BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

11-30-2010, 11:41 PM   #1
giem
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

2011 M3 DCT: Engine Oil Problem / Engine Grinding Noises, opened by PUMA

Hey there, a little new to the forum. Purchased a new 2011 M3 DCT a few months ago and unfortunately the car is at the dealer for some engine problems. What started out as an engine oil warning problem, turned into engine grinding noises in low gears. Currently, BMW service is opening up my new M3 engine with just 9,000 miles, authorized by PUMA. Just wanted to share my experience so far and just looking for some insight and wisdom into the situation.

-

9 days ago, my engine oil sensor read "Engine oil low, +1 quart". Next day, brought to dealer and when checking the car, engine oil warning went away. Dealership just explained the M engines have a very sensitive electronic dipstick and there should be nothing to worry about.

So I drove away and while driving, the engine oil light came back on again. A little confused, I drove back to the dealer and left the engine running this time so they could see the engine oil warning. The Service Advisor saw the engine oil sign, but by the time the tech took the car into the garage the sign had disappeared again. At this point, I saw that something was either wrong with the engine oil sensor or that there was a leak somewhere.

While talking to the tech, explained how the oil warning keeps coming on and off. Tech said, he could add 1 quart of oil but worried the car might then say "Engine oil too high, please check and drain".

Said as long as it doesn't say in red, "Engine oil too low, please stop driving. Continued driving can cause engine damage. Immediately add oil," you should be ok. Just in case, I picked up a quart of Castrol 10-W-60 and left in car trunk.

Next day, "Engine oil low" warning comes on but I keep driving while remembering what the tech said, "…these M cars have a sensitive dipstick." Then, just as he said the "Engine oil too low" warning in red came on and warned to stop driving and immediately add 1 quart of engine oil. I pull over, grab the Castrol from the trunk, and give it to the car. Relieved, I start driving and minutes later, the car says "Engine oil too high, please check and drain." #FML

Feeling little concerned, I turn and drive home carefully and take the car into BMW the next morning on Saturday and explain to Service Advisor. BMW tech drains the engine oil and adds oil to optimum green levels. The tech said everything is ok now. This ought to fix the problem for good, or so I thought.

I return back to life and drive the car and see the check engine oil light turning on and off, daily. Next day, the red engine oil warning is coming on. I try ignore the warning, knowing that BMW just drained the engine oil and refilled to optimum levels. The car must be confused and Thanksgiving weekend is about to start.

While driving, the engine starts to make grinding noises. Hoping it's really not because the engine had little - zero engine oil in it.
Investigating a little further, the grinding is loudest in low gears and from a stop. I start to get really worried about this purchase decision and thinking this situation, it can't be normal.
There's just no way.

I bring it in first thing Monday morning at 7 AM and explain to a different Service Advisor. He seems to understand the seriousness of the situation and my unshaved chin. Service Advisor calls me the next day explaining the check engine oil light went away and is working normally, and the tech was able to reproduce the engine grinding noises.

In just one week, I have been at the dealership 4 times and as of today, the vehicle has been at the shop for 5 days and a new engine is being opened up with orders from PUMA for the grinding noises.

-

So - at this point, not sure what my options are,
but for a start:

A. Document everything, contact BMW NA, and find out information about BMW buying my car back

B. Look into the lemon law

C. Worst option, look into trading-in/selling

Don't think I want to keep the car.
What do you guys think?
Any advice, insight, and wisdom would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-SG
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2010, 12:48 AM   #2
lve2xlr8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Did you get service documentation for all of your visits?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2010, 02:16 AM   #3
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

well at least the car looks nice.

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2010, 02:16 AM   #4
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

I'd go for B, just 'cuz that's what I did, and it worked out well for me. *Shrug*.
Appreciate 0