BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

07-05-2012, 09:27 AM   #45
Judah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiS5
The car lacked feel and precision.

Compared to what ?
I'm sure if you compare this cars dynamics to its actual competition you will find this car to be quite good.....
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #46
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiS5 View Post
yes definitely opened it up a bit...but driving straight was never why anyone bought an M car, is it? The car lacked feel and precision.
If you couldn't rev the M6 beyond 4k...then your observation is pointless. Hell even my M3 is ordinary till the 4k mark. M cars sing past 5k and unless you were able to experience the car in full M mode...your 1 mile observation stands to fault. Sorry bud.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 02:18 PM   #47
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
If you couldn't rev the M6 beyond 4k...then your observation is pointless. Hell even my M3 is ordinary till the 4k mark. M cars sing past 5k and unless you were able to experience the car in full M mode...your 1 mile observation stands to fault. Sorry bud.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 02:22 PM   #48
DeepSeaLandry
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judah View Post
Compared to what ?
I'm sure if you compare this cars dynamics to its actual competition you will find this car to be quite good.....
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #49
alms211
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

I'm trying to figure out why anyone would discuss an M6 and it's canyon carving abilities, it's rawness or it's driver involvement. Its a high horsepower 4k+ lb large GT car not a nimble drivers car; not even close to even an M3 which is now also a GT car. An M6 has never been a drivers car. It's just bastardizing the original intent and M breed. Do you think the same person is cross shopping an M6 or an SL Benz with even an M3? If they are they are seriously confused on what they hell they want. IMO a former M3 owner that is now looking at An M6 is someone that wants something "more expensive" but doesn't want the driving involvement of something like a 911 but wants an M badge.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #50
JonnyM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Moderately Quick

lol...are you guys seriously getting upset about my observations...here i was thinking we were all enthusiasts haha

how many times did i sate that this car is aimed at a demographic, or is my hacked english on a car forum not legible enough for you guys. If you're all so interested in the car go down to your nearest dealer and test drive it....
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #51
JonnyM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Moderately Quick

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=of...w=1440&bih=740
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #52
Judah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiS5
lol...are you guys seriously getting upset about my observations...here i was thinking we were all enthusiasts haha

how many times did i sate that this car is aimed at a demographic, or is my hacked english on a car forum not legible enough for you guys. If you're all so interested in the car go down to your nearest dealer and test drive it....
I'm not upset, I thought we were having a (forum)conversation.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 09:40 PM   #53
US///M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alms211 View Post
I'm trying to figure out why anyone would discuss an M6 and it's canyon carving abilities, it's rawness or it's driver involvement. Its a high horsepower 4k+ lb large GT car not a nimble drivers car; not even close to even an M3 which is now also a GT car. An M6 has never been a drivers car. It's just bastardizing the original intent and M breed. Do you think the same person is cross shopping an M6 or an SL Benz with even an M3? If they are they are seriously confused on what they hell they want. IMO a former M3 owner that is now looking at An M6 is someone that wants something "more expensive" but doesn't want the driving involvement of something like a 911 but wants an M badge.
Porsche's beached whale the Panamera turbo 4s has some canyon carving abilities with some impressive track times (better than the 1M's,M3).
It can be done.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 09:40 PM   #54
DeepSeaLandry
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90 DCT

Quote:
Not sure I understand how a 911 is the next step from an M3 or any M for that matter? Unless you are simply referring to the more expensive aspect when you consider that to really out class an M3 with a porsche you need to go to a Turbo which is in the $160K range (new).

An M6/M5 is simply BMW's submission into the GT and Sports Saloon market. Similar to what Porsche did with the Panamera, or Maserati with a GranTurismo, or Jaguar with an XKR (S), etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 09:43 PM   #55
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSeaLandry View Post
Not sure I understand how a 911 is the next step from an M3 or any M for that matter? Unless you are simply referring to the more expensive aspect when you consider that to really out class an M3 with a porsche you need to go to a Turbo which is in the $160K range (new).

