BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

09-20-2009, 02:01 AM   #1
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Exhaust Comparison Video 2: OEM, Dinan, AA Signature, Eisenmann Race

It is finally here! We had a good time making this video for all of you. Camera used was iPhone 3GS. For some reason, I was not able to upload a HD version of it, so the video quality isn't great. We hope you find it informative.

OEM - JC919
Dinan - Tlud
AA Signature - frankzlin79
Eisenmann Race - Ajax-Prime

Last edited by frankzlin79; 09-20-2009 at 10:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 02:13 AM   #2
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Nicely done!

Its great to see a video like this. Sure will help a lot. Thanks!

Last edited by Crazy Bimmer; 09-20-2009 at 02:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 02:29 AM   #3
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
THANK YOU SOO MUCH!!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 04:23 AM   #4
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3 Coupe  [8.14]
Thumbs up Nice exhaust video the best yet

good job on the video ...... You are the man

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger custom tuned,ARH Long Tube Headers,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, ARH X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 04:51 AM   #5
Andrew 912
//M addicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E92 - MR X6M

Well Done gentleman! The OEM vs Dinan is just slightly different, Is that the speaker of my computer or is that valid in person? Thanks you guys!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 04:55 AM   #6
A-Man
Captain
South Africa
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

good job man. This is very helpful for those of us who dont have modded m3's around to compare with. Eisenmann race sounds sick.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 07:23 AM   #7
MAZNG
I found Jesus...He was Hiding behiind my Sofa
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 MW F82

Thanks for taking the time to do this... Would it be too much to ask that you guys give a brief description/ review of each as you heard it in person?

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 08:12 AM   #8
kkhurr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: A/W E92 M3 '08

That was definitely very useful. Thanks for taking the time to make that comparison video
      09-20-2009, 10:17 AM   #9
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Great work, Frank! That came out really well!

For those of you who have asked for our impressions of the different exhaust, here are mine. I'm sure the other guys will add their's as well.

First, those of you with the OEM exhausts should appreciate what you have. It sounds great from outside, especially under heavy acceleration. I think many people want something more because it's very tame at idle and completely unobtrusive inside the cabin, but you need to be careful what you wish for because you just might get it.

The Dinan is probably the next step up in terms of volume from stock. Strictly in terms of decibels it is noticeably louder than OEM from the outside in all situations. In terms of tone, from the outside, the sound of the Dinan is deeper, more burbly, and less mellow than OEM. On a cold start up, the Dinan sounds much deeper, louder and more meaty. Inside the car, you definitely know you don't have the stock exhaust when tooling around town low in the rpm range, but the sound is just lound enough to be noticeable and not loud enough to be obtrusive or annoying. Cruising between 2500 and 3000 rpm its very barely louder than stock from inside. Cruising above 3000 rpm, there is no difference. If you're looking for an exhaust that is a more aggressive and noticeable than stock without becoming annoying inside the cabin, the Dinan is what you're looking for. However, if you're looking for a higher-pitched F1-sounding exhaust, this is not it. It's a deeper sound.

The AA has a really nice tone to it. It is much deeper than the OEM exhaust at startup and idle, but when you get on it, the pitch is much higher, with a very exotic sound to it. It also has a very "full" sound that hits all the right notes. Although it sounds almost stock at cruising speed (3,000 rpm and above), between 1,500 and 2,500 the exhaust is extremely loud, both inside the cabin and out. Inside the cabin, it's not a drone, more like a boominess. In my opinion, it was a little overpowering at times, but admittedly, I'm very sensitive to that kind of thing. Down low in the rpm range, it is about the same volume as the Eisenmann Race. Obviously, up higher, the Eisenmann Race is much louder. I'm sure Frank can give a lot more input on the sound and day-to-day driveability. These are just my impressions from having ridden in his car.

The Eisenmann Race has a beautifully muscular sound from outside. No matter what situation it's in, it's clearly serious business. Inside the car, like you'd expect it is loud, but the sound is so nice, I didn't mind. Granted, I only spent a couple minutes inside Ajax's car, so I didn't get a sense of what it would be like to live with this exhaust in a daily driver situation. I also didn't get a chance to hear what his car sounds like at highway cruising speeds, so I'll let him comment on that.
      09-20-2009, 11:12 AM   #10
Silverstone
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E93 M DCT SILVERSTONE

This is beautifully done...Thanks you for taking the time to put it all together.

ur effort is appreciated.

Tlud...great write up. gives me a good sense of direction now...im just waiting for Ajax to write some stuff about the E Race.
      09-20-2009, 11:13 AM   #11
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

OEM - I had forgotten how good the OEM actually sounded. On hard acceleration, it sounds very similar to the after market exhausts. On idle and inside the cabin with the windows up, however, you just can't hear it.

Dinan - The Dinan sounds like a louder (and slightly deeper) version of the OEM. It is perfect for those who want a slightly louder sound...something that can now be heard while inside the cabin with the windows up.

AA Signature - The AA Signature is definitely a step up from the Dinan. It is louder and deeper. It can be very boomy and very loud at low RPMs. During city street driving (less than 35 mph), it compares with the Eisenmann Race. At highway cruising speeds, however, a non car enthusiast would not even be able to tell that you are running the AA. I'm sure many will read reviews of other AA owners, that the AA is only slightly louder than stock--that all depends on what speed and RPM. Overall, the AA is a very loud exhaust. All M3 post members who have heard it for the first time, all comment that it is definitely louder than expected.

