BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

07-26-2012, 07:45 PM   #23
AKW777
Rep
Drives: 330i E46

guys did anyone know where i can find gearbox getrag BMW 6 speed full kit. PLZ
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 01:41 AM   #24
chief
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Melbourne Red M3 Coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.51]
Well, the leaking hose was replaced today. Took the mech nearly the quoted 7 hours to complete the job. To the best of my recollection, he had to remove the tranny (the top connection for the hose is above the trans), replace the hose, install the tranny, clean it all up, check for any other leaks, and test for any faults. I took the car out and ran it hard for about 15 minutes, working through the various shift programs and all seems good to go.

Chief
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 05:06 AM   #25
PurM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 vert

I was just told by my mechanics that my car had this problem and the car is out of warranty. I'm hoping that I don't have to replace the whole tranny. If that's the case I might just have to dump it.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #26
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurM3 View Post
I was just told by my mechanics that my car had this problem and the car is out of warranty. I'm hoping that I don't have to replace the whole tranny. If that's the case I might just have to dump it.
If it is only the hoses that are leaking, they are relatively inexpensive to purchase, and not all that difficult to replace for a skilled mechanic.

The entire trans does not have to come out to replace the hoses. It's possible to change them without moving the trans at all (this is how our techs perform the work), but if you want to make the work a bit easier you can loosen the crossmember, put the trans on a screw jack, and lower it slightly to provide more space.
      12-21-2012, 04:48 AM   #27
Raucky2000
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SGM E90 M3 dct

Just thinking about the smg tranny makes me wanna
Hopefully they get it fixed in a hurry for you
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 06:47 AM   #28
e90m3japan
Second Lieutenant
Japan
Rep
Drives: e90 m3 melbourne Red Metallic

I had this problem last year, twice. First, I put the car into yearly maintenance and they told me the hoses were leaking and they replaced it. And second time, I took it in for a software update and they told me it was leaking again. So they replaced it and they told me if it keeps on leaking that they had to replace the tranny. Because, they figure that it wasn't just the hose it was the screw thread on the tranny its self.
Hope yours get settled soon.
      07-03-2015, 07:30 PM   #29
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, CTS-V, AMG GT S, Tesla

I am bumping this thread because it was useful to me when I was investigating and fixing my DCT's leak. I had transmission oil on the hoses, bottom oil pan and hydraulics side seal. The dealer (Charlie@McKennaBMWService - thanks Charlie!) investigated and found the source of the leaks to be from the side seal and oil pan gasket.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 09:49 PM   #30
chief
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.51]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 414bhp View Post
I am bumping this thread because it was useful to me when I was investigating and fixing my DCT's leak. I had transmission oil on the hoses, bottom oil pan and hydraulics side seal. The dealer (Charlie@McKennaBMWService - thanks Charlie!) investigated and found the source of the leaks to be from the side seal and oil pan gasket.
Good to hear that the guys at McKenna got you back on the road!

While I'll defer to the mechs of this forum, I understand that the transmission oil pan gasket is weak and a common leak point. In fact mine was wet when up on a lift last week - not enough to leave oil on the floor, just enough to make the exterior of the gasket and edges of the pan wet.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 09:05 PM   #31
BLiteM
Rep
Drives: 99,04,09 M3s(all sold)2013 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief View Post
I was at the dealership this morning for some routine service and while the car was up on the rack the tech discovered a leak in one of the two external lines running to & from the trans thermostat block . They opened a ticket with BMWNA and I'm awaiting the verdict. According to the tech and my SA, BMW (currently?) doesn't make these lines, but rather generally replaces the entire transmission. Anyone have any experience with something similar?

Thanks,
Chief
I recently had my car inspected at the dealership, and these line were leaking(the tech let me go in the shop to look under the car with them). I would like to know if I can replace these lines and then make sure the fluid is at the correct level or will I have to have the dealer/mechanic hook the car up to the computer after replacing these lines? I want to try to avoid an $1100 job if the parts are only $260.

Any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 10:55 PM   #32
chief
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.51]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLiteM View Post
I recently had my car inspected at the dealership, and these line were leaking(the tech let me go in the shop to look under the car with them). I would like to know if I can replace these lines and then make sure the fluid is at the correct level or will I have to have the dealer/mechanic hook the car up to the computer after replacing these lines? I want to try to avoid an $1100 job if the parts are only $260.

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to your question. Maybe someone with a bit more direct experience can comment.

Either way, good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 03:47 PM   #33
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLiteM View Post

The box has to come down, pretty extensive/costly job Im afraid.
Appreciate 0