An M6/M5 is simply BMW's submission into the GT and Sports Saloon market. Similar to what Porsche did with the Panamera, or Maserati with a GranTurismo, or Jaguar with an XKR (S), etc.
Its a logical progression upwards...where do you go after an M3..another M3..meeh? maybe if the new one is as good as the old..but I will probably go for a 911, Ferrari or Lambo next

The M6 just caters to a completely different driver/buyer imo.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 05:41 AM   #56
alms211
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by US///M3 View Post
Porsche's beached whale the Panamera turbo 4s has some canyon carving abilities with some impressive track times (better than the 1M's,M3).
It can be done.
I never said it couldn't be done vis a vis lap times. I'm saying that once you go bigger than a car the size of an M3 (such as a Panamera, M6, M5, CTS-V, etc.) you lose those attributes that make it a "driver's car" and it becomes a sporty cruiser type.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 05:48 AM   #57
alms211
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSeaLandry View Post

I don't recall saying that it was. I was using a 911 as a reference point. However, it is the normal progression for many buyers (not so much me as I owned a 997S before I owned a E92M3). I found the performance to be the same in the two with the M3 a much better DD but the 997S a better driver's car. You do not have to go to a 911 Turbo to outclass an M3 in Porsche's line-up. While I think the M3 is a phenominal car (owned an E46 and an E92), even a base 911 is in a different class of car. Not that that matters.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 11:01 AM   #58
US///M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I never said it couldn't be done vis a vis lap times. I'm saying that once you go bigger than a car the size of an M3 (such as a Panamera, M6, M5, CTS-V, etc.) you lose those attributes that make it a "driver's car" and it becomes a sporty cruiser type.
Well you said the M3 was a GT car now yet you couldnt figure out why the OP was comparing the M3 to another GT.
Btw a lot of M3 drivers trade their M3's for other cars like the GT-R that lack rawness,or cant be considered driver's car. There are many GT-R vs M3 threads,that's what makes car forums i guess.
i really enjoyed the OP's review although i kind of expected the outcome. I think his review was spot on.
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #59
alms211
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Well you said the M3 was a GT car now yet you couldnt figure out why the OP was comparing the M3 to another GT.
Btw a lot of M3 drivers trade their M3's for other cars like the GT-R that lack rawness,or cant be considered driver's car. There are many GT-R vs M3 threads,that's what makes car forums i guess.
i really enjoyed the OP's review although i kind of expected the outcome. I think his review was spot on.
The M3 is a GT car as is the new Boss 302 Mustang, C63 and a GT-R. The M6, the SL Benz, CLS Benz, Panamara, Jag, Maz GT, et al are cruiser GT's. To think that an M6 is as nimble or handles as well as the M3, 302 Mustang, C63 or GT-R is ludicrous. What I am saying is there are different types of GT cars.

The point of my post wasn't to the OP. It was to those that are trying to compare the driving dynamics of an M3 vs this new M6.

I agree with the OP's review as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #60
amgthis
Tire Racks
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupè

I'll reserve my judgements for this car seeing that you barely even drove it. I also find it highly unlikely you got the rear to slide out during a test drive. That is just plain abuse and not sure any dealer would tolerate that.
      07-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #61
Ice350
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Lexus GS350

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
thanks for the review. I have to say you dampened my thirst for this car. If they took the driving excitement out of the car, then why even buy a M6? I think most ppl would be better off with the 650i. Anyways, perhaps the outgoing V10 M6 is the best combo of power and driving experience.

Just a quick edit, M6 competes with the SL AMG, not the CLS AMG yet, unless they release the M verision of the gran coupe.
You should always drive a car yourself before deciding anything. Remember, the op is comparing the M6 to his M3, which squews his opinion a bit. Plus, it seems all the latest BMWs are less tactile than past models. Apparently, BMW thinks drivers want a more luxury oriented car. Or they are trying an experiment. Who knows but drive it yourself. I am.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #62
US///M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice350 View Post
You should always drive a car yourself before deciding anything. Remember, the op is comparing the M6 to his M3, which squews his opinion a bit. Plus, it seems all the latest BMWs are less tactile than past models. Apparently, BMW thinks drivers want a more luxury oriented car. Or they are trying an experiment. Who knows but drive it yourself. I am.
+1

The E39 M5,was a real M car.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 06:50 AM   #63
alms211
Banned
Rep

Quote:
+1

The E39 M5,was a real M car.
+2; e39 M5 was fantastic
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #64
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
+2; e39 M5 was fantastic
+3. Had to let mine go a few months back and still miss it..
Appreciate 0