BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
1fastdoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 R8

Akra exhaust + ESS or Dinan tune? And is this a good deal?

My SA has the Akra Evo exhaust on his E93 convertible, which was previously on his E92 Coupe. With the coupe he had the ESS tune but on the vert he used the Dinan tune due to cheaper cost (for him). The only difference he noticed was that the Dinan does NOT tune out the cold start program.

He's selling the exhaust since he's getting rid of the vert. Cost to me would be $4k for the full exhaust with CF tips and $400 labor (at BMW) to install the exhaust. The tune is an additional $1k.

If I go with the Dinan tune they'll do it at the dealer. If I go ESS I have to buy it and he'll do it at one of the tech's homes. Can't do that one at the dealer. He assures me it won't affect warranty should the worst happen. If it was ESS they'd just return it to factory. The car has 10k miles and 1.5 yrs left on the warranty.

Here's my issue: my commute is 1.5 miles so the car barely gets to nl temps before I'm done driving. I hate how choppy it is when cold so it sounds like I'd need the ESS tune.

Question 1: any reason why I should use the Dinan tune?
Question 2: is $4400 a reasonable price for a used Akra Evo exhaust installed by the dealer?

Quesiont 3: is there anything I'm not considering that I should be?

Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 11:24 PM   #2
HeartMD
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 MW,ZCP E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastdoc View Post
My SA has the Akra Evo exhaust on his E93 convertible, which was previously on his E92 Coupe. With the coupe he had the ESS tune but on the vert he used the Dinan tune due to cheaper cost (for him). The only difference he noticed was that the Dinan does NOT tune out the cold start program.

He's selling the exhaust since he's getting rid of the vert. Cost to me would be $4k for the full exhaust with CF tips and $400 labor (at BMW) to install the exhaust. The tune is an additional $1k.

If I go with the Dinan tune they'll do it at the dealer. If I go ESS I have to buy it and he'll do it at one of the tech's homes. Can't do that one at the dealer. He assures me it won't affect warranty should the worst happen. If it was ESS they'd just return it to factory. The car has 10k miles and 1.5 yrs left on the warranty.

Here's my issue: my commute is 1.5 miles so the car barely gets to nl temps before I'm done driving. I hate how choppy it is when cold so it sounds like I'd need the ESS tune.

Question 1: any reason why I should use the Dinan tune?
Question 2: is $4400 a reasonable price for a used Akra Evo exhaust installed by the dealer?

Quesiont 3: is there anything I'm not considering that I should be?

Thanks guys.
I think that is a great price for the evo sytem. I bought mine from and had it installed up a turner motorsports and it ran me about 7k new. So definately a great deal for the entire system.

Oh I forgot to mention that I hightly doubt that having a tune would be over looked if you had a catastrophic engine failure and trying to get warranty coverage for it. BMW tries their best to get out of pricey warranty work (particularly replacing an S65 motor). Its just the risk you take though ie: you gotta pay to play.
2011.75 E92 MW/BB extended,ZCP,ZP2,ZCV, IPOD,BMW APPS, Heatedseats,6MT, Edition Black Chrome Grills & Side Gills, CF splitters, CF performance spoiler, CF mirror caps, Turner black anodized pedals, Akropovic Evolution exhaust w/CF tips, Still Undecided on tune, AFE Pro5r, AFE intake scoops, LUX H8
2009 E92 JB/Black 335 xdrive (retired)
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 07:49 AM   #3
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I would say BPM tune is the way to go, Evolve would be second on the list, but mike at BPM is really good and he runs an Akra on his own car so you know he's got that tune dialed in.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 08:46 AM   #4
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmike View Post
I would say BPM tune is the way to go, Evolve would be second on the list, but mike at BPM is really good and he runs an Akra on his own car so you know he's got that tune dialed in.
I would highly suggest speaking with Sal@evolve as well
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
1fastdoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Not familiar with the Evolve tune. How is it different than ESS?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #6
AlexTek
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92 2011 ZCP

Go with BPM Sport tune!!!
- Upgrades:MS Stage 2 Intake + Turner Test Pipes + BPM Stage 2 Tune with Coding; Fox Red Novillo/Carbon Leather/Competition Package/Premium Package 2/Convenience Package /Enhanced Premium Sound/Satelite Radio
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #7
AW M3
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 AW M3

A 1.5 mile commute ?! I love to drive my car too, but a 1.5 mile commute ?!
Just kidding, enjoy your car. That's what it's all about.

I've heard Dinan is great when paired with all Dinan products, only so so when not. I've got the ESS tune and am quite happy with it. The car runs crisper, sharper, and also smoother throttle response. Just my opinion, but I really don't think there is much difference between ESS, BPM or Evolve. Go with which one you're most comfortable with.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #8
SouthShoreM3
Passes everything but the gas station
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

OP I have owned both the Dinan tune and ESS. Before going SC almost every component in the vehicle as Dinan minus the AA axle exhaust.

From a performance standpoint for your "butt dyno" I think you will be very happy with the ESS system and feel a better overall throttle response and a bit more power. I don't know why you would have to take your car to one of the shop guys houses as the install of the ESS tune is very easy.

Before I did the ESS tune I had the Dinan race tune, which was for the middle race x pipe. And the Dinan pulley and intake. All worked well and good and never had problems with any of those parts. Very little was to be gained on the software from Dinan that is titled race. It just triggers the CEL from coming on.

