BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

09-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #23
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikbmr View Post
I was just killing time... I though it was funny to keep repeating the 'confused' smiley
      09-02-2011, 06:44 PM   #24
Lorde
Ya ya ya, I am Lorde, ya ya!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 2015 SQ5

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Buy a 1991 Camaro. Problem Solved.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 06:49 PM   #25
Stainless 45
Captain
Rep
Drives: Last of the V-8 Interceptors

Should have told him his 1991 Camaro is a piece of shit, and he wouldn't know a "nice car" if one came up and bit him in the ass.
Blue Thunder -2011 LeMans Blue e92 DCT, ZCP, European Delivery. BPM Stage II. Dinan 3.45 Rear. Borla/Encore Innovation Exhaust, LUX Angel Eyes, Forgestar F14's, Turner road armor. "Last of the V-8 Interceptors, a real piece of history..."
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 06:57 PM   #26
1Sleeper
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimSimma View Post
Its interesting to read the responses to my issue. I guess on these forums it's difficult to express tone of the situation and every nuance of how everything went down.The officer pulled me over within 25 yards of me passing him....I noticed him and clearly wasnt revving my engine excessively. I barely got out of 1st gear before his cherries came on so he didnt even get to hear my car for no more than a few seconds.

Me getting an aftermarket exhaust is totally on me....I get that. It's the risk I take. But his tone about my "nice car" and the way he mentioned the same thing to my wife in a seperate instance seems like he's profiling by class. The way he also threatened me in front of my kids that I will be summonsed the next time he sees me and could receive jail time seems extreme and inappropriate....over what, an exhaust????!!!!

Anyway, I've spoken to my next door neighbour who is a retired officer and he agrees that the officer I encountered is out of line. He suggested that we file a complaint directly with the Inspector of the officer's division which we will do on Tuesday after the long weekend.
That sucks. Dont worry about the yoyo's in the thread, has it occurred to any of you how much louder your car is than say an Accord or a Lexus? I guess you people bought the M3 because its quiet and gets good gas mileage? LEO's are like the people on M3Ppost. A really good group of people with a few douchebags mixed in.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 08:25 PM   #27
VegasEgg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless 45 View Post
Should have told him his 1991 Camaro is a piece of shit, and he wouldn't know a "nice car" if one came up and bit him in the ass.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 08:58 PM   #28
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

This is why I pay for legal insurance. $15/month and I have a lawyer for every out-of-line cop that thinks he writes the laws.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 12:23 AM   #29
BlackSaphr
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

a nice car= 91 camaro... i can just picture what kind of cop he was lol!

seriously though, guy sounds like he was an asshole and on a powertrip, most of the time these kinds of cops look for any aggravation towards them and the slightest wrong move or sentence out of your mouth and your screwed

if i were you i would just pay it, and keep the exhaust on. If you have time to fight it and go to court, good luck.

I remember hearing a story about a guy who fought a ticket on his corvette, proved that the stock exhaust on a C6 Z06 was as loud as his C6 with a borla, made a whole video and everything and won
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 01:22 AM   #30
08E92M3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimSimma View Post
So on the way to dropping my kids off at the daycare this morning I got pulled over by the police. I knew I didnt do anything illegal so I wasnt sure of the cause.

When the cop approached me he mentioned that I have an improper muffler on my car that's too loud. (I have an Active Autowerke's exhaust on my '08 M3). I asked him how he knew it was too loud. I asked if there was a sound level that my car had surpassed and if he had a decibel metre to in fact deem my car to be too loud. He responds by asking if I can hear any of the other cars passing by. I mention yes and he says that they're not as loud as me. I respond by asking how do you compare a V8 engine to a 4 cylinder car. He doesnt respond but asks me for my information.

After 10 minutes he returns with 2 tickets....one for improper muffler ($110) and one for unnessary noise ($110). He tells me my options which are to "fix" my muffler and the tickets can be tossed or I can proceed to fight them in court which I plan on doing. He finishes by saying, and I quote "I know you have a nice car and like your nice car and I too have a nice sporty car that I like. I have a 1991 Camaro. But I dont need to hear your car. If I see you again I cant write you the same tickets but I will summons you to court where you can do jail time".

WTF!!! At this point I mention that I've lived in the area for over 7 years, have passed numerous police without issue and havent so much as received an infraction in my car of any kind. He says that I havent seen him before and that if he sees me again he will summons me to court.

The kicker is, that this same cop pulled my wife over in her Lexus IS250 for going through a stop sign less than a month ago (which she too is fighting) and he kept mentioning to her stuff about her "nice" car.

So, my question to you fellow M3 owners:

- Have any of you ever received such tickets for your aftermarket exhausts? If so, how did you handle it?
- Have any fellow Canadians (in the Toronto area especially) ever encountered such tickets?
- Should my wife and I file a formal complaint with his division for his behaviour and comments or will this open a can of worms with other cops coming down on us as they do tend to protect their own?

