BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

03-21-2010, 10:30 AM   #1
ssemerod
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92

e92 rear seat egress question

as I am 2 hours from nearest dealer I am asking for your help. In regards to folding front seat forward, does it also slide forward after tilted, or does one need to activate the slide button as well.
I am trying to make a model decision as I have 8 and 11 year olds that will occasionally need to be dropped at school and the thought of dirty backpacks being yanked into pillar and front seat is a concern. Looking forward 2 years and 3 shoe sizes, should I give up on e92 and save 3 grand and go for function?
thanks for any replies
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 10:33 AM   #2
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 IB/'17 f85 X5M LBB

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssemerod View Post
as I am 2 hours from nearest dealer I am asking for your help. In regards to folding front seat forward, does it also slide forward after tilted, or does one need to activate the slide button as well.
I am trying to make a model decision as I have 8 and 11 year olds that will occasionally need to be dropped at school and the thought of dirty backpacks being yanked into pillar and front seat is a concern. Looking forward 2 years and 3 shoe sizes, should I give up on e92 and save 3 grand and go for function?
thanks for any replies
If I'm not mistaken, on mine when I tilt, I have to push the slide button too to make the seat go forward. Hope that this help.
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue,6MT,Silver Novillo Leather,CF Trim,Premium Package,Technology Package,Cold Weather Package,Premium Sound,19"Wheels,Moonroof-Toy/'17 X5M, Long Beach Blue, Executive Package,Technology Package, Lighting Package, Driver Assist, Full Mughello Red Interior, 21" wheels-Toy/'14 535i with M Sport and 19" wheels-Daily
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
ssemerod
Private
Rep

thanks, that is what my test drive memories have yielded, but when one is overtaken with emotion, we don't always pay as close attention as we need to.....
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by elm3 View Post
If I'm not mistaken, on mine when I tilt, I have to push the slide button too to make the seat go forward. Hope that this help.
Yep. Ingress is easy using the combo of (1) slide fwd using the top button then (2) tilt.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 11:26 AM   #5
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 e92 M3 6MT

The e92 seat 'egress' system works well for access. I have a 5 yr old and she's able to get in and out easily. I even run the seat full forward and remove the head cushion so she can fully see and enjoy the ride...she loves it. On occasion, my 72yr old Mom rides in the rear seats too and that's no small feat.
So I'd say e92 'versatility' is likely a moot point...

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 12:01 PM   #6
kloh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
I take my 11-year old to school every day. He used to like to ride in the back, which was never a real problem. Now he likes to ride in the front, but also likes to mess with the seat settings, making it real tight for anyone else (side bolsters in, seat up high, as far forward as possible) since he gets a kick out of the stories I tell him about others having a hard time sitting in the seat after he's done with it, hehe. I don't let him ride so close to the front when we're driving, but he usually pulls the seat forward when I drop him off...what a joker.

The only real issue I've had is actually the shoe scrapes on the lower door panel where the pocket is. I've found myself cleaning that more than just a few times.

Wouldn't trade it for 4 doors though.

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 05:35 PM   #7
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

The buttons on the top corner are for moving the seat up and then back to it's old position. The handle tilts the seat. 12 year olds and younger should be just fine in the back. Depending on how much of a contortionist you are, things will be a bit harder if placing one in a child seat in the rear.

I did prefer the way the older E46 M3 seats worked. No power buttons, you pulled the handle to tilt the seat and then the whole thing would move forward and up giving you plenty of room to reach the back seat. You didn't have to wait for the electric motor to move the seat like you do in the E92.

Having said all this, the sedan is still easier to get in and out of the back. And really, there is hardly a difference in the way the sedan and coupe drive. You'll be just as happy driving either so don't sweat it. Only your rear seat passengers will notice a difference.
      03-22-2010, 12:08 AM   #8
whaleboy
Private
Rep
Drives: '05 m3 coupe ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post

I did prefer the way the older E46 M3 seats worked. No power buttons, you pulled the handle to tilt the seat and then the whole thing would move forward and up giving you plenty of room to reach the back seat. You didn't have to wait for the electric motor to move the seat like you do in the E92.
Ouch. I have an e46 coupe with manual seats, and just pull the lever and the seat back tilts forward then the entire seat lifts and moves forward, all in one quick motion. Are you saying that with the new seats, you have to wait for the motors to move the seat? If so, that just plain sucks. I've been planning on upgrading this year, and had talked myself into an e90, even though I really don't think the M3 looks very attractive as a sedan (nothing against sedans, other makes look fine, just the e92 looks SO much better than the e90. Not having luck warming up to the sedan aesthetically, I've recently decided to just go with the coupe again. But, with a kid, I need to access the back seat all the time. In the e46, no big deal, but it sounds like a much more tedious task with the newer models.

If so, that is really annoying.... I know they drive the same, but every time I see pics of the e90, it just doesn't do much for me.

If the seat is in a mid point position, how long does it take to get it fully forward and back to the same position again?

Thanks

-David
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 09:57 AM   #9
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaleboy View Post
Ouch. I have an e46 coupe with manual seats, and just pull the lever and the seat back tilts forward then the entire seat lifts and moves forward, all in one quick motion. Are you saying that with the new seats, you have to wait for the motors to move the seat? If so, that just plain sucks. I've been planning on upgrading this year, and had talked myself into an e90, even though I really don't think the M3 looks very attractive as a sedan (nothing against sedans, other makes look fine, just the e92 looks SO much better than the e90. Not having luck warming up to the sedan aesthetically, I've recently decided to just go with the coupe again. But, with a kid, I need to access the back seat all the time. In the e46, no big deal, but it sounds like a much more tedious task with the newer models.

If so, that is really annoying.... I know they drive the same, but every time I see pics of the e90, it just doesn't do much for me.

If the seat is in a mid point position, how long does it take to get it fully forward and back to the same position again?

Thanks

-David
Yes, unless somebody knows of another way, you must wait for the motors to move the seat forward. The tilt mechanism is manual however and you don't have to slide the seat all the way up. You can move the seat forward only as much as you want; no need to slide it all the way unless you really need the room. I'd say that if you were putting a kid in a child seat in the back then you need the front seat all the way up to give you room to maneuver. Someone other than a child seat user should be able to get into the back with just a tilt, unless they're really big.

However, I don't see this as a deal breaker. It's just annoying. I live with it, although I take the kids in the SUV, not the M3. Also, I don't see the sedan as being any uglier than the coupe. Some even prefer its looks.

Cheers.
      03-22-2010, 11:44 AM   #10
kloh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
M3 Sedan looks great IMO. No comparison to the regular E90's. If convenience is important, I'd go for the sedan. In my case, it was less about convenience since we have a family car for that. I can't even fit my wife and 3 kids in my E92 unless someone sat on a lap, hehe.

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 01:14 PM   #11
335 S
Vile and Depraved
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Go with the coupe. I have the E93, and my 4, 8, and 11 year old kids love it. The 11 year old is quite tall. The older two rotate who gets front. Also, my two 43 year old business partners have no problem squeezing in the back for lunch trips.

Don't compromise unless it's absolutely necessary.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 01:30 PM   #12
ssemerod
Private
Rep

I agree with all responses, thanks. it is just frustrating though, that bmw could not have done a better job with the seat functions. probably a diabolical plan to have users replace seat motors after warranty is up..lol
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 02:10 PM   #13
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335 S View Post
Go with the coupe. I have the E93, and my 4, 8, and 11 year old kids love it. The 11 year old is quite tall. The older two rotate who gets front. Also, my two 43 year old business partners have no problem squeezing in the back for lunch trips.

Don't compromise unless it's absolutely necessary.
Don't compromise??? In most states putting an 8 or 11 year old, of any size, in the front seat is not only illegal, but HIGHLY dangerous even with dual stage airbags.
Appreciate 0