BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-16-2010, 06:31 PM   #1
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3

Suspension/brake mods and warranty

It seems that suspension mods are more warranty-friendly than most others, but I just want to be sure.

I am looking at Ground Control springs and camber plates. They work with stock EDC shocks. If I put them on and stock shocks die, what's the likely outcome of the warranty claim? Also, if I get this kit, it is a dead give-away I am tracking the car. In my mind it should not be a problem - BMW advertises it as a track-ready car, after all. But will dealer use it to void warranty on engine or deny free maintenance on brakes?

Another question is if I am using higher performance pads, can dealer deny free maintenance on the rotors? Technically, the pads may result in higher rotor wear, but I am saving them the cost of brake pads after all.

I am all for pay-to-play - just want to know the price. Also my car came with extended warranty and maintenance packages, so I was hoping to take at least some advantage of them.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 04:52 PM   #2
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

sorry but any modifications to a certain part of the car will most likely result in voiding the warranty of that part. for example, if you install aftermarket springs and the socks give way, you WILL be responsible for the replacement cost of a new shock. the stock shocks are not meant to work with aftermarket springs so if it gives way, bmw will blame the aftermarket part.

this is the same with brake pads. your rotor warranty will automatically be void once you use track pads especially since race pads are often more harsh on the rotors than regular pads.

now if you want to ensure that bmw keeps your warranty intake, make sure you have a good relationship with your service advisor. they are the ones that can help you out by ensuring that you dont lose your warranty because u installed something. the other way of getting around this is to install things like race pads only on track days and then revert back to regular pads once youre off the track so when u bring your car in for service, none of the service people will know that you had those parts installed before.

if youre worried bout warranty, my suggestion is to avoid mods like springs and race pads for as long as possible.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 05:10 AM   #3
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

I can agree on non-OEM parts voiding the warrenty but I was under the understanding that brake pads/rotors is a wear item and not under warrenty at all. I guess if within the 4 year warrenty if a disc cracked, would it be under warrenty if one did not change pads or parts?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2010, 02:22 PM   #4
M II
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Check into the Magnusson Moss Warranty Act.

The damage has to be confirmed that it was caused by the part to deny a warranty claim. This is a Federal law as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 04:45 AM   #5
WillC310
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A car

Quote:
Originally Posted by **********s II View Post
Check into the Magnusson Moss Warranty Act.

The damage has to be confirmed that it was caused by the part to deny a warranty claim. This is a Federal law as well.
I've seen the MM warranty act mentioned a lot in forums, but very few people actually post about real life experiences with it. I have had a real life experience with it... and let me tell you, just because you say it on a forum, doesn't mean they will actually cover anything. I told everyone at BMW cust relations, my service advisor, the BMW Field service engineer, etc that according to MM, they had to prove it, etc.. Know what they did? Ignored me. So unless you're prepared to pay out of pocket for a lawyer, do NOT expect anything to come from just saying "Magnusson moss".
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 06:10 AM   #6
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

the only susp i did that was covered was a JRZ kit by Dinan but i believe dinan paid for it when i had to replace a part. but like the guys said if you replace it they will try to blame it on that, like diff pads they deny the rotors etc.

best bet is to find a dealer with a cool SA and take care of him and go from there
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 11:53 AM   #7
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Just swap the OEM pads back in before you take it to the dealer and scrub your track pad material off the rotors. That should do the trick there.
As for your EDC shocks, if you use the GC kit, your warranty will be gone on them for sure.