BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

06-20-2013, 10:27 PM   #23
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Now someone needs to dyno this X-pipe on a FBO car vs. an Evo.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 10:35 PM   #24
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus
Now someone needs to dyno this X-pipe on a FBO car vs. an Evo.
I can tell you that malek@MRF's car is just his velaforza exhaust and tune and he's putting down a little over 400hp to the wheels.

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 10:44 PM   #25
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Boost drop is a clear indicator the akra was more restrictive, dead giveaway on a supercharged car.

Last edited by Richbot; 06-21-2013 at 05:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #26
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriskm3 View Post
Guys. Comparing catted vs catless xpipe is not fair game. Akra will pass emmisons where catless will not.
Akra will not pass emissions in CA. Not sure about other states.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 11:27 AM   #27
Jbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 FO M4

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [9.44]
I wonder what the difference would be with AA HFC x-pipe vs the Akra Evo HFC x-pipe given the AA HFCs are positioned as primaries and the Akra HFCs are positioned as secondaries.
Fire Orange F82 Built by Alekshop | Pure Stage 2 Turbos | Akrapovic Evolution and Downpipes | ESS T-500 Performance ECU Software | Evolution Racewerks Chargepipes | Gruppe M CAI | Awron Gauge w/ Valve Control | KW Clubsport | Brembo GT 380 F&R | 19" BBS FI-R | BMW Performance Seats, Aero, and Steering Wheel | Vorsteiner Diffuser | IND Cosmetics
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #28
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I mean if people start clamoring for this exhaust he'd be making a mistake if he didn't.

And at the price he's charging, I fully expect people to be lining up.
exactly. i remember i pm'ed him awhile back and was curious what they went for. he charged a very fair price for what was being offered imo
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #29
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbook View Post
I wonder what the difference would be with AA HFC x-pipe vs the Akra Evo HFC x-pipe given the AA HFCs are positioned as primaries and the Akra HFCs are positioned as secondaries.
Usually the further downstream the restriction, the lower the impact on peak power, would be a good same day/dyno/car test
      06-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #30
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I can tell you that malek@MRF's car is just his velaforza exhaust and tune and he's putting down a little over 400hp to the wheels.
This is what did it for me - check out the dyno from an otherwise bone stock m3 with and without the MRF exhaust. When I was trying to figure out which exhaust combo to go with, it wasn't just about peak power (although that was an important consideration). Even with the 625 supercharger, I still felt that the car lacked mid-range punch. The MRF did it's job and gave me a bunch of mid-range to balance it out. What is crazy is the almost 50 RWTQ increase over stock on an NA car at 5K RPM. That is insane!

http://www.mrfengineering.com/wp-con...-velaforza.jpg

Oh yeah, after going for a ride in Malek's car I was like WTF this thing is so visceral and fast as hell. It felt WAAAAAAYYYYY faster than my stock M3. Other than the full MRF exhaust I think it also has a tune but nothing else.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #31
Jbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 FO M4

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [9.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Usually the further downstream the restriction, the lower the impact on peak power, would be a good same day/dyno/car test
I dunno why I said that, I actually did dyno same day with an e93 also with ESS 625 and he had the Akra Evo. Both of us had 20" wheels at the time and our HP numbers were pretty even, but my car was making significantly less torque... I'm having my car checked for boost leaks today and also replacing the belt tensioner as the belt is slipping at higher RPM shifts.

Regardless, I've since switched to 19" BBS FI and will be going catless to see if the gains are worth the rasp and smell.
Fire Orange F82 Built by Alekshop | Pure Stage 2 Turbos | Akrapovic Evolution and Downpipes | ESS T-500 Performance ECU Software | Evolution Racewerks Chargepipes | Gruppe M CAI | Awron Gauge w/ Valve Control | KW Clubsport | Brembo GT 380 F&R | 19" BBS FI-R | BMW Performance Seats, Aero, and Steering Wheel | Vorsteiner Diffuser | IND Cosmetics
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #32
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
what about the weight difference between the two?
I believe the MRF unit is within 1 pound of the Akra Unit - it might even be lighter. Malek@MRF will be in a better position to give a precise answer. Either way, the weights are very close, which I think will surprise a lot of people.

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #33
elim11
Major
Rep
Drives: e90m3

Nice write up esquire. That is a huge surprise, since many people consider Akra to be the gold standard. Enjoy your new-found power!

I am interested to see the technical reasoning behind this. Hopefully Malek can chime in.
      06-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #34
Jive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

That is stunning. Could it be because the HFC on the Akra are somewhat restrictive on a FI set up? Perhaps the real test should be Gintani catless X-pipe vs Akra GT4 X-pipe vs MRF catless X-pipe.