I think you will be happy with the Akra and ESS set up with little worry at all with regards to something bad going with the engine. It all depends on how the car was maintained, but stranger things have happened.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #9
1fastdoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

My buddy blew his engine during an HPDE on VIR at 100mph with only 15k on the stock motor. Brings it kind of close to home.

Initially the SA said they'd do the tune at BMW and if they did it there I figure I'd have a better leg to stand on if something happened. He looked into it closer on Friday and said that due to limitations with their wifi they can't do it at the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #10
peeti
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 e90

Had Dinan tune, replaced with BPM. Couldn't be happier - performance wise, not much difference by butt dyno, but losing the cold start worth every penny. Especially with an Akra Evo!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #11
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeti View Post
Had Dinan tune, replaced with BPM. Couldn't be happier - performance wise, not much difference by butt dyno, but losing the cold start worth every penny. Especially with an Akra Evo!
And you can also get Servotronic mod which is another HUGE plus for me.

OP, $400 to install the exhaust is a COMPLETE joke.

Also, I'd recommend driving the car way more. 1.5 miles = more sludge since the oil never gets to temp. That's really bad for the car.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #12
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
My buddy blew his engine during an HPDE on VIR at 100mph with only 15k on the stock motor. Brings it kind of close to home.

Initially the SA said they'd do the tune at BMW and if they did it there I figure I'd have a better leg to stand on if something happened. He looked into it closer on Friday and said that due to limitations with their wifi they can't do it at the dealership.
I have the ESS tune and have been happy with it. You don't need wifi to install the tune. The file get's emailed to you and you upload it to your car with the supplied cable and a PC. I did not like cold start with the Akrapovic exhaust. It is super loud and boomy with tons of base. There is no longer a need for the cold start sequence because it is in place to warm up your cats... which you would be removing. Have you contacted Dinan directly to see if they could remove the cold start? Note that Dinan's warranty is not in effect with their middle section exhaust. I would assume the same holds true for their tune for the exhaust; especially when you aren't pairing their exhaust with the tune. Remember that the Dinan warranty replaces the OEM warranty on some of their products. The OEM warranty doesn't technically remain in place.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #13
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

So are they charging $2400 an hour these days? Because this install is literaly 10 minutes. Shame on your SA.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #14
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
I have the ESS tune and have been happy with it. You don't need wifi to install the tune. The file get's emailed to you and you upload it to your car with the supplied cable and a PC. I did not like cold start with the Akrapovic exhaust. It is super loud and boomy with tons of base. There is no longer a need for the cold start sequence because it is in place to warm up your cats... which you would be removing. Have you contacted Dinan directly to see if they could remove the cold start? Note that Dinan's warranty is not in effect with their middle section exhaust. I would assume the same holds true for their tune for the exhaust; especially when you aren't pairing their exhaust with the tune. Remember that the Dinan warranty replaces the OEM warranty on some of their products. The OEM warranty doesn't technically remain in place.
^ ^ ^ good post.

OP - You'll never regret an ESS tune with the Akra Evo.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #15
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Regarding a tune, since they are all great, you should go with one that is most readily accessible to you in case you need any changes done quickly and etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 12:27 AM   #16
1fastdoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Regarding the exhaust install he said 3-4 hours at shop rate of $110/hr.

It's very hard to find a reputable shop around here to do much of anything and if BMW screws something up at least they can fix it.

As far as tune and availability, nothing is really "close" to Nashville. I know they'll all do pretty much the same thing so I'm favoring whichever has the strongest history. Probably ESS at this point.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 01:44 AM   #17
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

They're all pretty similar in terms of power. Everyone here will tell you to buy what they bought. ALL the threads are like that.

Having said that, you should just get what's cheapest from Evolve, ESS or BMP. They can all take out the cold start and set red line to what you want. Power won't be a huge difference.
Evolve gives you DCT and servo steering tuning included, which is a HUGE savings- at least it was in the past. Not sure if the other venders now match that. Evolve also has an Akra specific tune that's not extra- it tries to make up some of the loss of low end torque the Evo causes.

A little tip, the holidays are coming up and they all had nice deals around Black Friday in the past.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 12:41 PM   #18
1fastdoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Frick. Now I need to read more about the DCT and Servotronic tune. Is there any reason to meddle with those on a car that is 99.5% street driven?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #19
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
Frick. Now I need to read more about the DCT and Servotronic tune. Is there any reason to meddle with those on a car that is 99.5% street driven?
DCT software is a very nice option to have on any car street or track IMO. Servotronic is optional really as steering feedback preference can vary by individual and how the car is being used.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #20
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
I don't have DCT software, but it's suppose to take away the delay when you put it in reverse and shift faster. It's suppose to be the GTS DCT software.

I hate that little delay when going from reverse to drive.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #21
dasvolk
The King of Speeding
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, F90 M5C

Garage List
2006 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
I would highly suggest speaking with Sal@evolve as well
+1 I love my Evolve tuning work, their Servotronic mods are great too
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #22
1fastdoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
I don't have DCT software, but it's suppose to take away the delay when you put it in reverse and shift faster. It's suppose to be the GTS DCT software.

I hate that little delay when going from reverse to drive.
Ohhh. Yeah, I do hate that delay. Makes you look retarded in a parking lot.

Servotronic I'm not sure I'd want. I like the way my car feels on the street and with spirited driving. Never though much about it at M school and when I had my car on Tail of the Dragon and neighboring roads I was actually getting a little fatigued (after around mile 100) due to how tight the steering was.
Appreciate 0