BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

02-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #23
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
Good luck with that one. I remember a friend had one back in the day. You would see clumps of hair in the sewer at the end of the block after it shed. What a mess. Cute. But what a mess.
That's exactly what we see. There's a big field where the dogs walk and there are big clumps all over the place... and his owner is a gay stylist and salon owner so I'm pretty sure he was brushed well.

White hair and shedding is a cleaning nightmare and they shed a shitload. No amount of brushing will keep the hair from getting all over the car, furniture, back yard, clothes, etc.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 04:30 PM   #24
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 04:32 PM   #25
guardianangel3290
Free at last
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Audi S-line Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post

wow...

**If the possibility exists that you may have "failed" in either a normal or "epic" fashion, please follow this link.**
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 04:34 PM   #26
guardianangel3290
Free at last
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Audi S-line Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MC View Post
We have had the dog since he was a puppy. My to youngest siblings were born while we had the dog and he did just fine with the pulling, and tugging that toddlers do with pets. He is extremely mellow and loves to just sit on the couch with you. We joke that he thinks he is a cat sometimes.

any input on the breeds shedding?

**If the possibility exists that you may have "failed" in either a normal or "epic" fashion, please follow this link.**
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 04:57 PM   #27
mileydog
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW

Simply put.
Requires lots of attention.
Coats sheds a lot.
Extremely smart.
and
most importantly, your Shiba Inu will soon turn into your best friend and you will soon be just fine with the required attention, shedding, and constant attempts at outsmarting you.

You will quickly fall in love with your new friend. Trust me!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 10:49 PM   #28
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

That's a very cool breed. However, you should read up on the breed. They are very territorial and usually doesn't like other dogs. I like the dog because it looks cool but would never own one because most things I've read about them seemed like they would be a handful.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 10:54 PM   #29
chungdae
The Asian Sensation
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Alpine White M3, S1000RR

My best friend has one and he is very mellow, unless you want to play with you. I remember a few times where I jogged with him and Rocky (the dog) and would go on and on.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 11:01 PM   #30
stimpy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 12:29 AM   #31
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
Lol...hadn't read the second page and posted the exact same thing. Work at least twice as well a conventional brush.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 09:30 AM   #32
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MC View Post
I have one, had it for 5 years. Seriously the best dog I ever had.
I do not own a Shiba, but one owns me. This is her...

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 09:32 AM   #33
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep
Drives: Bandwagon

This is the only dog I have wanted since my ex-girlfriends parents stole my dog. I am afraid of the shedding though.

I absolutely love the breed.
      03-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #34
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Mine is 6 years old now. At one point we adopted a second, but they started to fight too often and vet bills get expensive. Obviously every dog has his/her own personality, but in general Shibas really are high maintenance.

9 times out of 10 they are NOT off-leash dogs and as others said they are escape artists. We put a second gate in front of our apartment door just to make sure she doesn't bolt out when we open the door. It has happened quite a few times. And catching her takes hours. Luckily she hasn't been hit by a car. Once she escaped through a small crack in the patio which we deemed IMPOSSIBLE for her to get through. She escaped while we were at work and I got a call from the shelter. It was a good thing we had her chipped because she didn't have her collar on at the time. The dog catcher said it took them literally an hour to catch her.

My dog can open all the doors in the house (handle-type knobs). I put child proof locks on places I didn't want her to go to, but she would grab the handle with her mouth and just hang on them until the child locks would break. They are problem solvers and live for it. Most of the time it means you can have a ton of fun with them because pushing them to solve problems and seeing their intelligence is just very rewarding as an owner, but it also means if they have a very negative objective, you'll have a much harder time breaking the bad habit.

They shed their inner coat 2x a year. And during those 2 times, it's really bad. There's nothing you can do about it. Brushing helps, but it's endless and will be all over your clothes, furniture, and carpet. You just have to accept it. Keep a lint brush by the door and use it before you go out. On the plus side, shibas in general don't really smell. We haven't washed our shiba in about a year now (she's primarily indoors except for walks 2x a day) and she doesn't smell. Yes, I did the friend test as well. Had a friend who doesn't visit often come over and he said the house didn't smell like dog and my dog didn't smell either.

As far as training goes, they are nothing like labs. They are super smart, but they have no drive to please humans. Don't expect the dog to come when you call him. They only work (read: listen) for food/treats. My shiba knows how to stand, sit, lay down, play dead, and roll over on command, but only for treats. We can also put treats all around her and tell her to wait. Getting her to do those things without treats is like pulling teeth.

I've known some shibas that crave for human attention and love to get pet, but neither of mine were like that. It's fairly rare for my dog to come sit next to me and want to get pet. If you want an affectionate dog, Shibas probably aren't for you.

Hope that helps a bit. They are rewarding dogs to own, but definitely not your typical "family dog".