Enjoy your new found gains! I suspect a resurgence in demand for this mythical unicorn X-pipe.
      06-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #35
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Crazy results. My impression was that there were negligible gains to be had catless over Akra mid (or high flow equivalent), and dyno tests confirmed as much. Guess they were using the wrong catless x pipes for comparison testing?
That's my understanding as well - namely that High flow (100 Cel) cats have minimal impact on power/torque, and certainly not a 30 HP/ 26 TQ worth of impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Boost drop is a clear indicator the akra was more restrictive, dead giveaway on a supercharged car.
Agreed. Boost is in part a function of volumetric efficiency. More restriction means higher boost, and vice versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
exactly. i remember i pm'ed him awhile back and was curious what they went for. he charged a very fair price for what was being offered imo
Yeah. MRF is charging considerably less than for its X-pipe and full exhaust than the Akra Units. By a large margin. Made my decision to pull the trigger pretty easy actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
This is what did it for me - check out the dyno from an otherwise bone stock m3 with and without the MRF exhaust. When I was trying to figure out which exhaust combo to go with, it wasn't just about peak power (although that was an important consideration). Even with the 625 supercharger, I still felt that the car lacked mid-range punch. The MRF did it's job and gave me a bunch of mid-range to balance it out. What is crazy is the almost 50 RWTQ increase over stock on an NA car at 5K RPM. That is insane!

http://www.mrfengineering.com/wp-con...-velaforza.jpg

Oh yeah, after going for a ride in Malek's car I was like WTF this thing is so visceral and fast as hell. It felt WAAAAAAYYYYY faster than my stock M3. Other than the full MRF exhaust I think it also has a tune but nothing else.
Holy Sh**. That ~50 TQ delta over OEM is insane. And yeah, Malek's car is easily the fastest non-supercharged M3 i've been in, and he doesn't even have pulleys or air intake. Just the Velaforza Exhaust and tune. Thing is nuts. It pulls like a friggin freight train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elim11 View Post
Nice write up esquire. That is a huge surprise, since many people consider Akra to be the gold standard. Enjoy your new-found power!

I am interested to see the technical reasoning behind this. Hopefully Malek can chime in.
Thanks. I've been enjoying the power so much. The car is so much fun to drive now. And yeah, I think Malek@MRF is in a better position to comment on the technical aspects of this X-pipe. Hopefully he chimes in soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive View Post
That is stunning. Could it be because the HFC on the Akra are somewhat restrictive on a FI set up? Perhaps the real test should be Gintani catless X-pipe vs Akra GT4 X-pipe vs MRF catless X-pipe.

Enjoy your new found gains! I suspect a resurgence in demand for this mythical unicorn X-pipe.
That would be an interesting test. My understanding is that the regular Akra actually puts down more HP than the Akra GT4 in supercharged applications - though that sounds counter-intuitive to me. Like Longboarder said, EAS has observed that the regular Akra is, generally speaking, putting down the best numbers on supercharged cars.

I wish people could feel how insane fast this car is now compared to how it was before. Its seriously ferocious. The fact that the car is getting to 575 on 91 octane... I'm thinking I might have a chance of hitting 600 Hp to the wheels on 95 octane.

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 09:54 PM   #36
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Anyone have a pic of this uberX-pipe??
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 09:57 PM   #37
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Anyone have a pic of this uberX-pipe??
From a For Sale Thread here on the forums

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 10:43 PM   #38
OCKlasse
Rep
Drives: CL55 AMG

I call Photoshop.

-Brandon
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 06:00 AM   #39
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

He has the X located further forward than on some x-pipes. From what I understand, the X should be located close to the end of the headers, but the transmission usually gets in the way on V8s. I think RPI also puts the X further forward than most x-pipes.

The X may be more carefully welded in the X section and that could help the balance of flow. Some of the X-pipes using longer curved sections for the X do not allow the builder access to the inside mating surfaces to make sure they fit well.

The rest is 2.5 inch pipe, and 2.5 inch pipe is 2.5 inch pipe.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 10:12 PM   #40
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Guys. Comparing catted vs catless xpipe is not fair game. Akra will pass emmisons where catless will not
Untrue actually. Akra has no primary cats, so it will not pass emissions.

So as far as emissions go, catless and akra are identical since neither have cats between the primary and secondary o2 sensors.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 11:15 PM   #41
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers
Quote:
Guys. Comparing catted vs catless xpipe is not fair game. Akra will pass emmisons where catless will not

So as far as emissions go, catless and akra are identical since neither have cats between the primary and secondary o2 sensors.
My Akra has 2 100 cel HFC's

Only the Akra GT4 is Catless.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 06:01 AM   #42
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
My Akra has 2 100 cel HFC's

Only the Akra GT4 is Catless.
Not between the o2 sensors.

The akra has cats further downstream which has no affect on emissions testing since they are after the secondary o2s
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 06:06 AM   #43
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post

Very true. Thanks
Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 07:06 AM   #44
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Very nice gains
Appreciate 0