BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

03-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #45
phrozen06
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328it, RIP M3, E46 Sold

The beauty of all wheel drive.
      03-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #46
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Now! View Post
I guess - but kinda thought the reason behind racing is to see who can go fastest, period. If a good driver in an M3 can beat a C6 Vette, kudos to the M3 - you beat the driver.

Clearly I just don't race enough
I guess on a track with same cars it would be cool to see who go faster but in the street with different cars, I don't see the point. Personnally I just race for fun and also to see where my mods bring me compared to other car! It's always fun to win but nothing sad about losing!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #47
Hurricane
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 C63 507

Garage List
2012 E92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
I really like the RS5 and it makes a lot of sense in climates with plenty of days of rain and snow but they're a bit overpriced and I would constantly be thinking about "when am I gonna need a carbon clean?"

This sentence summarizes this debate in a simple manner. Well said!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #48
jerseygirl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanesso View Post
Has anyone tried the new RS5? Sounds like it's nearly an AWD M3.
comparisons have been made and never has the RS5 beaten the M3
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #49
Uiop
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirl
Quote:
comparisons have been made and never has the RS5 beaten the M3
Please read all the very nice work that Bruce did.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #50
CodeBlu
M3RCY
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 M3

Garage List
2013 e92 M3  [0.00]
2003 Acura NSX  [0.00]
Quote:
With the Audi RS5 you get a better interior fit / finish, no 6MT and virtually NO ability to mod your car. There are no aftermarket mods available except an exhaust upgrade from Corsa. With Audi, what you order is what you get.

And, with the M3....we know that there are a "few" modifications that can be contemplated to enhance your ride.

2013 E92 M3 DCT | IND ESS VT2-625 | Brembo BBK | KW Sleeve Kit | Eisenmann Sport/Challenge Sport X-pipe | Arkym Rear Diffuser | Revinora R-CRT Street Front Lip | Volk TE37SL
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 11:52 PM   #51
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSanto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uiop View Post
The APR tune for C7 S6/7 brings it to 560hp. Same as RS7. The baseline dyno showed 480hp stock, not 420.
Jesus. Yeah I just realized the RS7 uses the 4.0TT as well.

I'm awaiting the specs and price of the F80 M3. If it's not a substantial performance improvement over the E92. I think I'm going to go for the larger size, 4WD and luxury of the S7.

With 560hp it'll be plenty fast too.
Its not all about power. Its about going fast NOT in a straight line.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 06:08 AM   #52
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Here you are children:

http://fastestlaps.com/raceways.html
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 07:49 AM   #53
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMeister01 View Post

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #54
gongju
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 JBMetallic e92 M3

I was able to test drive an RS5 the other day as I was considering 'jumping ship' to an Audi to bridge the wait for when the M4 comes out. I was underwhelmed even before I sat in the car. The SA drove the car up to me and I was surprised at how quiet it sounded... this is with the sport exhaust too! My boyfriend even commented that it sounded like an electric vehicle compared to my M3. I wasn't really allowed to push the car as it had just come in and was the only one available in their lot. The S Tronic shifted incredibly smooth... almost too smooth, is that even possible? It definitely felt more torquier, which I enjoyed. The overall drive was, again, smooth and much more tame and quiet compared to the M3.

Don't get me wrong, I think the RS5 is a great looking car inside and out especially with the titanium pkg which I think is a must on this car. I really wanted to like this car enough to pull the trigger but, for me, I like to feel the road more and feel more connected with the car and I think with the RS5 I'd be afraid that I would eventually become bored with it. Like all the reviews have said it is more of a GT car and it's just a different animal than the M3. Still a great car though but just not for me. You can read all the reviews you want, like I have, but you really just have to drive both cars to see which one is a better fit for you.

Last edited by gongju; 04-21-2013 at 12:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #55
Race_Doc11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G82 M4

Garage List
2023 BMW G82 M4  [0.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 Audi RS5 (Sold)  [10.00]
2008 E93 M3 (Sold)  [10.00]
I agree with you that the car is quite unless it is in the dynamic mode. If I was in the market for either the M3 or the RS5 I would pick the M3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gongju View Post
I was able to test drive an RS5 the other day as I was considering 'jumping ship' to an Audi to bridge the wait for when the M4 comes out. I was underwhelmed even before I sat in the car. The SA drove the car up to me and I was surprised at how quiet it sounded... this is with the sport exhaust too! My boyfriend even commented that it sounded like an electric vehicle compared to my M3. I wasn't really allowed to push the car as it had just come in and was the only one available in their lot. The S Tronic shifted incredibly smooth... almost too smooth, is that even possible? It definitely felt more torquier, which I enjoyed. The overall drive was, again, smooth and much more tame and quiet compared to the M3.

Don't get me wrong, I think the RS5 is a great looking car inside and out especially with the titanium pkg which I think is a must on this car. I really wanted to like this car enough to pull the trigger but, for me, I like to feel the road more and feel more connected with the car and I think with the RS5 I'd be afraid that I would eventually become bored with it. Like all the reviews have said it is more of a GT car and it's just a different animal than the M3. Still a great car though but just not for me. You can read all the reviews you want, like I have, but you really just have to drive both cars to see which one is a better fit for you.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 04:07 AM   #56
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3takesNYC View Post
Bruce where do you gett his stuff?
Mostly from road tests, and Internet sources.

Quote:
Have you even driven one?
Have several hours in M3s, and one short test drive in an RS5. Not enough to make my comments a result of personal experience. Plus I've never driven either on track.

Quote:
The m3 consistently pulls on the Rs5 from absolutely any rolling start from 30mph and up. Seen it many times.
So, what part of my "Out on the highway, side by side, it seems as if the M3 has a minor advantage, given its slightly better power to weight ratio, and the Audi's AWD paraphernalia." didn't you get. It seems we've seen more or less the same Internet races. So what's your beef, exactly.

