BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM
Closed Thread

02-18-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BTG 2014 - 3 Laps

Exclamation BPM vs. ESS

BPM is the car with the camera and ESS is the car beside me.

We did the same gear and same RPM (4500) for these runs. The first run was dead even off the start, as for the second, UBER had the jump on the start. Sorry that the clips are so short but my GoPro was acting funny. The videos still show a good idea of whats going on.

***STi_traitor:

BPM Tuned 2010 E90 M3 DCT (52k miles)
OEM Exhaust Mod (ACM Style)
Macht Schnell Test Pipes
245 (fronts) 265 (rears) PSS Tires

***UBER///M3:

ESS Tuned 2012 E92 M3 DCT (11k miles)
Akropovic Slip On Axel Back
Auto Couture Motoring Test Pipes
AA Green Drop in Filter
255 (fronts) 305 (rears) PSS Tires

Last edited by STi_traitor; 04-05-2013 at 08:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
rantarM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I think to validly compare tunes you'd have to run them on the same car, with the same driver, on the same course, and with similar atmospheric conditions. Your test will run an E90 v E92, different drivers, different tires, and it seems that in a not particularly controlled environment (i.e., the street). My prediction is that you won't be able to determine any meaningful difference, but I'm nevertheless interested in seeing what happens.

Good luck and be safe.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantarM3 View Post
I think to validly compare tunes you'd have to run them on the same car, with the same driver, on the same course, and with similar atmospheric conditions. Your test will run an E90 v E92, different drivers, different tires, and it seems that in a not particularly controlled environment (i.e., the street). My prediction is that you won't be able to determine any meaningful difference, but I'm nevertheless interested in seeing what happens.

Good luck and be safe.
Good observation, from what I know the difference is 22lbs between the two. I also don't have a sunroof in my E90. I should have mentioned that they are both DCT so the driver comparison straight line shouldn't be all that different, I would hope. We will plan out the runs before doing them. A few test runs before the final one. The wheels are something I thought about but there isn't much we can do.

In the end this will be an interesting comparison.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #4
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantarM3 View Post

Good luck and be safe.
Also, if you are not sure what the German autobahn is like do a quick search. It's a place where BMW test their cars daily, wide open unrestricted road.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #5
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

STi traitor..you are the man !!!
I can not wait for the results....
I have already made a shortcut of this tread...
Why....i have also the oem. exhaust mod. and the same PSS tires and DCT !
So... now i was also considering a tune from Mike (BPM) in spring, and now i see this from you...i'm so f@cking curious about the result !
And when i may question you...is it possible to post a video about this ???
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #6
UBER ///M3
Nüburgring Nordschleife BTG 8:05
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2012 LEMANS BLUE E92 ZCP M3

yeah buddy!!! is it april yet man!!!??? and there will be videos of this via Go Pro..Also this will all be done legally on the Autobahn in the unrestricted zone
ESS V2 Tune, ACM Test Pipes, AA Green Filter,Custom painted Recaro Pole Positions, Akrapovic slip on, Stoptech ST60/ Pagid pads, KW Clubsports, APEX ARC8s/Pilot Sport Cups, Hamann carbon fiber hood, ONEighty Headlight mod (selfmade), CRT lip with splitters, Blacked out/paint matched emblems, black aluminum extended paddles and pedals
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #7
manari06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3, 2016 X5 50i

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E92  [9.50]
2007 335I Coupe  [10.00]
I want to jump on this! I'll be back Saturday from downrange and will be picking my beast on the 8th. Sitting at the house already is an Eisenmann Race Exhaust, ACM Test Pipes with ESS Tune, BMC Drop in Filter, On it's way already Active Autowerks Power Pulley Kit. 2013 E92 DCT also will be running on VMR 710 19X9.5 Front with Stock Tires and 19X10 Rear Also Stock Tires.
      02-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #8
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
STi traitor..you are the man !!!
I can not wait for the results....
I have already made a shortcut of this tread...
Why....i have also the oem. exhaust mod. and the same PSS tires and DCT !
So... now i was also considering a tune from Mike (BPM) in spring, and now i see this from you...i'm so f@cking curious about the result !
And when i may question you...is it possible to post a video about this ???
Good to see your excited! If anything you should join us the day it is done to see the outcome in person. I will post videos as soon as we make them, around mid April. This will be the best time since UBER and I will be busy all through March.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBER ///M3 View Post
yeah buddy!!! is it april yet man!!!??? and there will be videos of this via Go Pro..Also this will all be done legally on the Autobahn in the unrestricted zone
Tell me about it, I am tired of looking at my car and seeing the skinny winters and crappy weather! Sliding is fun but it is getting boring, need speed and more traction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manari06 View Post
I want to jump on this! I'll be back Saturday from downrange and will be picking my beast on the 8th. Sitting at the house already is an Eisenmann Race Exhaust, ACM Test Pipes with ESS Tune, BMC Drop in Filter, On it's way already Active Autowerks Power Pulley Kit. 2013 E92 DCT also will be running on VMR 710 19X9.5 Front with Stock Tires and 19X10 Rear Also Stock Tires.
Nice, I am glad that you decided to get a tune. You have been going all out with your car......man I wish I was deployed right now. I would be on a BBK and SC if that was the case. We will hit you up when the comparison is conducted so that you can join us.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #9
UBER ///M3
Nüburgring Nordschleife BTG 8:05
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2012 LEMANS BLUE E92 ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by STi_traitor View Post
Good to see your excited! If anything you should join us the day it is done to see the outcome in person. I will post videos as soon as we make them, around mid April. This will be the best time since UBER and I will be busy all through March.