Any feedback you can provide would be appreciated.

Cheers.
Looks like he's a nice car hater!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 01:42 AM   #31
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

In my experience most cops are actually pretty reasonable, unless you start arguing. I've been pulled over for various things over the years. In all cases I was respectful and admitted my wrongdoing and most times I was let go with a warning. The worst thing you can do is to argue your case and try to prove he's wrong and you're right. I don't think this has ever worked in the history of man, where the driver wins an argument, and the cop admits you're right and lets you go.

If you want to argue, save it for court. If you want the best shot at avoiding a ticket in the first place, be agreeable and don't argue. Police demand respect and submission, as they should because they are tasked with enforcing the law. And if you agree with them, then they got no further beef with you. Police put their lives on the line every single day to protect you and me from the scum of the earth, and they deserve our utmost respect and appreciation. I'm tired of reading posts that bash police. For those of you who hate cops, next time you're in trouble and need help, don't call 911. Just my .02
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 01:51 AM   #32
Asiarush
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 488 GTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall$treet View Post
Sorry but that is what you get for being a sarcastic a-hole to a cop. Regardless of right or wrong I promise if you had just apologized and mentioned it was an aftermarket system but you had no intention on it being illegally loud-you would have been on your way.

Instead you start being a d##k to the cop, even if he is in the wrong, you get blasted with 2 tickets and a day in court.

Learn a lesson and always treat cops with respect even if they are totally wrong. Unless it becomes a point where a cop is inapprorpiate with you or hassling you above and beyond what is reasonable.

On the cop's side however, the AA is a LOUD exhaust and there is not set decibal level that makes it illegal-but rather its the cops discretion of whether he thinks its causing excessive noise which it absolutely is.

In that respect though I do not know how so many harley guys get away with this given their bikes are insanely loud and obnoxious.

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 01:51 AM   #33
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
I was just killing time... I though it was funny to keep repeating the 'confused' smiley

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 03:08 AM   #34
Rshane
M-Flight Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikbmr View Post

2015 Audi S4 Prestige, Brilliant Black S-tronic
2012 Le Mans Blue 135i M Pkg DCT
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 09:15 PM   #35
eringobragh
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Comedy!

fight it in court and laugh as this jerk gets taken apart by the judge he has to explain this to!!

Worth the time you have to book off to fight it for sure!!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 02:11 AM   #36
joseph328
Private First Class
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: 992 Turbo S , E92 M3, Audi SQ8

Quote:
Sorry but that is what you get for being a sarcastic a-hole to a cop. Regardless of right or wrong I promise if you had just apologized and mentioned it was an aftermarket system but you had no intention on it being illegally loud-you would have been on your way.

Instead you start being a d##k to the cop, even if he is in the wrong, you get blasted with 2 tickets and a day in court.

Learn a lesson and always treat cops with respect even if they are totally wrong. Unless it becomes a point where a cop is inapprorpiate with you or hassling you above and beyond what is reasonable.

On the cop's side however, the AA is a LOUD exhaust and there is not set decibal level that makes it illegal-but rather its the cops discretion of whether he thinks its causing excessive noise which it absolutely is.

In that respect though I do not know how so many harley guys get away with this given their bikes are insanely loud and obnoxious.
Your father is a cop or are you a cop?

Don't go that deep ...

OP: Good luck with that.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 07:24 AM   #37
X2Board
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: I'm back, bitches! '13 E92 ZCP

Quote:
Neither I am someone who likes to get out of tickets and avoid court. Better things to do with my time and better ways to spend money. Nothing off my back to act polite for 5 minutes in the face of a cop in the wrong.

Gotta play the game in life and lose your pride once and awhile
Cha-Ching!!

I've gotten out of several tickets this way, even when the officer had me dead to rights. Being humble costs you nothing, but it can save your ass.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 10:20 AM   #38
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderco10 View Post
Police put their lives on the line every single day to protect you and me from the scum of the earth, and they deserve our utmost respect and appreciation. I'm tired of reading posts that bash police. For those of you who hate cops, next time you're in trouble and need help, don't call 911. Just my .02
I am sooooo tired of hearing how cops put their lives on the line every day to protect all of us helpless "civilians" from the scum of the earth. Do you realize that being a cop is one of the safest jobs on the planet? Do you realize that the vast majority of cops killed on the job are killed in traffic accidents? You want to talk about people that put their lives on the line to help the average person? Try farmers, fisherman, minors, truck drivers, oil rig workers, iron workers, electricians or people in the construction trades. Every one of those is more dangerous than being a cop. If you don't believe me try the

US Bureau of Labor Statistics.

The majority of cops are decent, hard working, honest folks. However, there is a not insignificant number of douche-bags wearing badges and carrying guns out there. So there is nothing wrong with people coming out and complaining when they've been treated like crap by someone who's job it is to serve and protect.