Eisenmann Race - I wish there was more time yesterday to give me an opportunity to ride in Ajax-Prime's car. So my thoughts are just based on what you see in the video. On start up, and you can tell in the video, it is easily the loudness exhaust in the group. It is loud on start up and at city street speeds. I'm not sure how it sounds on the highway. I believe it quiets down significantly (like AA) because when Ajax-Prime was driving next to me at a constant speed, I couldn't hear the Eisenmann Race.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 11:23 AM   #12
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Spectacular work guys!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 11:51 AM   #13
Suprane
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 E90

Thanks a lot. Very helpful. (Still undecided on exhaust but have never seen a video comparing these four together) Excellent, really appreciate all your efforts.
      09-20-2009, 11:59 AM   #14
Nate@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Great video
      09-20-2009, 12:01 PM   #15
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

The concept was suppose to be bigger in scope. We also wanted a Meistershaft GT2 (navfaz) and Gintanni (Naawaz) in the comparison, but due to scheduling conflicts, it is very tough to get everyone together on the same day.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 12:08 PM   #16
bryanr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

Great work, thanks
      09-20-2009, 12:08 PM   #17
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Great job folks. On 'fly by II', the OEM and Dinan were off the gas when passing the camera (again ), but on 'hard acceleration' you can clearly hear how each car sounds from behind , so no need for this: .

Yeah, stock sounds really nice. After reading (and hearing) this great thread, I have zero regrets about keeping my system stock (and painting it flat black), as even the Dinan is louder inside, and I just can't get past how cheap it looks (no offense Tlud )... but on the plus side, it's the best sounding of them all IMO. Thanks again for doing this for us .
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 01:56 PM   #18
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

nah, i think eisen race sound the best of them all.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 02:16 PM   #19
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Great job folks. On 'fly by II', the OEM and Dinan were off the gas when passing the camera (again ), but on 'hard acceleration' you can clearly hear how each car sounds from behind , so no need for this: .
Yeah, I timed it exactly wrong between second and third gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Yeah, stock sounds really nice. After reading (and hearing) this great thread, I have zero regrets about keeping my system stock (and painting it flat black), as even the Dinan is louder inside, and I just can't get past how cheap it looks (no offense Tlud )... but on the plus side, it's the best sounding of them all IMO. Thanks again for doing this for us .
No offense taken because the Dinan tips are an acquired taste for most. The appearance of the tips has grown on me, and now that they're tucked in with the VRS diffuser, I'm perfectly happy with them. The thing I like the most is that they don't turn black and pitted like the OEM tips. I'm not sure why the OEM tips do that because the aftermarket tips don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
nah, i think eisen race sound the best of them all.
The Eisenmann Race sounds glorious, but for me, it's just a little too loud inside the cabin for a daily driver.
      09-20-2009, 02:23 PM   #20
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankzlin79 View Post
The concept was suppose to be bigger in scope. We also wanted a Meistershaft GT2 (navfaz) and Gintanni (Naawaz) in the comparison, but due to scheduling conflicts, it is very tough to get everyone together on the same day.
I have my eye out for your next one buddy!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 03:32 PM   #21
alex310
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335I Coupe/M3 Sedan

This was super man, thank you so much!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 03:50 PM   #22
Ajax-Prime
Hydrocarbon Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: Still waiting on Stuttgart...

OEM:
I totally agree with what Tom says regarding the OEM unit. Under hard acceleration, it sounds good, but very rarely do you ever see an M3 really gettin on it around town. I am continuously surprised at the lack of 'presence' whenever I encounter one; at times I actually have to strain to hear them. It doesn't fit with how a V-8 should sound in my book.

Dinan:
I was expecting the Dinan to be a bit deeper for overall tone. I rode shotgun for Tom's flybys, and it sounds much more aggressive than stock from inside the cabin. Louder than stock, but not too loud. The tips grow on you. His car feels quicker than mine. My car seems to take a second for the clutch to hook up second to third, his seems engaged immediately.

AA:
I was really surprised at how loud the AA was at idle and low range rpm from outside and in. It's about as loud as the Race. Once you get into the mid range, the sound starts to flatten out, decibel wise. By the time I got to 4k, I was a bit more concerned with slowing Frank's car down...so I can't really say for the upper reaches of the tach.

Eisenmann Race:
God this thing sounds awesome! I asked Tom to do an extra-curricular flyby so I could hear it, and it really does sound great. It's like a tidal wave of V-8ness. From the inside, with the windows down, it has very nice tone all through out the rpm range. I get a lot of compliments on it.

That being said, at low rpms with the windows up, it's a bit too much for me. It is just as loud from the inside as it is out. I have learned to modulate it with gear and throttle settings, but as soon as you open it up, it's BOOM BABY right in yer kisser. That lasts until you get to 3100 rpms. On the highway, cruising in 6th, I don't think it's that bad at all. Again, once you have to give it a little more gas though, the noise factor starts to ratchet up. If you can handle the 'Business' end of the Race 24/7 so to speak, I highly recommend the unit. You aren't saving any weight with it, but it really brings out the V-8 if you know what I mean.

Myself....I must be getting old. Last week I purchased an E Sport from another member of the forum and hope to have it on by the end of next weekend.

Many thanks to Frank for putting this all together and sweating his balls off getting it done. I hope it helps you folks come to the right decision.
Appreciate 0