BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

09-13-2013, 12:09 AM   #1
madburnz
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

DCT Software Issue

I bought a used 09 M3 two years ago and the first thing I did was bring it to the dealer for scheduled maintenance in September 2011. During that visit they recommended an update to the DCT software and since then I have one of the few M3's in the U.S. that requires the seat belt to be fastened or the car will not engage Drive or Reverse until the seatbelt has been fastened.

Last year during the yearly service I asked them to put my car back to the way it was so it would not require the seat belt to engage the transmission. They said it was not possible, which I took to mean they did not want to do it. With bigger battles to wage such as a kid on the way, busy work life, and house under renovation I planned to resolve this on my next service visit.

So long story short, it has been another year with this feature and I cannot stand it any more.

The car is at the dealer right now, I have asked for this to be reversed again, and they are saying no can do.

Maybe you all could help me with the following:

1. Anyone else ended up with this feature and successfully had the dealer fix this issue so they don't have to put their seat belt on to move the car.

2. I assume I am not being told the truth - it is just software right? They can fix it if they want to with an update to the DME or DCT controller?

I was also told the car has a pulley installed and they cannot replace the belts - any ideas on how best to figure out which size/brand belts I need?

Many Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 01:30 AM   #2
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Get the gts dct software. Maybe that will help?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 06:28 AM   #3
radiofrequency
Field Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP, 2021 M2 Comp

It's not worth fighting the dealer for this, get Mike Benvo involved, he will code your DCT where it will perform in a far superior manner to which you are accustomed, and he can code out some of the annoying quirks such as you describe in your post. While he's doing that, you could also get him to code out the double pull on the interior door handle - that alone just about drove me nuts!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 08:10 AM   #4
Grapesape
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mineral white m4

Alex at Alpine offers the same service. Best $60 I ever spent! So many options, you'll b amazed.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 08:15 AM   #5
X2Board
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: I'm back, bitches! '13 E92 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapesape View Post
Alex at Alpine offers the same service. Best $60 I ever spent! So many options, you'll b amazed.
I'll second that!

I do my own coding for everything else, but Alex is the man to see for the DCT upgrade.
2011 Sapphire Black/Black E70 X5 M - Gone.
2010 Jerez Black/Black E90 M3 DCT -Gone-
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Since nothing is technically wrong with the car, the dealer is under no obligation to do any software changes. In addition, the dealer does not have the ability to go backwards in software installs. They can only do newer.

We can do any changes that you'd like.

In regards to the pulley, it would be best to take some pics and/or see if you can determine which one you have and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #7
madburnz
United_States
Rep

Thanks all for your responses. While i was not looking to spend any dollars on my car right now, I have read about the GTS DCT software and it does sound like it would resolve the two things I don't like about the transmission, which is the slow engagement of reverse and of course the seat-belt issue. I will reach out to one of the vendors here to confirm the seat-belt issue can be eliminated, as that is my biggest annoyance with the car.

I am picking the car up later today and will try to figure out which pulley the previous owner installed. I really want to keep the car stock so perhaps switching back to the OEM pulley or another pulley that can utilize the OEM belts would be the way to go.

The car has 36K miles on it - do the belts really only last that long? The dealer said they looked bad and needed replacing...
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #8
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
I'd keep the pulley setup unless you really just want to run the stock belts. There is no pulley setup to my knowledge that runs the stock belts as that would defeat the need for a different pulley.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 09:36 AM   #9
madburnz
United_States
Rep

Thanks Tech.

As long as I can figure out which pulley I have and the belts are easy enough to source then keeping the pulley makes most sense.

It is good to know it is nothing to worry about, not that I was too much, as I have read and understand why this is an easy mod with a slight increase in power/torque. I also had the idea of keeping the car very close to stock for a few reasons, (1) it is an awesome car right out of the box and can be enjoyed with no modification and (2) I mention to the wife this would not be a repeat of my 335i where something new was arriving at the door every month. So far I have kept that promise - but now that I am coming off warranty we will see if that lasts!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #10
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by madburnz View Post
Thanks all for your responses. While i was not looking to spend any dollars on my car right now, I have read about the GTS DCT software and it does sound like it would resolve the two things I don't like about the transmission, which is the slow engagement of reverse and of course the seat-belt issue. I will reach out to one of the vendors here to confirm the seat-belt issue can be eliminated, as that is my biggest annoyance with the car.

I am picking the car up later today and will try to figure out which pulley the previous owner installed. I really want to keep the car stock so perhaps switching back to the OEM pulley or another pulley that can utilize the OEM belts would be the way to go.

The car has 36K miles on it - do the belts really only last that long? The dealer said they looked bad and needed replacing...
Belts are affected by climate as well as slip wear. Replacing them requires just removal of the electric fan unit and sockets. In Massachusetts, I would imagine the extreme cold season, combined with a humid hot season, can take its toll on the belts.
      09-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #11
Minator
Whatever
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 DCT '09 E92m3 sold

Asshole Dealer

My '09 was purchsed new..the seat belt coding was thrown in on a DTC update and drove me crazy..my dealer cherfully fixed it...Try another dealer..make friends with your S.A.

The car was not delivered to the original owner that way.
Appreciate 0