Quote:
And at the track there has been many tests showing the m3 is faster around a lot of tracks. Moreso than any audi was faster.
OK, I'll bite. I'm using THIS reference, wherein the Audi was quicker on 12 out of 15 tracks.

Now show me yours.

Quote:
I like the audi but to say all these specific scenarios which just are not true is what im pointing out
Now, point out what isn't true, please, and be specific.
Plus ive never driven either on a track. Stop. Right. There.

Im amazed at the number of ppl on these boards that are street racing, using youtube videos as research and even some - racing from a red light?! Haha. Buy a helmet and go to a track. Get instruction. Learn.

Amazing. I am genuinely mind blown.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 04:09 AM   #57
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gongju

Princess with an m3?

Do you track your car? That would be awesome.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 07:55 AM   #58
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

Rs5 gets better interior
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #59
CPB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911 turbo/E63S

Had the M3 for a bit over a year now and really like it. It does DD duty. But with summer approaching, thinking about trading it for an RS5 cab?

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 09:46 AM   #60
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Plus ive never driven either on a track. Stop. Right. There.

Im amazed at the number of ppl on these boards that are street racing, using youtube videos as research and even some - racing from a red light?! Haha. Buy a helmet and go to a track. Get instruction. Learn.

Amazing. I am genuinely mind blown.
When I gave it up back at the end of '09, I had spent 14 years as a track rat - the first few as a student, and the last few as an instructor. Maybe you have more and deeper experience than that? If so, I bow to you. If not...

In any event, if I had driven these cars back to back on track, I'm not sure that experience would've added to the evidence pool in any meaningful way.

As to youtube videos, that particular video seemed very creditable to me, especially since there's another fairly similar video posted somewhere else on these boards which came up with similar results.

Then when you add the FastestLaps info, you're making a strong case overall as to how these two cars perform relative to each other on a race track.

OK, tough guy, show me some evidence other than your seat-of-the-pants evaluation that's better than what has already been posted in this string.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #61
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

I think the RS5 looks fantastic and by most measures the performance is close to the M3. I would consider the RS5 if I lived in the Midwest where all wheel drive is a huge plus. I have had many audi's in the past and they can't be beat in the snow. Unfortunately, every Audi I have owned had an odd mechanical issue (B6 S4, Q7, RS6, D2 S8). I have had far better luck with BMW's.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #62
Jonjt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeBlu View Post
With the Audi RS5 you get a better interior fit / finish, no 6MT and virtually NO ability to mod your car. There are no aftermarket mods available except an exhaust upgrade from Corsa. With Audi, what you order is what you get.

And, with the M3....we know that there are a "few" modifications that can be contemplated to enhance your ride.
Is the lack of ability because the platform is new?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 01:36 AM   #63
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

The point im getting to is this. You cannot use videos and magazines and dyno crap to compare cars. Who the hell cares about numbers? 12 out 15 similar who gives a fuck?

Hey i read on audizine that the rs5 beat a 458 and a gt3 in every tested scenario. 200 members can confirm this.

This is what you sound like.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 09:28 AM   #64
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
The point im getting to is this. You cannot use videos and magazines and dyno crap to compare cars.
With the exception of dyno crap, of course you can. You can get more good information about a car or cars you're considering by checking magazine or on-line testing than you possibly can on your own.

Of course, from my point of view, numbers can't tell more than part of the story. The rest is in the experience, and how that driving experience matches your wants and needs.

If you weren't just blowing smoke here, we'd be in complete agreement. In fact, I'm quite sure we are.

Quote:
Who the hell cares about numbers?
You do. Of course, you've made it nastily clear here that you care about other things as well, just like everybody else in these forums except possibly for dorm room or high school types.

Quote:
12 out 15 similar who gives a fuck?
Apparently comparative track times are not important to you. That's fine with me, but if you were a track type, the fact that the Audi tends to be a little quicker than the Bimmer might mean you'd check that particular box on the Audi side of the page, rather than on the BMW side. Evidence is evidence.

Of course, there are literally dozens of things that one might consider when comparing vehicles, and we each have our priorities - but your intimation that numbers are not part of your comparison scenario is just so much BS.

Quote:
Hey i read on audizine that the rs5 beat a 458 and a gt3 in every tested scenario. 200 members can confirm this.

This is what you sound like.
Hey, if I read that, I'd be thinking complete BS - but I'd check it out.

So far in this string, I've posted credible evidence that the Audi tends to do a little better than hold its own on track against an M3.

Discredit the evidence, show me a better way - or shut up.

Bruce

Last edited by bruce.augenstein@comcast.; 05-08-2013 at 10:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #65
RS4now
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 space gray

I'm a new guy here but I have owned an S4, C63,RS4,stupid escalade for a day. And now waiting for my 13 M3. I can say being around cars for a while that the RS line of Audi is kind of a waste of $$ right now. For the same dough I'd get and S6. If a coupe is what u want then get a used R8. The m3 is way more nimble, fun and best of all modifiable. There just isn't much available for the RS cars. U need an engine burning tune and exhaust. Then U lose your warranty. The RS feels fast, planted but still lacks the overall impact of the BMW. Obviously it's personal pref, but when u add up every aspect of driving in the car, i think BMW wins. Btw. I never had any issues with any if my Audis, and carbon cleaning isn't something u need very often. Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 11:06 PM   #66
Race_Doc11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G82 M4

Garage List
2023 BMW G82 M4  [0.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 Audi RS5 (Sold)  [10.00]
2008 E93 M3 (Sold)  [10.00]
Ok! I just picked her up last Sat. What do you guys think?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0