledgeable forum member.

To be honest, my line of questioning was not meant to be with respect to the posts kmarei was speaking about in his OP. I really was just looking for some general rule clarification. Perhaps I ought to have started a seperate thread for it - my apologies.

In any case, I do realize you guys only have so much bandwidth and that is completely understandable. Nevertheless, some off-topic threads go on for days or longer, sitting at the top of the thread list and are never moved, while other off topic posts are being picked off all around them. It certainly gives the appearance that some posts are consciously being treated differently for some reason. Admittedly things like this can be misinterpreted, and this could be such a case.

I suppose from now on I will simply report off topic posts as you suggest.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 05:41 PM   #16
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

No worries. As a mod, I've learned that it's best not to jump into a thread and take action without understanding what's going on (unless something is obviously wrong). So, in many cases, I leave a thread alone if I haven't read it, and there are many many threads that I've never clicked on that I know nothing about. For instance, I don't visit the cosmetic modifications section often, and I have very little knowledge of what's inside. A lot of threads get created in the main section every day. I don't even get to read 20% of the titles. But I do take action on the threads I do read if I think there is a need. Naturally, the more provocative/interesting titles attrack more of attention, so I am more likely to read them (and act on them if there is a need). I don't know how it is for other moderators, but I can't imagine it being that much different. I agree that this might result in a somewhat inconsistent picture overall. And some threads are hard to judge such as the watch thread. It is about M3 owners, but does it really belong to the general M3 forum? One could argue that it does because it is about "///M". One can also argue that it is not about the car, so it should be somewhere else, etc. However, that might simply point out a need to further define the purpose of the general M3 forum.