BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

01-06-2016, 05:03 PM   #1
uisim
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

confused on daytime running lights.

So today my passenger drl went out. Both the angel eyes are out on that side. Now my daytime lights look about the same color as the hid headlights except when I hit the turn signal. Then I can see the inner part inside the angel eyes turns yellow. When the drl"s alone are on however, it looks like a blueish white just like the hid headlights. I'm confused because I see other cars where it's a straight up yellow looking halogen angel eye and mine does not look like that even though the dealer said I need a H8. I don't know if mine was upgraded at some point or if this is normal.

Last edited by uisim; 01-06-2016 at 08:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 05:43 PM   #2
delirium330
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 3 Pedals

Others can probably diagnose, but if you end up needing stock H8 replacements from a 2010 E92, I've got 2 used ones that I pulled out and would sell for cheap (I replaced with Lux H8 160s).
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 06:21 PM   #3
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by uisim View Post
So today my passenger drl went out. Both the angel eyes are out on that side. Now my daytime lights look about the same color as the hid headlights except when I hit the turn signal. Then I can see the inner part inside the angel eyes turns yellow. When the drl"s alone are on however, it looks like a blueish white just like the hid headlights. I'm confused because I see other cars where it's a straight up yellow looking halogen angel eye and mine does not look like that even though the dealer said I need a H8. I don't know if mine was upgraded at some point or if this is normal.
There are two H8 bulbs, with each one lighting up the angel eye optical fibers, so one of the bulb blew out.

Your inner part of the angel eye turns yellow, or lights up, it's an H3 bulb, when you signal. It's suppose to illuminate more of the direction you're turning into. There's no "inner angel eye" because the whole thing is lit by one h8 bulb and by the nature of it's design, it is always brightest at the inner rings vs outer rings.

Unless you have some sort of upgrade to the AE's, i'm not sure where the blueish hue comes from. Pic may help!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 06:48 PM   #4
uisim
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingZeroX5 View Post
There are two H8 bulbs, with each one lighting up the angel eye optical fibers, so one of the bulb blew out.

Your inner part of the angel eye turns yellow, or lights up, it's an H3 bulb, when you signal. It's suppose to illuminate more of the direction you're turning into. There's no "inner angel eye" because the whole thing is lit by one h8 bulb and by the nature of it's design, it is always brightest at the inner rings vs outer rings.

Unless you have some sort of upgrade to the AE's, i'm not sure where the blueish hue comes from. Pic may help!
So this is what they look like. Does this look like oem or aftermarket? I'd just take them out but won't be able to until a few days and if it's oem I'd like to order it and have it ready to go
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 06:52 PM   #5
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Cant really tell that well. Could be using gpthunders or similar aftermarkets

Open up the cover at the top of the headlight. Does it look like it has heatsinks on the bulb or a regular h8. LEDs typically use heatsinks so it is a dead giveaway

If its a regular h8, two possibilities:
1. Aftermarket bulb, such as gpthunders 5k temp or something
2. Car could be coded to output higher voltage to achieve a more whiter look

Hope this helps

If you want to go back to OEM, I have a set I can ship you. Pretty much brand new Phillips, had it on for a month. PM if youre interested
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 07:08 PM   #6
uisim
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Cant really tell that well. Could be using gpthunders or similar aftermarkets

Open up the cover at the top of the headlight. Does it look like it has heatsinks on the bulb or a regular h8. LEDs typically use heatsinks so it is a dead giveaway

If its a regular h8, two possibilities:
1. Aftermarket bulb, such as gpthunders 5k temp or something
2. Car could be coded to output higher voltage to achieve a more whiter look

Hope this helps

If you want to go back to OEM, I have a set I can ship you. Pretty much brand new Phillips, had it on for a month. PM if youre interested
Thank you for the offer I'll have to check . I guess I gota brave the cold and do it outside real fast. Would be no problem if I had my warm garage and I hate when the car isn't at 100 percent. Especially with something so visible
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 10:52 PM   #7
uisim
Private First Class
Rep

Looks like I answered my question. It's the lux led with the black load equilizer. Gonna have to order new ones after I put a volt meter to the connector incase it's another issue
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 08:50 AM   #8
exVtekGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none yet

You should contact lux. they'll repair it for you for a fee but it'll be cheaper than buying a new complete set.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 10:37 AM   #9
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Looks like I answered my question. It's the lux led with the black load equilizer. Gonna have to order new ones after I put a volt meter to the connector incase it's another issue
Just swap the bulbs to see if the other side lights up
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 02:52 PM   #10
uisim
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Just swap the bulbs to see if the other side lights up
It will the currents ok. They are the v3 so there are better ones now. I thought about the amber lux but my car is red and it doesn't look right imo. Just ordered the lux v160 pure white.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 02:58 PM   #11
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
It will the currents ok. They are the v3 so there are better ones now. I thought about the amber lux but my car is red and it doesn't look right imo. Just ordered the lux v160 pure white.
you won't regret it. truly amazing option
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 03:01 PM   #12
burtonsbs5114
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2c. LBB, 6mt

Garage List
I have the LUX h8 160s and love them!