Here's a photo of mine:

Notice she has a harness. Had to switch to that because she knows how to escape from a normal collar. And it doesn't help that their necks are about the same width as their head. Once they learn how to escape, they will do it every time.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 11:34 AM   #35
Nutballa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F13 M6 // BMW F22 M235i

oh Yeah! I remember I went to Texas Mile and some guy had one walking around. I really liked that dog and remember asking the owner what type of dog it was.

Jack Russel terriers are very smart also. I could teach it a new trick in around an hour.

"Power is nothing without Control" - Pirelli.

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #36
Seattle S65B40
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I have one! He's the man too. He's just over a year old and he is black and tan. I will post pics when I get home and provide a little more detail on the ownership of a Shiba.

Club 6MT
2008 E92 M3 6MT, AW/Blk Ext., brushed aluminum
2006 E46 M3 ZCP 6MT Carbon blk/blk(sold)
2001 E46 325Xi 5MT Jet Blk/Blk (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 12:16 PM   #37
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutballa View Post
Jack Russel terriers are very smart also. I could teach it a new trick in around an hour.
My parents had one that killed 2 cats and is the only dog that ever bit me, and I have a pit bull. They also have REALLY bad separation anxiety. My brother was also bit by a different Jack Russel this fall and had to seek medical attention. They're smart dogs but have some really big issues.

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 12:51 PM   #38
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
My parents had one that killed 2 cats and is the only dog that ever bit me, and I have a pit bull. They also have REALLY bad separation anxiety. My brother was also bit by a different Jack Russel this fall and had to seek medical attention. They're smart dogs but have some really big issues.
I wouldn't blame the breed. In that case you can say pit bulls should be banned because they are dangerous and kill people. Dog behavior is generally a result of their care and training.

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #39
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardianangel3290 View Post
Can you elaborate on that. Of all the reading I've done on the breed, almost everything paints the picture of the the dog being a bastard. I presume much of this is written by women though, so whatever. lol

Do you have any tips or insights?
True,
Like most high energy breeds they tend to be bastards if they don't get the right amount of exercise and mental stimulation. If you dont have a big yard, and the time to go for long walks (1hr + a day) I would look into getting a treadmill for the dog.

I have 2 Pitbull's and a large yard but they still get a little antsy sometimes so a couple miles on the treadmill with me solves it right up. Ive known a Shiba, never owned one, but from my experience with them and my Bully experience I feel comfortable with this advice

Also,
For food - Stay away from cheap Vons brand dog food, they need something good like Taste of the Wild (what I feed mine) Salmon blend.

Chicken, Duck, Beef, and Venison can bring up allergies in dogs and make them fart - which is not fun.

Any dog questions, im happy to help
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 01:10 PM   #40
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
I wouldn't blame the breed. In that case you can say pit bulls should be banned because they are dangerous and kill people. Dog behavior is generally a result of their care and training.
I don't think I said anything more extreme about Jack Russels than you did about your Shiba. I was speaking from experience - my own experience, just as you were. I never said any dog should be banned so let's not make that leap. I am well aware of stigmas and how unfair they can be.

That being said, I'm pretty sure my parents never fed their dog gunpowder or beat him with chains. The other dogs owner was a wealthy woman who my brother was driving to the airport. 2 dogs, 2 bites. I lived with my parents dog for years and he was great most of the time but he would go absolutely bat shit crazy when you would try to leave the house - barking and biting. It is a known issue with the breed, much like the things you described about the Shiba. The cat thing is a born-in trait as they were bred to kill small animals - I don't blame him for that but it can still be a liability when you have cats walking around the neighborhood with loving owners.

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 01:17 PM   #41
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
I don't think I said anything more extreme about Jack Russels than you did about your Shiba. I was speaking from experience - my own experience, just as you were. I never said any dog should be banned so let's not make that leap. I am well aware of stigmas and how unfair they can be.

That being said, I'm pretty sure my parents never fed their dog gunpowder or beat him with chains. The other dogs owner was a wealthy woman who my brother was driving to the airport. 2 dogs, 2 bites. I lived with my parents dog for years and he was great most of the time but he would go absolutely bat shit crazy when you would try to leave the house - barking and biting. It is a known issue with the breed, much like the things you described about the Shiba. The cat thing is a born-in trait as they were bred to kill small animals - I don't blame him for that but it can still be a liability when you have cats walking around the neighborhood with loving owners.
Yes I was purposefully exaggerating with the pitbull example, but that's only because it's how a lot of people feel about them (obviously, not me). I've known 2 jacks and never heard of them being aggressive or biting anyone before. But I don't know the breed well enough to know if that's a common trait.

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 01:18 PM   #42
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

More dog pictures. Less arguing.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #43
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Yes I was purposefully exaggerating with the pitbull example, but that's only because it's how a lot of people feel about them (obviously, not me). I've known 2 jacks and never heard of them being aggressive or biting anyone before. But I don't know the breed well enough to know if that's a common trait.
whew! I admittedly get defensive when people talk about banning breeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
More dog pictures. Less arguing.
No arguing here!

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 01:26 PM   #44
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

Quote:
Yes I was purposefully exaggerating with the pitbull example, .
I hope so...
Appreciate 0