BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

03-30-2009, 12:38 PM   #1
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

enhanced premium sound

i also have a complaint about the enhanced premium sound. My issue is that it sounds like i have a lot of low end distortion on some songs no matter how low i turn the eq in that range or adjust the bass setting down. I have installed an aftermarket mtx 10 in the trunk which is driven with another amp so my low end is taken care of in this manner. I cant seem to tune out the stock distortion though. Any hints. to me it sounds like one of my speakers is blown as i am the second owner it may be a possiblility?

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 12:44 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
i also have a complaint about the enhanced premium sound. My issue is that it sounds like i have a lot of low end distortion on some songs no matter how low i turn the eq in that range or adjust the bass setting down. I have installed an aftermarket mtx 10 in the trunk which is driven with another amp so my low end is taken care of in this manner. I cant seem to tune out the stock distortion though. Any hints. to me it sounds like one of my speakers is blown as i am the second owner it may be a possiblility?
What is the production date of your M3?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 01:12 PM   #3
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

not for sure what that is? It was originally purchased in may of 08?

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
not for sure what that is? It was originally purchased in may of 08?
That will put its production date of around 03/08... if you bought it used it could have gone thru an overheated OEM amp, thus causing that distortion that you are experiencing, either because the amp is bad or the speakers got damaged because of that OEM amp. Premium OEM amps up to production 03/08 did not have a cooling fan, so they are more prone to overheat and even to damage the speakers.

The easiest way for you to see if you have the upgraded amp or not is to physically see if your OEM amp has a cooling fan. If not you should check with you dealer for either any reported past problem with this sound system, any OEM amp fault logged into the car computer database lately or just for a general check up of your audio system.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

thanks i have a service next month its one year old so i will mention the audio. Its weird to me that its only apparent on certain songs. otherwise sounds great and the added base from my extra 10 makes it even better. im only finding 11 speakers. Where are the rear tweeters and the second set of rear deck lid speakers. Are they hidden?

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 01:45 PM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
thanks i have a service next month its one year old so i will mention the audio. Its weird to me that its only apparent on certain songs. otherwise sounds great and the added base from my extra 10 makes it even better. im only finding 11 speakers. Where are the rear tweeters and the second set of rear deck lid speakers. Are they hidden?
There are 16 speakers in the Premium Audio in your Sedan, it is just that 3 of the speakers are coaxials (rear doors and center speakers). The rest (front doors and rear deck) are component and the 2 underseat subs.

Total: 16.
Appreciate 0