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.

Last edited by Radiation Joe; 09-04-2011 at 12:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 12:37 PM   #39
Mjolnir
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Le Mans Blue ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelrock View Post
Aftermarket doesn't mean illegal. Most of the complaints I see are from people, in situations, where cops have not proof other than "it sounds loud".
I am not suggesting after-market = illegal. OP says he has an Active Autowerkes exhaust. We all know it is much louder than stock so let's not bury our heads in the sand.

I don't know about Canadian judges, but in the U.S. I seriously doubt the Court is going to need anything other than the cop's testimony on how loud it was to convict. Just the reality of it.

Last edited by Mjolnir; 09-04-2011 at 01:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 01:20 PM   #40
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
I am sooooo tired of hearing how cops put their lives on the line every day to protect all of us helpless "civilians" from the scum of the earth. Do you realize that being a cop is one of the safest jobs on the planet? Do you realize that the vast majority of cops killed on the job are killed in traffic accidents? You want to talk about people that put their lives on the line to help the average person? Try farmers, fisherman, minors, truck drivers, oil rig workers, iron workers, electricians or people in the construction trades. Every one of those is more dangerous than being a cop. If you don't believe me try the

US Bureau of Labor Statistics.

The majority of cops are decent, hard working, honest folks. However, there is a not insignificant number of douche-bags wearing badges and carrying guns out there. So there is nothing wrong with people coming out and complaining when they've been treated like crap by someone who's job it is to serve and protect.
Another great post from Joe.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #41
SimSimma
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 MW

I fully agree with Radiation Joe in that the majority of cops are decent, hard working and honest folks. I have no beef with the police. As I mentioned previously, it's difficult to put every aspect of my occurrence with the officer in a thread or it would be pages long.

I was never disrespectful or raised my voice to the officer. I referred to him as sir and only asked him in a tone of curiousity as to how my vehicle was too loud. It can be his interpretation that it is but I have a right as a citizen to put this to a challenge in court which I will do.

My next door (a retired officer) has given me much to consider. I live less than 1.5kms from the police station. Within the two years I've had the AA exhaust I've passed countless officers with neither of them raising an eyebrow. My neighbour says that there has to be a standard set for what's too loud in the eyes of the police. He believes that enough doubt in court can be given to the fact that why is my exhaust ok with most cops but not one. Where is the line drawn? As previously noted, what does this officer do when he comes across a Harley owner with a stock exhaust which is definitely louder than mine? Does he fine them as well?

I should also mention that the officer told me that our conversation was being video and audio taped. Once my trial date is set to fight these tickets I will request a copy of the video and audio which is my right before the trial. This will show the conversation that took place and how personal the officer got with me and how he threatened to summons me to court where I could do jail time if he sees me again.

I will also speak to this officer's Inspector next week to fill him in on what took place. The exhaust is one aspect of this occurrence. Being threatened in front of my kids is a whole other matter. I want it to be known that I will not run and hide in the neighbourhood that I live and pay taxes.

If this was solely about an exhaust I would've probably sucked it up and paid the fines and moved on. But I will not bury my head in the sand and stand to be threatened by someone with a badge that feels they can weild their power and disrespect those they are paid to serve and protect.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 03:43 PM   #42
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

The AA exhaust is sold as being completely street legal. Do you have an x-pipe that is for off-street use only? If NOT then what more do you need to prove in court? You brought a product that is legal, your car is road-worthy and you weren't doing anything wrong like speeding. Cops in Canada are extra d*cks. Maybe they're being even harder right now because of the $2 million seize in Van city, every cop thinks they have more power now.

Side-note; are there actually any cops on bimmerpost?!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 03:49 PM   #43
SimSimma
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post
The AA exhaust is sold as being completely street legal. Do you have an x-pipe that is for off-street use only? If NOT then what more do you need to prove in court? You brought a product that is legal, your car is road-worthy and you weren't doing anything wrong like speeding. Cops in Canada are extra d*cks. Maybe they're being even harder right now because of the $2 million seize in Van city, every cop thinks they have more power now.

Side-note; are there actually any cops on bimmerpost?!
No x-pipes....as my M is my daily driver I wouldnt attempt to do anything illegal to my ride. I would only consider something like that if I could use it solely for a track car (hopefully one day)
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 09:50 PM   #44
SimSimma
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
You have no clue...
Yeah, unless you've been in the actual situation it's hard to pass judgment. With this kind of forum you receive all kinds of feedback. I appreciate the support (thanks SehrShcnell) and others not so much. Either way I'm not losing sleep over those that dont see my view (which isnt gospel by the way....just the way I witnessed it)

By the way, I hope everyone has seen the amazing documentary on Senna. See it in theatres while you can. Not to change the topic of this thread but it changed the way I viewed F1.
Appreciate 0