Tell me about it, I am tired of looking at my car and seeing the skinny winters and crappy weather! Sliding is fun but it is getting boring, need speed and more traction!

Nice, I am glad that you decided to get a tune. You have been going all out with your car......man I wish I was deployed right now. I would be on a BBK and SC if that was the case. We will hit you up when the comparison is conducted so that you can join us.
yes exactly ugly skinny tires sliding all over the German roads and just think this time next year after Deployment we will be testing out our superchargers!!! hahahaha
ESS V2 Tune, ACM Test Pipes, AA Green Filter,Custom painted Recaro Pole Positions, Akrapovic slip on, Stoptech ST60/ Pagid pads, KW Clubsports, APEX ARC8s/Pilot Sport Cups, Hamann carbon fiber hood, ONEighty Headlight mod (selfmade), CRT lip with splitters, Blacked out/paint matched emblems, black aluminum extended paddles and pedals
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #10
manari06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3, 2016 X5 50i

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E92  [9.50]
2007 335I Coupe  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by STi_traitor View Post

Sounds like a plan bro!!! I'm all in
      02-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #11
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

[QUOTE=STi_traitor;13500075]Good to see your excited! If anything you should join us the day it is done to see the outcome in person. I will post videos as soon as we make them, around mid April. This will be the best time since UBER and I will be busy all through March.

I can not join...i must always work ...also weekends and in shifts !
But i will follow your video...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #12
M3takesNYC
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

This is about as fair of a test as you can get. The test would be useless if there was no run stock vs stock because one person may have a stronger car stock for stock. So if the stock cars are essentially even than this will make for a perfect comparison.

I think I saw one guy did not have a drop-in filter so may as well get one and throw it on to completely even out mod for mod. Different rear section exhausts will make no difference whatsover, atleast on this car.

Ideal road pulls would be 40-140. Gives you the powerband of 2nd and all of 3rd and good chunk of 4th to really display the legs of power up at the full peak area of the band
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #13
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3takesNYC View Post
This is about as fair of a test as you can get. The test would be useless if there was no run stock vs stock because one person may have a stronger car stock for stock. So if the stock cars are essentially even than this will make for a perfect comparison.

I think I saw one guy did not have a drop-in filter so may as well get one and throw it on to completely even out mod for mod. Different rear section exhausts will make no difference whatsover, atleast on this car.

Ideal road pulls would be 40-140. Gives you the powerband of 2nd and all of 3rd and good chunk of 4th to really display the legs of power up at the full peak area of the band
Thanks for the idea on 40-140. We will have to try this out as well. I would hope that stock for stock the cars are equal but you never know I guess. I would hope that the filter wont make a difference. Worst case, I will just remove it for the comparison.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #14
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
STi: You'll wanna change your plugs if they haven't been done before the event.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #15
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
TRUE !!!
I have mine changed last year...and it was....WOW..you can realy feel the difference !!!
The s65 engine likes new spark plugs
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #16
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Sounds good! I am sure they were replaced around the 30k mark if I recall what the previous owner told me correctly. Not sure, I will confirm with him one last time just in case.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #17
yinlee
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Subscribed. Can't wait to see the results. Damn, it's still February.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #18
dead ringer
09 M3 E90
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 E90 - DCT

subscribed
      02-18-2013, 09:15 PM   #19
uplusd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

02-19-2013, 01:59 AM   #20
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
      02-19-2013, 02:25 AM   #21
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

What kind of wheels do you guys have?

From a roll, I'd say that the 265s have the advantage over the 305s due to weight. With a 4-5lbs difference per corner, that makes a noticeable difference in these type of runs.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 07:49 AM   #22
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

STi, thanks for doing this. These are the tunes I'm interested as well (add Evolve to the mix too) and will have similar mods.

What kind of OEM exhaust mod do you have, bypass or perforated pipes? I'm holding out on a tune until I get test pipes, but since I already have a bypass OEM muffler, I'm not sure how that'll sound. I've heard a few terrible videos and it's kind of hard to tell. Wanted to see what your experience has been. Thanks again.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread