BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

08-27-2012, 07:44 PM   #89
rolando316
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E92

I own a 335i... only because I can't afford the m3 yet.

I would like to consider myself a "reasonable" 335i owner and while I love the N54 and the potential that it has, I would trade it for an M3 in a hot second. As pointed out many times, just because BMW made the 335i a little too good that doesn't make the M3 any worse.

EVERYTIME I see an M3 I go out of my way to stare at it and I can't imagine doing that with another 335i unless it's cleanly modded.

I can't wait to see what kind of potential the new m3's are going to have with those turbos
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 08:06 PM   #90
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoM3ForMe View Post
Never argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
One of the best quotes I have ever read. I'm throwing this one in vault
      08-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #91
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Yes I did...and I'm a "former" n54 335 owner. Don't be confused, I'm referring to the n54, not the n55.

Yeah these motors are sooooooooo different. Both are inline 6 cyl, 3.0 litre turbocharged motors with forged internals. Apples to oranges

The single turbo n54's are making 650 wheel right now and they just came out...and the internals have nothing to do with these "low" numbers right now. These singles are going on daily driver cars like Sikh335, Captaininsano, CupertinoSteve and FBIS where these guys are getting full spool at 3,500 RPM and want to keep daily drivability. These are small 58 and 62mm turbos. The single turbo supra's making 1,000 wheel are at full spool much higher in the RPM band with much larger turbos. The n54's will keep pushing and pushing as we are just in the infancy of single turbo upgrades.

AND I've been in quite a few single turbo Supra's as well as Shiv's single turbo 335. He took me for a spin just after beating a Ferrari 458 Italia at Trona. The visceral experience and power delivery are very similar.

How many single turbo 335's have you driven in?

This is exactly what you guys long for, to beat a car that is, like i said BETTER than yours. I just don't think you understand.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #92
turb0mik3
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Racecar

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]

#gameover
Fuck M3's. That is why I am getting one as a daily.

But in all seriousness. Both are SUPER awesome cars. N54 & S65. Two of the best engines BMW has ever built!!!

And yes, there are some HUGE 335i tools who can't back their own crap up. There are also HUGE M3 tools who just buy the car for the 'M.' Either way, the purists know that both cars can hold their own.

SOOOO stoked for my M.

HG Motorsports | Motiv Motorsport | Sparta Evolution | BBS Motorsports | Sabelt | JRZ |
NASA ST1 SoCal --- 554whp/487wtrq --- 3200lbs <<YouTube Channel w/ Race Videos>>
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 09:05 PM   #93
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by turb0mike View Post

#gameover

But in all seriousness. Both are SUPER awesome cars. N54 & S65. Two of the best engines BMW has ever built!!!

And yes, there are some HUGE 335i tools who can't back their own crap up. There are also HUGE M3 tools who just buy the car for the 'M.' Either way, the purists know that both cars can hold their own.

SOOOO stoked for my M.
Nice 3er ....looks you have done some work too..damn I miss mine..would have loved to have both at the same time..just so I could say..

sometime Im a little bit country..sometimes a little bit rock and roll..

Im not saying which is which..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 10:12 PM   #94
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by turb0mike View Post
#gameover

SOOOO stoked for my M.
What's up Mike - you are getting an M3 as well?!?! Congratulations!

I presume you will be tracking your 335 and not the M3. Last time I saw your 335 was back in November when you were just completing the wide body conversion. Can't wait to see how everything turned out. Pics look fantastic. My 2013 e92 M3 should be fully set up by the next Willow event with springs, race pads, ESS VT2 600 supercharger, meth and exhaust. I only hope to be able to keep up with your 335!
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 11:29 PM   #95
turb0mik3
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Racecar

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
What's up Mike - you are getting an M3 as well?!?! Congratulations!

I presume you will be tracking your 335 and not the M3. Last time I saw your 335 was back in November when you were just completing the wide body conversion. Can't wait to see how everything turned out. Pics look fantastic. My 2013 e92 M3 should be fully set up by the next Willow event with springs, race pads, ESS VT2 600 supercharger, meth and exhaust. I only hope to be able to keep up with your 335!
You going on the 30th to Buttonwillow with Speed District? I'm doing that then the next day at autoclub, HAHAHA.

HG Motorsports | Motiv Motorsport | Sparta Evolution | BBS Motorsports | Sabelt | JRZ |
NASA ST1 SoCal --- 554whp/487wtrq --- 3200lbs <<YouTube Channel w/ Race Videos>>
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 11:43 PM   #96
Giggs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8

My turn and I left my ego at home for this one..

I owned a 335 back when they first came out in 2007 - it was my first BMW and I thought it was one of the best looking cars on the road. Kept it stock and LOVED IT!!! Although back then there werent too many on the street; mine was like #2 in SoCal or something and obviously the M3 hadnt come out yet. It felt like every other car on the street was tryin to race to see what this new turbo was made of. Drove it like i stole it on a daily basis. Torque(y), great handling, great looking... was having the time of my life. Unfortunately I had to get rid of it when the market crashed and my business dropped by 90%. Fell on tough times and missed it dearly.

Shortly after I sold my 335 the first generation of the new M3 was released. Holy crap the M3 was sexy!! At the time I never thought I could afford one so I didn't even give thought to owning one. Over the next few years I would look on Autotrader just to see if there was a possibility I could jump back in another 335 because it was so much fun.

In early 2011 business took off. I was able to save and payoff old debts. By late 2011 i figured what the heck ill look into buying a used 335. But then I had this grand idea one day, ill go over to South Bay BMW and see if they have an M3 to test drive - just for kicks. I had heard how amazing it was but figured there was no way it was THAT much different than the 335. It couldnt be. Well... I was wrong.

For a week after the test drive I couldnt wipe the smile off my face. Power was totally raw, handling was tight and precise, it stopped on a dime, exhaust tone was addicting... I could go on and on. Within two weeks of test driving that car I had one in my driveway. Didnt even think twice about a 335. As much as I loved the 335 it just didnt compare and had nothing to do with the M badge or no M badge. They are both great cars but there is just something special about the M. Dont get me wrong, when I used to get in my 335 I thought it was the sh*t, and it was a blast; it was comfortable, I felt in control, quick and like I was part of the car (somewhat). However now when I get in the M3 I feel like the car becomes an extension of my body, like I am one with the car - nothing more needs to be said here. I have mad respect for how fast 335s are and Im sure there are some out there quicker than me. But I dont care, there will always be a car that is faster, more expensive, whatever. To me owning the M3 is about the experience, becoming one with the car and smiling everytime I get in it. I loved the 335, but now that Ive been injected with the M3 goods I will never look back.

Last edited by Giggs; 08-27-2012 at 11:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 12:00 AM   #97
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

^Stopped reading at "owned a 335i and kept it stock"
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 12:13 AM   #98
Giggs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
^Stopped reading at "owned a 335i and kept it stock"
Ha. When I owned it there wasnt much you could do with it that was reliable. If you kept reading you would get that.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 12:34 AM   #99
loflier
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP DCT E92 2005 4Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggs View Post
I have mad respect for how fast 335s are and Im sure there are some out there quicker than me. But I dont care, there will always be a car that is faster, more expensive, whatever.
Precisely how I feel. There will ALWAYS be a car faster than mine. Shit, A LOT of cars faster than mine. But I can care less.

Well said.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 03:20 AM   #100
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Awesome thread

I've modded my 335i to a point where it hurts But now it's just the perfect blend between a daily driver and a track toy. I can slap the semislicks on for a trackday and take my daughter to school the next day. Not many cars can achieve that.

However, when I decided to get the 335i vs the M3 three years ago, there's no way I had planned to mod the car to this extent. Other factors were more important: fuel consumption (I can't live with a car that consumes 16l/100 in daily driving), no torque (I like the feel of turbo engines), higher maintenance and insurance costs. The //M just didn't offer me enough "plus-value" to overcome these shortcomings.

So $35k in mods later, I guess the extra fuel costs wouldn't have been so dramatic ;o) But when I do the math, it would at the very least take the following mods to make the M3 equal or superior to my 335i:

Supercharger $15k
BBK $7k
Seats, interior mods $4k
Suspension $3k
Exhaust $2k
Wheels $2k

In the end it really wouldn't have been cheaper. Would I be happier with such a modded M3? Possibly. Do I envy a stock M3? No way. Cars I envy now would be the 997 GT3 or the Z06. But that's a different topic

My verdict after three years in the E9x scene is: out of the box the M3 offers the better package, at a cost though. The N54 335i has alot of potential but needs substantial mods to turn it into a real sports car. But modding is part of the fun and I've met great people through this hobby!
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 08:39 AM   #101
Simma
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggs View Post
My turn and I left my ego at home for this one..

I owned a 335 back when they first came out in 2007 - it was my first BMW and I thought it was one of the best looking cars on the road. Kept it stock and LOVED IT!!! Although back then there werent too many on the street; mine was like #2 in SoCal or something and obviously the M3 hadnt come out yet. It felt like every other car on the street was tryin to race to see what this new turbo was made of. Drove it like i stole it on a daily basis. Torque(y), great handling, great looking... was having the time of my life. Unfortunately I had to get rid of it when the market crashed and my business dropped by 90%. Fell on tough times and missed it dearly.

Shortly after I sold my 335 the first generation of the new M3 was released. Holy crap the M3 was sexy!! At the time I never thought I could afford one so I didn't even give thought to owning one. Over the next few years I would look on Autotrader just to see if there was a possibility I could jump back in another 335 because it was so much fun.

In early 2011 business took off. I was able to save and payoff old debts. By late 2011 i figured what the heck ill look into buying a used 335. But then I had this grand idea one day, ill go over to South Bay BMW and see if they have an M3 to test drive - just for kicks. I had heard how amazing it was but figured there was no way it was THAT much different than the 335. It couldnt be. Well... I was wrong.

For a week after the test drive I couldnt wipe the smile off my face. Power was totally raw, handling was tight and precise, it stopped on a dime, exhaust tone was addicting... I could go on and on. Within two weeks of test driving that car I had one in my driveway. Didnt even think twice about a 335. As much as I loved the 335 it just didnt compare and had nothing to do with the M badge or no M badge. They are both great cars but there is just something special about the M. Dont get me wrong, when I used to get in my 335 I thought it was the sh*t, and it was a blast; it was comfortable, I felt in control, quick and like I was part of the car (somewhat). However now when I get in the M3 I feel like the car becomes an extension of my body, like I am one with the car - nothing more needs to be said here. I have mad respect for how fast 335s are and Im sure there are some out there quicker than me. But I dont care, there will always be a car that is faster, more expensive, whatever. To me owning the M3 is about the experience, becoming one with the car and smiling everytime I get in it. I loved the 335, but now that Ive been injected with the M3 goods I will never look back.
Very well written.

This has become a 335 vs m3 thread sadly. To each his own opinion. It just really annoys me to hear half the 335 guys on here go on and on about their mods. Just keep one thing in mind: Anyone who owns an m3 could have owned a 335i and maybe even a toy 328i on the side. Just sitting in the drivers seat of both cars STOCK with the engine turned off is night and day difference, keep that in mind.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 08:41 AM   #102
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Why do this conversation always turn to modding a 335? what's the point?

any modded car can be faster than any stock car. In this logic, I've considered a Dodge Neon SRT vs a 335i. With my bolt ons, a GT35R turbo and tune I can run circles around every 335i....

So you stupid POSs all got it wrong, SRT4 > 335 > M3, come at me bro:

Last edited by mdosu; 08-28-2012 at 08:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 09:02 AM   #103
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
With my bolt ons, a GT35R turbo and tune I can run circles around every 335i....
Nice Neon, looks quick if it can hook up in a straight line...but looking at it I'm not sure it can even turn in circles let alone run around a 335
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 09:03 AM   #104
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simma View Post
Very well written.

This has become a 335 vs m3 thread sadly. To each his own opinion. It just really annoys me to hear half the 335 guys on here go on and on about their mods. Just keep one thing in mind: Anyone who owns an m3 could have owned a 335i and maybe even a toy 328i on the side. Just sitting in the drivers seat of both cars STOCK with the engine turned off is night and day difference, keep that in mind.
I get your point, but the //M logo seems to influence your reasoning a bit too much

The two main advantages of the M3 over the standard E9x lie in the handling and, arguably, in the engine. Now how do you feel that whilst just staring at your M3 dashboard?

About the modding: just look at the Photo section on this forum: how many stock M3s are portraited there?? A stock M3 is nice, but no way it's the "be all, end all" machine some want it to be.
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 09:19 AM   #105
e92livin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Fuck 335s it boils down to how you drive your M3.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 09:30 AM   #106
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92livin View Post
Fuck 335s it boils down to how you drive your M3.
Your statement makes me understand why Jeremy Clarkson says that M3 drivers have no friends...
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #107
alms211
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn335i View Post
I get your point, but the //M logo seems to influence your reasoning a bit too much

The two main advantages of the M3 over the standard E9x lie in the handling and, arguably, in the engine. Now how do you feel that whilst just staring at your M3 dashboard?

About the modding: just look at the Photo section on this forum: how many stock M3s are portraited there?? A stock M3 is nice, but no way it's the "be all, end all" machine some want it to be.
You get your kicks out of going fast 1,320 feet at a time. Whooopeee. That's like banging your own sister...yeah, you're getting laid but it's your sister. Taking a well handling/balanced car to a real race track where you actually turn the steering wheel to the left and to the right is like banging Eva Longoria. See the difference?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #108
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alms211 View Post
You get your kicks out of going fast 1,320 feet at a time. Whooopeee. That's like banging your own sister...yeah, you're getting laid but it's your sister. Taking a well handling/balanced car to a real race track where you actually turn the steering wheel to the left and to the right is like banging Eva Longoria. See the difference?

i think so, to this date on M3post we shall formally set forth the following analogy:

driving modded 335i = your own sister
driving M3 = Eva Longoria
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 10:15 AM   #109
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

Quote:
Wrong as there are people here researching their next car...not everyone is an M3 owner/M3 fanboy like you. For people actually interested in performance numbers, the combination of a tune + meth or e85 tune mated with these items will do 0-60 in 3.5 sec...qtr mile in high 11's @ 120...destroy the M3 in any roll-on scenario...and is very competitive around a track...at a $20-$30K cost savings. But I get it...you want a car that makes you "feel" special.
You mad bro? It's funny you're calling IFX an M3 fanboy, when you appear to be the ultimate 335 fanboy... even as going as far to compare the 335 to a supra
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #110
LSPowered
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MAZDASPEED6 GT

Everyone has their own opinion. Just buy what you like & be done with it.
Appreciate 0