BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

07-27-2014, 09:23 PM   #1
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

United race @ Indy, then Putnam Park

Had a proper motorsport weekend. Few pics and vids from the trip --

Off early a.m. Friday to make it down for the race.

Arrival to Indy. Sleeeeeepy town, but not without some charm. We enjoyed.

Having never been to IMS, plan was to tour the facility during the Continental sportscar race, then hit the preferred vantage points for the main United race.

Pit walk was memorable -- so much cool stuff, and very accessible!

Pressed for space? Spares on the roof.

As far as I know they have no interest in anything going on at IMS over the weekend. Keeping an eye for future competition perhaps? Hope so.

GS class Continental winners. Creeper status through the fence.

Landed here for the majority of the United race. What a sweet spot to watch a race.

United Prototype fly by down the front straight.

If you haven't seen a United Sportscar Championship race, just go... If you're visiting this area of the forum there's no way you wouldn't find interest and have a good time. I prefer it over Indycar. Never a dull moment especially now with the four different classes. It's worth it for the engine/exhaust sounds alone.

Up early again for the ~50 mile drive west to Putnam Park. Never been before.

Converted from GT to track spec'ish (more on that below).

Started the morning with a good storm, so my first session was very wet. First time to Putnam, NT01's had nil tread. Good fun and sideways often, but not a very effective way to learn the track when you're just trying to keep it on the asphalt.

Only got in two more dry sessions for the day before heading back to Indy. Putnam was fun and deceptively challenging. It's the first track that I've visited where my stock E90 just felt a bit wayward, tall, and loose. Through a number of the quick transitions I could really feel the weight of the thing. So now I'm weighing coils vs Michigan roads.

Sorry for the vid quality. Don't know what's up with the iPhone cam. At least the external mic was working.

Dropped 2 seconds from first session to second, and know there's a few more even in stock trim. (I reference lap times insofar as they're an indication of my learning the track.) But yeah, suspension would be really nice at this track in particular. I look forward to going back.

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 07:36 AM   #2
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

Nice pics! Isn't it awesome how accessible everything is? You can walk right up and look at the cars and equipment, chat with the techs, take pics. It's such an awesome experience. Glad you have fun!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 07:22 PM   #3
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Esq View Post
Nice pics! Isn't it awesome how accessible everything is? You can walk right up and look at the cars and equipment, chat with the techs, take pics. It's such an awesome experience. Glad you have fun!
Definitely. I intended to mention the accessibility. And unlike elsewhere (Belle Isle for example) didn't even need a pit pass @ IMS. $20 gave you access to every view in the place, including up close in the pits. And the place was so big (and largely empty) that I got whatever view I wanted.

Highly recommend general admission to anyone that goes to one of these. Experiencing the different views is a lot of fun. Even for a die hard race the same seat for 2 1/2 hours can become a little tiresome. Just bring your walking shoes.

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 03:20 PM   #4
KC26
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2006 Ford Gt

Awesome pics. FYI McLaren is heavily involved in NASCAR. They produce all the "Spec" ECU parts.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 05:43 PM   #5
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC26 View Post
Awesome pics. FYI McLaren is heavily involved in NASCAR. They produce all the "Spec" ECU parts.
Ah, I see! Thanks for the info. Really wouldn't have guessed that.

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 07:08 AM   #6
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3

Nice Job bud. Good to see you out there, and putnam is a track I have to visit next year. Anyways, remember when we met at Gingerman, and I told you about Mid-America Motorplex in Iowa. It was designed by Allan Wilson, the same guy who designed Gingerman, and I don't think you've been there yet. Anyways, I just came back from Iowa (technically, Nebraska) with footage, and have a thread with video on this section. Let me know what you think of my driving, and the track!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 11:16 AM   #7
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Anyone know where these tire racks are made or who sells them? Very nice! Would work great in the garage!

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 12:46 PM   #8
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012 View Post
Nice Job bud. Good to see you out there, and putnam is a track I have to visit next year. Anyways, remember when we met at Gingerman, and I told you about Mid-America Motorplex in Iowa. It was designed by Allan Wilson, the same guy who designed Gingerman, and I don't think you've been there yet. Anyways, I just came back from Iowa (technically, Nebraska) with footage, and have a thread with video on this section. Let me know what you think of my driving, and the track!
Hey dude, thanks. Putnam was a challenge first time out. I was getting passed left and right by the locals/regulars in intermediate! Miatas, S2000's, etc. were flying. I'm already looking to get back though -- maybe with some suspension assistance because I think it could really be enjoyed there... If you target a date let me know.

I do remember you mentioning that track. I'll look around for your thread later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post

Anyone know where these tire racks are made or who sells them? Very nice! Would work great in the garage!
I don't but agreed! Porsche knows -- you could ask them.

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 09:01 PM   #9
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep

Wow, just noticed you picked up an E90 DCT. Are you getting rid of the 6mt?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 03:42 PM   #10
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Hey dude, thanks. Putnam was a challenge first time out. I was getting passed left and right by the locals/regulars in intermediate! Miatas, S2000's, etc. were flying. I'm already looking to get back though -- maybe with some suspension assistance because I think it could really be enjoyed there... If you target a date let me know.
I'm gonna be there May the 9th with 1010ths motorsports, in the advanced group. Hope to see you there
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 10:07 AM   #11
///S65
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SSII DCT

Signed up for the season opener on April 4th at putnam. Cant wait to go back!!! OP, did you experience noticeable oversteer when switching to a square setup? Im running stock wheels for now and considering changing to square setup. The group buy of the EC7s going on right now is a really good deal. But i am not entirely confident over my current driving skill. I dont know if I will be able to handle the car if the car is very prone to oversteer.
      03-09-2015, 10:17 AM   #12
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///S65 View Post
Signed up for the season opener on April 4th at putnam. Cant wait to go back!!! OP, did you experience noticeable oversteer when switching to a square setup? Im running stock wheels for now and considering changing to square setup. The group buy of the EC7s going on right now is a really good deal. But i am not entirely confident over my current driving skill. I dont know if I will be able to handle the car if the car is very prone to oversteer.
Nice, have fun.

Square setup takes balance from understeer to neutral I'd say. Depending upon habits, you might have to adjust some to account for the increased tread up front, but you're not going to be unavoidably tail out all over the place. I'd recommend you go for it. Just take it easy for the initial sessions, be smooth on turn in, and learn the new setup. I haven't met anyone yet who regrets having more tire up front.

Appreciate 0